Decoy dogs in the east

Well, consider me a TT/Gunner fan. The amount of jealousy here is incredible! I just love the critique of Gunner by some of the eastern "experts" and the very astute "Duner" but guess what?...TT and Gunner are still going to be rock'n-roll'n and knocking down yotes while you internet svengali's will be sitting at your keyboard wondering WHAT HAPPENED?

Shut up and HUNT is all I can say to the haters/traitors/bators here (here is your cue, Duane, to delete and ban me, it's no secret that you have a pretty hard time with TT's success)

KJ, sorry about your friend.
I'll never get tired of watching Pepper...

Spined, took the evening off from the interweb, I will be in touch.

Ryan, thank you for that. The check is in the mail
laugh.gif

In the interest of keeping this post moving forward, I'll post up a short video of my dog at 14months old on stand in PA. I actually only decided to try videoing stands after he decoyed three coyotes the week before, and have not ever been able to get a kill on video.

Anyhoo, there is no coyote footage in the video, but it shows a brief glimpse of our terrain and how I like my pup to work it. Thought there mighta been one come from the brush to the left, but nothing ever followed back.

A few hundred yards is about as far as I want him to range, and I DID get a bit nervous when he left my sight. He was gone for a couple minutes, then came back on his own.
After he 'inspects' the immediate area, he will usually come back and sit beside me to watch for movement. But if he sees, or smells anything, he goes on his own...

Hope that wasn't too boring, LOL! But it shows how I like my dog to act on a stand. I want him out front actively looking, smelling, hearing for, and being a visual attractant to, any coyotes that may come to investigate whatever call sequence I use. After about 15-20 minutes, he will usually come back & sit by me to watch for movement. But those first few minutes, he's out front trying to make something happen.
that may sound weird to the 'out west' guys, but the vast majority of coyotes that I've kilt in the open have taken their sweet azz time to show themselves! 45+ minutes on stand is about the average I sit.

For conversation...

Looked good to me how far out he was working. We I am at it is dinner plate flat. So my dog would be able to range a little more and still be able to keep and eye on him.

when they started talking in that video i thought there was gonna be a HIT i mean it sounded like two MOB guys waiting to make a HIT if u ask me.....im just an Indiana REDNECK so i know MOB guys when i hear them....hahahahahaha...nice vid of the dog working.............thx.

Originally Posted By: knockemdownKJ, sorry about your friend.
I'll never get tired of watching Pepper...

Spined, took the evening off from the interweb, I will be in touch.

Ryan, thank you for that. The check is in the mail
laugh.gif

In the interest of keeping this post moving forward, I'll post up a short video of my dog at 14months old on stand in PA. I actually only decided to try videoing stands after he decoyed three coyotes the week before, and have not ever been able to get a kill on video.

Anyhoo, there is no coyote footage in the video, but it shows a brief glimpse of our terrain and how I like my pup to work it. Thought there mighta been one come from the brush to the left, but nothing ever followed back.

A few hundred yards is about as far as I want him to range, and I DID get a bit nervous when he left my sight. He was gone for a couple minutes, then came back on his own.
After he 'inspects' the immediate area, he will usually come back and sit beside me to watch for movement. But if he sees, or smells anything, he goes on his own...

Hope that wasn't too boring, LOL! But it shows how I like my dog to act on a stand. I want him out front actively looking, smelling, hearing for, and being a visual attractant to, any coyotes that may come to investigate whatever call sequence I use. After about 15-20 minutes, he will usually come back & sit by me to watch for movement. But those first few minutes, he's out front trying to make something happen.
that may sound weird to the 'out west' guys, but the vast majority of coyotes that I've kilt in the open have taken their sweet azz time to show themselves! 45+ minutes on stand is about the average I sit.

For conversation...

That is exactly what Doc would do when I had him. He would smell around and trail things and never stay at my stand. More than once, he would go into the woods like that I and I would hear a fight break out, he would come back and nothing would follow. I miss ole Doc.

Good luck with Pokey, looks like a fine dog.

Tucker does like to range out. Sometimes up to 300+ yards. She was about 40 yards out in front of me this morning when I shot a female sitting up on a ridge to my right 150 yards up and over. The coyote wasn't interested in working the dog, but she sure was enjoying the Tucker look.

The neighbor/rancher was with me with his 25-06. His wife emailed me earlier, and then he had called about the problems the coyotes were giving them. We will see if this corrects their coyote behavior some. We would like to wait and hit them again when we get some Arkansas company in a couple weeks but if they call we will have to go.

TuckerBarkersSept1MED.jpg

If it is really about having fun...well we sure are.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: roode301That is a good looking dog not the one with it's tongue hanging out. Nice work to.

LOL! You just missed it. The chubby one's tongue was hanging out after scaling that ridge to check that coyote.

Thanks Jeremy. She has filled out some since you hunted with us.

We need to see some pics of those good lookin potlickers of yours now.

Very nice work Craig. Those are good lookin dogs, specially the one that's still alive. Think we got one here that's gonna look almost identical.
smile.gif

Let's see. New member, 9 posts, stirring a topic that just went useful. Talking like they been here forever.

WTH? Memorex?

Seen this before. Everyone here needs to know there are folks out there who really DO NOT want us to enjoy our discussions on Predator Masters.

Tony, you know this "New Member?" I sure don't.

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKLet's see. New member, 9 posts, stirring a topic that just went useful. Talking like they been here forever.

WTH? Memorex?

Seen this before. Tony you gonna weigh in here?

Not to worry...

This CLOWN likes to come on and get a new membership using Euopean IP addy's. He get's about 8 solid posts in and then get's the Axe.

I'm sure he'll be back in a week or two.

Carry on fellas, he is OUTTA here...

Thanks Jeff! This must be the guy who has my email address. I expect I will be hearing from him soon. I bet he uses the term "Douche Bag." It seems to be his favorite thing. I worry about a person like that.

It really bugs him when I state, "PredatorMasters Rocks."

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKThanks Jeff! This must be the guy who has my email address. I expect I will be hearing from him soon. I bet he uses the term "Douche Bag." It seems to be his favorite thing. I worry about a person like that.

Did you get a odd voice mail on you cell phone today? No reason, just curious.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKThanks Jeff! This must be the guy who has my email address. I expect I will be hearing from him soon. I bet he uses the term "Douche Bag." It seems to be his favorite thing. I worry about a person like that.

CORRECTO-MUNDO!!!

I dont understand what the confusion is about. There is a decoy dog and there is a killer dog. Gunner has a little bit of both. Whats the problem? I say that's the both of best worlds. My dog has brought home anything u can think of, coyotes to foxes to full size deer. Seen it with my eyes. To say if it was in the east would be a different story, wouldn't even be a story. Bring gunner over here and it will be the same result. He has heart and that's all it takes .

Back