Suppressor questions

Dmcgee

I am really wanting to get started with a supressor, I will have to buy a steel one since titanium is out of my price range.

1. What brand is best bang for the buck?

2. I have Read to buy a .30 cal and it can be used for multiple calibers. I will be using it on a AR in .223 primarily but may want to use it on another caliber eventually.

Give some suggestions if y'all don't mind.

2. I have Read to buy a .30 cal and it can be used for multiple calibers. I will be using it on a AR in .223 primarily but may want to use it on another caliber eventually.

I don't own one and probably never will (to pricey for me). But I don't think a 30 cal will be the best for a 223. I really don't think "One size fits all". The guru's will be here shortly and get you the answers you need.

A lot of people do exactly that, but a .30 suppressor and use it for smaller calibers, too. It is very nearly as effective for the smaller calibers, but not quite as good as a dedicated suppressor for that cartridge. If you're like most of us, you can't afford one suppressor for .22 centerfires, another for rimfires, and one for .30 rifles. I know I can't anyway!

One thing you don't want to do though, is shoot rimfires through a sealed suppressor intended for centerfire cartridges. You need to be able to disassemble rimfire suppressors for maintenance and cleaning.

This has a video in it on the next page (17). In it a 6.8 can is used on a 6.8 and on a .223. It will give you an idea of the sound suppression of using a larger (.277) on a smaller caliber (.223).

Note that video, like all videos, will only give you an idea of the difference. The mic cuts out so it is different in real life.

As far as brand, YMMV and everybody has an opinion. Skinney is a dealer and has access to many cans. The rest of us see/use far fewer, so we will have a perspective that is biased toward what we have.

Good for you for getting a can. Once you do you won't be able to go back.

Sendit

If you are are not planing on suppressing a 30 caliber rifle in the near future, i would stick with a can made for 5.56. I have several YHM cans. There is a notable difference between the 5.56 and 30 caliber when shooting 5.56 through them. .not to say that the 30 caliber can doesn't do a pretty good job suppressing the 5.56, but i think you would be happer with the 5.56 can. Besides suppressors are more adiciting than a the black rifles and after owning one, there will be more.

As for brands, I like the YHM line of rifle cans. They are built like a brick sh## house, but are a little heavy. I also have a Gem-tech G5 that is a top notch can. Just my 2 cents. It would probably be easier to decide the DI vs. GP argument than who makes the best suppressor. Look at Major Malfunction's website. He has done a lot of independent testing.

Some pretty good advice so far.
If utility across more than one gun is your goal, then a thread-on 30 makes the most sense.

I agree about YHM. They are big, heavy, and can double as a pry-bar. But thus far from what I've personally seen/used, very well built.
I have a good friend that is convinced that his Surefire is quieter than the Yankee; To me they "Sound" the same volume wise, but have different tonal qualities.

While I don't disagree with the earlier posts that a properly sized can for what you are shooting is the best bet, I bought a 30 cal can for my 223. Once shooting the 223 with the can on, it is not very quiet no matter what you shoot thru it. Yes it is quieter than unsuppressed, but not quiet. So after getting one I started researching other options and built a 300 Blackout SBR for the AR, just threaded a 30-30 NEF for subsonic use, have a QD on my 17 HMR until the 22 can gets approved. Now the 30-30 subsonic is super quiet, the 300 blackout not far behind. That is the fun stuff with the suppressor. The 223 is very hard to run subsonic.

I have a YMH 7.62 Phantom QD and really like its versatility (but alas it is heavy). If I were to do it over, I would probably stick with calibers that suppress well, meaning heavy bullet, slow velocity. Not the 223. I would also save a bit more and buy the Ti can.

Here are some sound testing on with 223 using 223 and 7.62 cans.

sound testing

Last edited:
If I were in your place knowing what I know now. Here is what I would do.

1. Get the lightest/shortest that suppresses the the level you are happy with and make it a .224 dedicated can

I know having a .30 caliber can is good and all if you are going to put it on multiple hosts (my original idea) but in implementation I have found that I rarely move it around and usually have it on my favorite rifle (.223). What I do wish is that it was lighter and shorter.

There is a new company out there (I don't remember the name) you can look it up over on the "hide" and they have an ultra short .223 can and .308 can for a decent price and if I were to do it all over again that is what I would buy.

Heck I am even thinking of getting one anyways when funds will allow.

YMMV

I have a .223 can from Elite Iron and while a tad bit heavy, it is every bit as quiet as the equivilant Surefire, YHM, Thunderbeast, and Gemtech, the only one that seem to be a bit quieter was the AAC. I am very lucky because my NFA dealer carries several cans in stock so you can try them out side by side. I also have an Elite Iron .22 RF can as well, same results. When I get ready to form-4 a .30 call can, I will be going with the AAC just because my Remmy 700 and .300 B.O. upper both already have AAC QD's.

Originally Posted By: DmcgeeI am really wanting to get started with a supressor, I will have to buy a steel one since titanium is out of my price range.

1. What brand is best bang for the buck?
Lots of opinions on brands, in some cases I believe your paying more for a name, than you are performance.

Originally Posted By: Dmcgee

If you want to run one can on multiple platforms, yes go with a 30 cal and run it, some designs I have used are just as quiet as your caliber specific can, due to the baffle design and the internal space.

New guy here - does anyone shoot a .204 suppressed? I think I would like to try shooting my .204 suppressed - it's pretty noisy. Would my surefire 30 cal can work or do I need a more dedicated can?

Originally Posted By: prairiefireNew guy here - does anyone shoot a .204 suppressed? I think I would like to try shooting my .204 suppressed - it's pretty noisy. Would my surefire 30 cal can work or do I need a more dedicated can?
Welcome to PM

Being that you already have a suppressor, why not have the 204 threaded and see how it does? If it's not quiet enough for you, it's already threaded for a dedicated can.

Last edited:
I plan to do just that. I have an AAC 7.62 SDN-6 on hold awaiting the stamp. I plan to run it on my .300 BLK, .260 Rem, .223 and yes, .204 Ruger. No idea how it will sound on the smaller calibers but it's worth a shot. I'll report here first when I do.
wink.gif

Fwiw - I have a cousin who is an armorer for the US Navy - he specifically spends most of his time (or has for the past year) providing support for a Seal team in Afghanistan. Those guys really like the AAC cans. I will be interested in your report on this suppressor. I agree with other posters here - most of use don't have the option of actually trying a variety of suppressors and so we go with what's available from our dealers - and probably most of us are happy with the results.

Back