Benchmark or Varget---Opinions

AROKHUNTER

I have an Olympic Arms AR-15 in 223 with a 16" stainless bull barrel. I have worked up some loads and have it down to 2 to choose from. I am loading 55 grain Nosler Combined Technology bullets in both loads. One load is with 24.4 grains of Varget and the groups are right around 1/4" @ 100 yards. The second load is with Benchmark and the groups are around 1/2" @ 100 yards. My main question is about velocity. I do not have a chronograph, so I can not check velocity myself. Should the Varget or Benchmark produce a little more velocity? The Varget produces better groups, but I think I am sacrificing a LOT of speed with it. I like the idea of the Benchmark powder because the groups it produces are identical to the groups that I get with 55 grain soft point Black Hills ammo. What are the pros and cons of the two powders here? I am REALLY curious about velocity. Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

Don't know about Benchmark, but Varget is a very good powder. I use it for several diffrent calibers. Your load of 24.4 gr Varget is a pretty light load. I run around 27gr in my RRA, don't remember exact numbers. You should be able to hit another accuracy node around 26-27 grs. As always be safe and work your way up.

What is the difference between the point of impact between the varget and the benchmark. Is one shooting lower than the other. It won't prove much at 100 yards. Would probably tell a little more about it at 300 yards if you had a place to get there.

My AR-15 varmint rifle simply loves 26 grains of Varget with either the Vmax or Nosler Ballistic Tip 50 grain bullet. I get unhappy if I can't keep 5 shots under a half inch at 100 yards with this load.

Benchmark seems to work best in my .204, but Varget for my .223 rifles.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: boone3380Don't know about Benchmark, but Varget is a very good powder. I use it for several diffrent calibers. Your load of 24.4 gr Varget is a pretty light load. I run around 27gr in my RRA, don't remember exact numbers. You should be able to hit another accuracy node around 26-27 grs. As always be safe and work your way up.

Yeah, the 24.4 of Varget probably is light. I used Nosler's reloading manual and it lists the Varget loads at 23.0, 24.0, & 25.0 so I stopped at 25.0. I am using PPU brass and it seemed that the 25.0 was pretty full so I just stopped there and decided to go get some Benchmark. I like the way the Benchmark meters and fills the case better than the Varget since the Benchmark is a little finer.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyoteWhat is the difference between the point of impact between the varget and the benchmark. Is one shooting lower than the other. It won't prove much at 100 yards. Would probably tell a little more about it at 300 yards if you had a place to get there.

POI for the Varget was exactly 1/2" lower than the Benchmark @ 100 yards. The only place that I have to use for a range here is exactly 100 yards. I wish I had a longer range, but that is as good as it gets here.

Benchmark and Varget are the only powders I use. My best load for accuracy is the 55 gr. Nosler CT with 24.8 gr of Benchmark @ around 3280 fps. A very close second is the 55 gr. Sierra Blitzking with 26.8 gr. Varget @ around 2950 fps.

Originally Posted By: charlesnchar9eHey skol, are those velocities from a 16 or 20 barrel.

I would guess at least 20 inches but more likely 22-24. That data shows the downside of Varget with the lighter bullets low speeds compared to Benchmark and others more suited to lighter bullets. Varget is a good powder but more suited to heavy bullets in the .223 case. Of course if speed is not important then it's a mute point.

Have used Benchmark and varget both with Benchmark being the better of the two. Using IMR 8208 now and just like I was told if you like the way benchmark meters wait till you try the 8208.

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17Have used Benchmark and varget both with Benchmark being the better of the two. Using IMR 8208 now and just like I was told if you like the way benchmark meters wait till you try the 8208.

I always thought they just sold 8lbs jugs of 8208 and only 1LB cans of Benchmark.

Really BM was my go to powder until I tried 8208. I didn't stick with it because of how it metered but mainly for the fact my groups stayed more consistent with it.

If I had to choose BM or 8208 well I have always liked numbers better then words!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: skolBenchmark and Varget are the only powders I use. My best load for accuracy is the 55 gr. Nosler CT with 24.8 gr of Benchmark @ around 3280 fps. A very close second is the 55 gr. Sierra Blitzking with 26.8 gr. Varget @ around 2950 fps.

^^^
Exactly what I was wondering about.

Skol---
I was also wondering what the barrel length was that you obtained this data from?

Thats what my Savage Bolt gun likes 25.5 of 8208 and 52 g. Matchkings. Hope my new 5.56 AR will like the same combo. My first AR 20" Hbar that I made from a model 1 kit, would practically stack 50 g. Vmax with 26 grains of Varget end to end, but I never got it to shoot over 2900 fps. Benchmark was good enough accuracy with the speed I was looking for.

I have really enjoyed both Benchmark and Varget. The are both sub-MOA loads, I don't have a chronograph so I am not sure of the velocity.

I tend to like Varget better with the heavies and BM better with the lighter bullets.
That said, I'm liking TAC right now and still have like 7 lbs left.......

Back