Decoy dogs in the east

Originally Posted By: btech29Fred, I think there was some give and take on that squabble. I certainly think Gunner gave as much as he took. Tony may have been calling him back? I dont know. I will say there are few dogs Ive seen that would have dished out that much. I know mine wont.

Freddy, you know I like you. Its not that I disagree with what your saying, I just question why your saying it. Aint much need in it. I know, I know, freedom of speech, bla, bla, bla. Thats the problem with this country. Everyone is quick to exercise their "rights". Maybe it would be good if we yielded them from time to time.

Thank you, Jeff. I consider you a friend.

I feel there was a need to it stating what I did, since I feel a dog with that type of 'pile into 'em style' would be a headache on stand, especially here in NY. Of the few coyotes that did stick around with the dog on stand (late summer), they stood their ground just like that coyote did to Gunner. Thankfully, I was hot in the 'tone' and kept the little pup from taking a full frontal azz whoopin'. He peels off like a fighter jet
laugh.gif
He's big enough & quick enough now to prolly drop the gloves, but I'd still tone him off if I saw him about to pile into a coyote. I have 100% ZERO interest in doctoring my dog, if I can avoid it. Prepared? YES. Looking for it? CRAZY!
So, if my comments might make a "newer than me" guy think twice about what he sees in a video, then I'm gonna dang well share it.

In a nutshell, that is why I feel my thoughts were relevant. And I stand by them.

Thanks for the reply, dude!

doc, u dont understand. what is am saying is that if you want to be a critic, prove you are worthy!! just prove it and we will all know that you are not just a sh!t starter.

knockemdown, you are in luck pal, i am a member of the OPHA and i will be at the hunt! i am pretty sure we will not hunt together though. maybe if i had proof that you were a proficiant hunter and not a keyboard killer my mind would change, but there is no proof. to me you are a sh!t starter too.

and you are right pal, you dont owe me anything. but if you want to be a cridict show us some credentails that make you worthy. thats all everyone is saying........

hopefully this dont get in to too much name calling and we can see each other at the OPHA hunt and just prove who the real hunters are. Good Luck!!! it is in my backyard. haha

Last edited:
Doc,

You are one of the guys I did respect and cared about your input and opinion. In the last week or so with all your honest input and cocky nature, that respect has just faded away for me. That's all. Nothin more than that to say, so now I'll quit bitin my tougnue on your be half.

Take care

It boils down to opinion on what a decoy dog should be. I believe a few have made some of this personal as which thats how everything goes. Whether a man is the best pitcher or whose got the hottest wife or who has the best decoy dog there will always be jealous people with their opinions.

There are several guys here with great dogs. Is gunner the world champion decoy dog? No . If there were such competition im sure his name wouof appear in the hall of fame.

I agree numbers dont mean so much and nooone has to prove anything. Tony and Gunner have proven it

As to whether gunner could handle himself with the so common 50lb Plus New York coyote? No doubt whatsoever.

Ryan Fred Uphill have some very good points.

Ryan could not have said it better myself. We know what we need in dogs to get coyotes killed and complaints solved.

Fred you have a very keen eye when it comes to canine behavior, Pokey is lucky to have you as an owner. It is refreshing to see some meat in a post. Fred I luv that east coast attitude, I see it in my hunters in the fall etc.

Tony I want to thank you for posting the fight seen because I hope it shows to those with young dogs and those maybe thinking of getting a dog as to what may be waiting for them on a stand. Should open some eyes.

I know your proud of Gunner as we all are of our dogs. I was given a 3 year old Airdale cross this summer which has the same traits as he does. She luvs to catch and chew and has to be corrected with a collar to decoy. Very different than what I am used to, not so much wrong just different.

I will say that after a summer with her my other dog out produces her hands down on dead coyotes, she provides more entertainment but also blows out a lot of coyotes or causes them to have to be shot at extended ranges. Not to mention the stress factor for me, runnin a collar a caller etc etc. I am spoiled. I am also in business of killing coyotes the more boring the better.

I will make one point, the sound or sound sequences and relating sound to the situation gets overlooked. Coyote reaction to a dog starts usually with the hearing of a sound and then coming to investigate. It goes from vocal to visual and progresses from there. The coyote or coyotes have an idea of long before they see the dog as to whats there and usually prepare accordingly. Whether moving pups away, gathering of adults, etc What you portray in denning season when you make a sound can and does determine the reaction or lack of reaction from the coyotes to the dog. Just somethin to think about. You can see it in videos etc if you think about it.

Opinions are like well we all know the answer to that, you post and well all the feedback ain't going to be positive.

Steve to your original post, yes i think it will work, a close hunting disciplined dog should work the best. I assume it will be in some tight cover so your going to want to keep tabs on that dog. Dog should be a good reason for the agressive coyotes to come out but may be negative deal on the shyer coyotes who will just look thru the edge or circle to get the wind thru the cover. used to live in Iowa and i think we would be dealin with similar problems. If you decide to do it shoot me a PM.

THANK YOU, Randy!
You're prolly right, my 'NY attitude' prolly rubs people along longer than the message I'm trying to convey. Way we do chit here is we speak our mind, got no time to dilly/dally. You are alot more succinct in your delivery and your reputation precedes you...

Last edited:
jglynn-I get it, but if I can somehow prove to you that I know what Im talkin about, will that make you change your mind to my way of thinkin? What exactly were your credentials to be questioning mine? I think whats the most amazing, is that neither the owner or breeder of the dog in question are asking if Im fit to have an opionion on the subject. In fact, the breeder has publicly stated he agreed with me. How many videos and folks agreeing with me, will it take to make you change your mind?

Dasher-Its too bad you feel that way. How would you have liked me to word my input without sounding cocky? Was I supposed to give dishonest input?

coyote roede-Nice post. Taking the emotion/ego out of a discussion can actually lead to some good insight, and helpful information.

Take care.

Anytime you ask a question you are going to get an answer. It may not be the answer you want. Everyone has their idea what they want out of a dog. If you are happy then great. But if you go through read and reread this post or other posts there is allot of good information being posted.

With the exception of Btech dogs and Gunner I wouldnt feed many of the dogs that people are claiming to be decoy dogs let alone post video of them on the net. If you do be ready for a spade to be called a spade.

Randy, I don't know you, but have heard alot about you. Your post solidified what I've heard about you. Very level headed post, backed with experience. You have my respect sir.

Tony

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: btech29

Freddy, you know I like you.

You always did like Fred better than me!
tongue_smilie.gif

Lol! I wondered when you would chime in Larry.

I was wanting to tell you some good news. On the other board you can not type the word yote. Their software automatically changes it to coyote. Just thought that might cheer you up.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Man, there is way too much reading here than I have time on my lunch break from working on fence. I scanned through it

Doc, I haven't produced a superior pup to Gunner...yet. Of course, they are all still young dogs. Three years from now, they may outshine him. I've heard from others about you and believe you've got the experience to back up what you say. I'm cool with that.

Fred, Nice coyote. The red sand tells me you had a good time in Western Oklahoma doing some calling. Most likely with my buddy Kelly. Love seeing pictures of dead coyotes. Thank you.

Tony

Yep, my Okies patnas take good care of me for a few days every year. Anyone can ask KJ what kind of joke I am as coyote caller/shooter, I trust he'll tell ya straight.

In hindsight, I'm gonna go ahead and edit out my last two posts, so as not to detract from what Randy shared. When he talks dogs, I listen!

And from me to you, I apologize if I let my "NY attitude" get too overbearing. Back here, if a point ain't sprinkled with a good dose of attitude, no one seems to take notice, LOL.
I still stand by what I wrote, but I'll try to emulate Randy & Ryan's posting style in the future, so as not to 'smack the hornet's nest' when making a point. Bottom line is, there has been a lot of valuable interaction here in the thread, so maybe a bit of 'tude to get the collective juices flowing ain't all that bad???

Take care & good hunting!

Now this thread is boiling down a little and maybe we can start spreading ideas instead of critiques.

the past hunts are in the past. cant change them. no need to run anyone or any dog down. lets hear some things that will make future hunts better.

this thread went way off course and i dont think that was the OP's intention to what her really wanted to know.

Wow Fred. See...I knew there had to be good intent in your posts. And all this time, I thought it was just another opportunity to ride my azz.
smile.gif

Anyone who's a friend of Kelly is a friend of mine.

It's all good man.

Tony

Originally Posted By: btech29Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: btech29

Freddy, you know I like you.

You always did like Fred better than me!
tongue_smilie.gif

Lol! I wondered when you would chime in Larry.

I was wanting to tell you some good news. On the other board you can not type the word yote. Their software automatically changes it to coyote. Just thought that might cheer you up.
wink.gif

I'm always cheerful Jeff. That's why people like me so much. I'm a true joy to be around. I'm a people person.

Soooooo, how about dog, doggie, yipper, yapper, yotie, mutt, all that other nonsense slang? The software change that too?
lol.gif

Kumbaya at last....

Stay after them
Kelly

PS for some of the new guys, this is the only vid I have on the web. Might be worth 10 minutes of your life. It shows a pup in training that just turned a year old.

I helped put one of my good buddies in the ground today. Hope everyone keeps a good eye on whats important.
Have a good long weekend and spend time with your families.
kj

Last edited:
Back