Kimber pro varmint

I traded some non firearm equipment for a Kimber pro varmint .204. How would this gun stack up to a savage or a dtech? It is unfired and I might sell it to finance another gun purchase. My curiosity is killing me however as to how the gun shoots. Is it a keeper? Despite the occasional bad press that the Kimber handguns periodically receive, my Kimber .45's have been rock solid - so I am assuming this gun would also be above average.

I love my Kimber .204. Shoots very small groups under .5"

Only thing they need a little improvement upon is the trigger. But I'd say its a keeper

Luke,

How difficult would it be to change out the trigger - and which one would you recommend. I've read that the trigger is the weak spot in these guns.

I traded a really nice RRA Pred. for a Kimber Varmint in 22-250. It took me about three months to get the trade done. Now the Kimbers gone and I wished I had the RRA back. I won't bash the Kimber, but will say after I got it,I was very disapointed in it.

Originally Posted By: prairiefireI traded some non firearm equipment for a Kimber pro varmint .204. How would this gun stack up to a savage or a dtech? It is unfired and I might sell it to finance another gun purchase. My curiosity is killing me however as to how the gun shoots. Is it a keeper? Despite the occasional bad press that the Kimber handguns periodically receive, my Kimber .45's have been rock solid - so I am assuming this gun would also be above average.
How much do you want for it?!

I just had my gun smith work on the existing factory trigger. I have three Kimber rifles and all of them have 2# triggers now. No creep, no over travel, great groups.

Keep the rifle. Its well worth it IMO

I dislike Kimber rifles so much that I bought 3 of them.
lol.gif

One is the Classic and 2 are the Montana's. One of the Montana's is in 204 and a very impressive shooter. I'm not sure what you might be looking for in a trigger, but mine are some of the best I've ever had on a factory rifle. Far better than my Remington triggers.
Accuracy exceeded my expectations.

Will probably "test drive" the Kimber this weekend and most likely keep it if it fits well. I am in a bind now as I also have a Cooper in .204 that has a wonderful trigger and is a laser, but I like the repeater aspect in my bolt action guns. I have no problem keeping both, but if one just sits in my safe - that seems like a waste. Probably sell or trade the Cooper. Also have a chance to buy a Dtech in .204. I know they are great guns, but I like being forced to be a little more deliberate in my shooting - rather than the spray and pray routine. Too many decisions! I think I may need a "gun counselor"!!

Originally Posted By: K22I dislike Kimber rifles so much that I bought 3 of them.
lol.gif

One is the Classic and 2 are the Montana's. One of the Montana's is in 204 and a very impressive shooter. I'm not sure what you might be looking for in a trigger, but mine are some of the best I've ever had on a factory rifle. Far better than my Remington triggers.
Accuracy exceeded my expectations.

K22, you are right that the Kimber has one of the best factory triggers that I have ever had as well. I just thought the trigger pull was a bit high for the accuracy I wanted. But they are a heck of a lot better than a factory Ruger, Remington, Browning, etc. But we cant include Savage in this

Quote: But they are a heck of a lot better than a factory Ruger, Remington, Browning, etc. But we cant include Savage in this

This is true. Savage has built the better mouse trap for a factory rifle trigger.
I don't know how low of a setting the Kimber triggers will go. I did set mine at 2lbs. give or take a few oz. For my light weight sporters that weight of pull works great and isn't to bad from a bench. Easy to pull a 6lb. rifle off target even with a 2lb. trigger pull.
I would run that Kimber for awhile and see how it works for you. They come pillarbedded and have match grade barrels which I'm sure is debateable. Mine do shoot real well and clean up very easy. 2 of mine I did go ahead and skim bed them. One of them is still factory. Kimber uses a slave action to bed with. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.
Hard to beat a Cooper, great rifles, but like you I prefer a repeater.
35gr. Bergers or 37gr. CRT bullets work very well in mine. These are pushed with IMR8208XBR and Rem 7 1/2 primers. My 6lbs.4oz rifle and 60yr. old eyes shoot these groups pretty consistently.

Kimber204.jpg

37grCRT.jpg

Not benchrest quality for sure, but works for Coyotes and other varmints well enough. A better shooter would probably improve on those groups. This is the factory bedded rifle with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 scope. In my case, more scope would equal worse groups.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: prairiefireK22 - I would be happy to have shot those targets!

That's nice of you to say that. I'm certainly not as good as I used to be. Must be an age thingy.
scared.gif

I was shooting my other 2 Kimbers this morning, working up another load/bullet. The Montana (17 Rem.) is shooting 5 rounds in just under a 1/2" @100yds with the 30gr. Nagel T-000 bullets.
laugh.gif
That'll be my backup or hopefully an out West Coyote trip.
I'm still working on the Classic. 1 1/4" @100yds. is not good enough.

Back