Decoy dogs in the east

knockemdown, you are so full of crap!! i rewatched that videos several times now. Gunner may have gotten a little close but the coyote was the first to bite. and he was also the 1st pinned to the ground.... TWICE! where in the world do you ever see Gunner getting whipped???

this only further more tells me that you are full of it and only want to talk crap.

i cant believe that a person would go as far as calling out a dog on here!

i hope you or others dont ever call my dog out on here because im not near as nice as Tony and im sure eventually we may run into each other.

just a fair warning. i will never degrade a persons dog and i EXPECT the same!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SpinedKnockemdown, I've seen several videos of your dog treeing and baying squirrels. You seem to be an expert and critic on decoy dogs. Can we see some of your videos of your dog working coyotes?

Expert, NO.
Critic, ABSOLUTELY.

If everyone needed to be an expert to post on this site, then there's be precious few threads for you to throw mud at from the bleachers.

Don't like my opinion? Try forming your own to counter mine and use some facts instead of sidesstepping with a inquiry about my dog.
BTW, if you'd like to see him hunt, you are more than welcome to fly up here for the weekend. I'll put you up, feed you, and even crack your cold beer afterwards. We can coyote hunt, coon hunt, squirrel hunt, whatever you want to see. NO CHARGE, either...
smile.gif

(and please note that I didn't ask you to qualify your comments with videos of your dog
wink.gif
)

And I'll extend the same courtesy to Tony & Gunner.
Fly yourselves up here and I will put you on every coyote hotspot I've found over the last 12 or so years here. We will burn through them all in a couple days and my season will prolly be wrecked for buring them, but I'll do it if ya come!
I will personally guarantee that you will be calling directly to coyotes in prime private land. Bring the cameras, and make a webisode out of it, if ya like. We can call all day and all night long, I won't stop if you don't want to...

I'm serious, too.

BTW Tony? Everyday is squirrel season here.
And you can poke fun at my dog all ya want, hence the name
smile.gif

He doesn't have my ego to carry around, so he can 'handle' it and so can I, LOL!

My point for the offer is to show that I don't hold any animosity toward Tony, or anyone else here for that matter.
Tony & I have a few mutual friends and I respect that.

THAT SAID:

jglynn, I'm just calling it like I see it in the video. Gunner did GREAT after he got squared away by that coyote.
If you need info on how to call a dogfight, please consult your local bulldog man. Yep, the coyote hit the ground and came up with Gunner's face in his mouth! When they broke free, Gunner turned from the fight and they broke holds.

If you guys see it differently, that's fine.

Just PM me your trip dates and flight details when you'd like to come hunt with my Vizla
wink.gif

Also, feel free to bring YOUR dog to show me how to hunt my coyotes the way YOU do it back home.
Coyote season starts Oct. 1st

CONSIDER THIS AN OPEN INVITE TO ALL PM MEMBERS WITH DECOY DOGS
I'd love to see your dogs work!

Jeff, what did you see differently in the video than I did?
Did Gunner NOT pile into that coyote?
Who quit the fight first?
And who didn't want anymore the 2nd time?
Did Gunner 'decoy' the coyote into range intially, or did Tony call him in?

LET's BE HONEST HERE

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: trapper2well you guys can black ball me if you want but i have to say i agree with fred and doc on part of this one, after the fight gunner did go to decoying and done a fine job, i have had dogs do the same thing he did but the first thing i was looking for was the button to the shock collar, i want a dog to go out and get a coyotes attention but not get in a death roll with him, now if a coyote rolls one of mine up then yea fight him till you get loose and come to me, but dont just go throat latch one off the bat, i have enough med bill on dogs as it is, but after the fight, yea he went to decoying and did alright, and on the first stand, well it looked about like all of mine, shoot and miss one and mine will roll out and try to catch one.

and no doc mine dont run down coyotes single handed and kill them, i did have a dog one time that would if the stars lined up but he wasnt much of a decoy dog, he was a hog dog that got moved to decoy cause he was all i had at the time, never really lost the catch mind set.

steve, to answer your questions, no i have never used decoy dogs in your country but i have hunted both sides of the river and yep you guys got bigger coyotes, and thicker cover where i was at. if you think a small dog would work better cause of the hounds then try one, i like a smaller dog but in thick cover i would want one to work alittle closer then i like and because of it being smaller, but dont think a small coyote wont whip the pants off a big dog sometimes, i have seen big dogs get whipped by little 20 pd gyps with pups in the ground and i have seen 25 pd dogs run off the biggest dang male in the country, so you never can tell what will happen on a stand with a dog. so now if you will take everything wrote in this post by me and .98 cents you can buy a cup of coffee, but if you do get a dog, hunt him alot and have fun is the most important thing

Ryan, please allow me to throw you under the bus with a quote
smile.gif

Guys, Ryan is the guy Tony bought Gunner from.
Read the first line of his post and consider that before piling on little old ME for sharing my opinion.
I do understand that it's alot easier and more enjoyable for you guys to focus on talking me down though.
But don't be too hard on Ryan... THANKS
laugh.gif

This PI$$ me off what happened to this thread. I came here looking for help and it turned into this.If you have info to help or knowledge offer it. This HORSE CRAP of the attacks on a Proven man and his dog In MY EYES IS INSANE!
As to the dog dance the only one that got it's but whooped is the coyote by a 55grain vmax!
We are all hunters and why some think it is fun,cool or whatever to tear each other appart is FOOLISH. AS hunters we need to stick together and fight with the ones that want to shut us down.

Wow. At what length does one go just to try to convince someone they are right?

Thought we were all on the same side of the fence. Even Ford vs Chevy guys get along better.

Tony - Good videos! I have told my hunting buddies about them and they are watching them too! Every time I see your pups I am a little bummed I didn't go that rout but maybe I will when I get another.

As far as Decoy dogs East vs West - I think it all comes down to your needs and style. Find a dog that works for you, share your experience and enjoy that of others who enjoy doing the same thing.

Originally Posted By: DasherLost a bunch of respect for some of you. What a bunch a know-it-alls. You would think that the knowledge you posess is priceless.
thumbdown.gif
Think some might try a lesson on some respect and civility here. Hope you know who you are.

Tony, continue to listen to your dad's advice. sheesh

Hey Evan!
I don't think any knowledge I share is worth anymore than anyone else's and likely alot less.
But that won't stop me from sharing an opinion about what I see.
The last part of the video I was critical of was when Gunner went piling into that coyote

Is that how you like your dogs to work?
Do you disagree that that 'style' could lead to MAJOR problems with larger coyotes?

For the eleventeenth time, Gunner did GREAT after he quit the fight with the coyote.

Put more of that stuff up, and I'll cheer with a Pred U t-shirt on. But it always seems that it is the aggressive interactions that Tony loves to showcase. (That's why I never bought a shirt ) Dog fight vids, bloody face pics, trapped coyote training, etc. And for what? Is the world of "decoy dogging" all the better for it? Methinks, no. And I dang sure ain't the only one, I'm just one of the few who will take a ribbing to mention it.
I think the "picking a fight" style for coyote decoying might make good video, but it sure don't make for anymore dead coyotes. The guys who just like to see their dogs chew on coyotes will naturally disagree, but the guys who prefer a more passive dog might feel differently. My opinion always has been that a more passive style will make a more proficient decoy dog.

And if all this argument back & forth is really just about whether Gunner 'won' a 10second scrap with a coyote, then I'm at odds with you.
I made those comments to relate to how that type of interaction would likely go here in NY. IE, not good!
If ANY dog piled into a coyote like that here in NY, odds are they'd be in a world of trouble! ANY DOG...

If it were your dog in the video, or anyone elses, I'd tell you the same exact thing.
None of any of this is personal attacks against man, or dog.
I'm not jealous of ANYONE's dogs. Sure, I'd like to have the same opportunity to hunt as Tony does, but that ain't my line of work.
So I can't complain there...

Sorry if you feel let down by my comments.
If a guy sharing an honest opinion is grounds for that, then there's nothing I can do about it.
And the "high road" to some might not be as far up there as it seems if you ain't walkin' on it...

Take care, Evan.

Originally Posted By: roode301This PI$$ me off what happened to this thread. I came here looking for help and it turned into this.If you have info to help or knowledge offer it. This HORSE CRAP of the attacks on a Proven man and his dog In MY EYES IS INSANE!
As to the dog dance the only one that got it's but whooped is the coyote by a 55grain vmax!
We are all hunters and why some think it is fun,cool or whatever to tear each other appart is FOOLISH. AS hunters we need to stick together and fight with the ones that want to shut us down.

LOL!
YOu got some advice, take it for what it's worth.
I'm not trying to sell you a puppy, just trying to heed some words of caution if you decide to run one in your AO.
Agree, the only thing the coyote got whooped by was the bullet, LOL!

Yes, we ARE all hunters!!!
WE do need to stick together. We also need to 'police' ourselves.
You mentioned fighting the ones that want to shut us down. Would you care to explain how posting an explicit video of a fight between a dog and a coyote could help in that regard??? How is that type of footage helping ME if that footage can very well be used against ME to take MY dog away???
Is that self promoting dogfight video HELPING you keep your dog out of the spotlight???

Again, good luck and stay safe out there...

doesnt Tony have international sales of a DVD? are not there members on here from all over the world? this forum in on the WORLD WIDE WEB?

Roode301
I plan on hunting my dog at night a good bit, I think the recovery work alone will pay for the kibbels,

good luck and best wishes

kockemdown do you have any pups forsale if so I would like to take a look at them to. I figure the most dersfied I can be the better off I am.

No sir. I have one dog and hunt strictly for fun and have no intention of breeding/selling pups. Any pics/vids I put up on the web are just me braggin' a bit, or to aid in proving a point. No veiled sales pitch behind them...

If that makes my opinions any more or less valid, that's for you to decide.

"Sorry if you feel let down by my comments."

Fred, I could care less about your comments or the video. Have not even seen it. What is disappointing is the egotistical air that some people portray here. There's better things to do than just pour fuel on a fire or get one started in the first place.

There's much more to life than argueing about things that don't really matter. Don' know what ever happened to the idea of "if you don't have somthing nice to say, don't say anything at all"Yes I know I'm guilty as well, but workin on it.

What ever you all want to do is certainly up to you. But now ya know how I feel, though I don't think that matters.

Take care brothers

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: the impactzoneI got your kill dogs hanging http://www.flickr.com/photos/25762480@N00/113165376/

never herd Tony rep Gunner as a kill dog, but as a decoy dog that from time to time will catch & kill and he's not the only one saying he is one of the best after seeing him work,

Don't know what that coyote weight was but I have stood next to Tony, and Gunner and i have shot plenty of coyotes over 50lb (weight on scale) and I'd have to say that coyote was way closer to 50+lb than 35 lb and the first coyote looked closer to 25-30 than 15 any day of the week.

impact-My discussion with Tony started after he said Gunner runs down coyotes solo. I was skeptical, and he told me to watch a video. The video did not show ME anything that changed that impression.
If you really believe that coyote is 50+lbs, then you dont have much expierience with coyotes, or you went to the same story tellin class as Tony.
I rated Gunner as a good decoy dog, but a poor kill dog...if you disagree with that, then we wont ever see eye to eye on the subject.
You have accused me of "spinning it" but Im not tellin the story, Tony is, I dont need to spin it. I gave my opinion of it...a different opinion is not the same as attacking, so dont confuse the two. Tony has done more side stepping, and avoiding questions than answering them with "grace and integrity" but thats his perogative. Oh, and I mean that in the nicest way...gooooo Gunner, ooooh ahhhh

roode-I have never decoyed a coyote in Ohio. I have killed hundreds of coyotes with dogs...do you believe they are so different in Ohio that my expieriences with them wouldnt be applicable?

trapper2-Thanks for the honest and straight forward answer. Its amazing how quickly a topic can be covered when folks arent dancin around it.

Take care.

Evan, guilty as charged.

BUT...read again and you'll see I did compliment the dog for working well after turning from the fight. Just that I don't agree with the "pick a fight" part, and made commentary to that effect.

You choose to focus solely on what I said that may have been 'not so nice' and choose to ignore the fact that I did type a sincere compliment? I meant it, too. Gunner decoyed that coyote back to Tony like a champ! (I LOL'ed seeing him get taken to task beforehand though)
Point is, handpicking what you don't like about my post is your perogative, and I don't fault you for it. Happens all the time. No harm no, foul on my end
smile.gif

I've said it before and I'll say it again, every gosh danged post on every gosh dang webforum on the interweb would be one big circle jerk if we all agreed all the time.
Some call it 'stirring chit', I call it generating dialogue.
You state your case, I state mine.
Hopefully that will stir other members to share their thoughts and hopefully add something relevant to the discussion. But that rarely happens anymore, for fear of peoples' feelings getting hurt and other members crying foul for doing so. And so goes another infomational thread down the tubes because some guys can't handle seeing another member in a position to stand by their post(s) and feel the need to pontificate how "wrong" it is to question what is shared over the interweb.

REALLY???

Are we not all grown men here?
Can we not all handle both positive AND negative feedback?
Is it that some members here above reproach and cannot not questioned/critiqued without it being perceived as some type of personal attack?

(rhetorical questions, I won't drag this out)

Watch the post count of this thread keep climbing. Truth of the matter is, members L-O-V-E following these kinds of back and forth threads. Some read along and make comments from the bleachers about "pissing contests" and whatnot, but never seem to have anything tangible to add to the discussion??? That always cracks me up!
Others however actually add some honest & valuable info, but that gets swept under the carpet, since everyone would rather see a battle of wits, over a discussion of facts.
Can you see where the allure of viewing dog/coyote fights comes from now? LOL!

This is getting to be a broken record now, so I'll stop...

Last edited:
Yes I believe they are very diffrent.Could you come here and kill some maybe but if you come here and use the same tatics you use out west. MY bet is your not going to kill very many at all. I am more than willing to offer up my hunting ground and have you guys with decoy dogs come and show me how it is done. Also if it coyotes are the same as out west don't you think there would be more DVDs and predators shows filmed in the east I think so.

Dasher-You will bite your tongue off if your not careful. Dont hold back, if you have something to say, let er rip tater chip!

Gunner fan club-If you need me to wear the black hat, Im fine with that. I wont pull punches because you dont like my opinions. I judge my own dogs twice as hard as I did Gunner. If my opinions are worthless to you, then feel free to skip over any post with my name on it. When a post is made on the WWW, on an open forum, its open to opinions, and reading them or putting any stock in them is your own personnel choice. If I am addressed, I will respond.
I can always tell when someone is in a bind, they start avoiding the questions, changing the subject, and start the name callin/threats. Feel free to point out anything I have said that is not true, and I will defend it, or admit I was wrong.

jglynn-I rarely sell dogs, so no need to have a website or videos all over the WWW. If I do sell one, its usually when someone contacts me, and offers me more money than I think a dog is worth. If you look around, Im sure you can find plenty of pics of my dogs. If you look real hard at some of the decoy dogs that are sold on THIS site, you may even find my name behind many of them...LOL

Take care.

Guys still talking s#it and not posting videos........

Common guys, prove to us your knowledge of a decoy dog so we will all know if your "critisism" is worth a pile of dog crap and if it is real.

knockemdown, you are a freakin idiot!! Just shut your mouth and show us how a "real" deoy dog works!! Please for the love of God!

if you hunted as much and you pounded on a keyboard, you might get enough experience and knowledge to judge anyone.

Surely you have one stinking video of the 10 coyotes you killed all of last year to prove your point!!! Surely.

Doc, i hear you are a very good dogman and have good dogs. so we are waiting for videos of your decoy dogs as well.

proof is in the pudding guys, so give us some FREAKING PUDDING!!!!!

Fred, I think there was some give and take on that squabble. I certainly think Gunner gave as much as he took. Tony may have been calling him back? I dont know. I will say there are few dogs Ive seen that would have dished out that much. I know mine wont.

Freddy, you know I like you. Its not that I disagree with what your saying, I just question why your saying it. Aint much need in it. I know, I know, freedom of speech, bla, bla, bla. Thats the problem with this country. Everyone is quick to exercise their "rights". Maybe it would be good if we yielded them from time to time.

Originally Posted By: jglynnGuys still talking s#it and not posting videos........

Common guys, prove to us your knowledge of a decoy dog so we will all know if your "critisism" is worth a pile of dog crap and if it is real.

knockemdown, you are a freakin idiot!! Just shut your mouth and show us how a "real" deoy dog works!! Please for the love of God!

if you hunted as much and you pounded on a keyboard, you might get enough experience and knowledge to judge anyone.

Surely you have one stinking video of the 10 coyotes you killed all of last year to prove your point!!! Surely.

Doc, i hear you are a very good dogman and have good dogs. so we are waiting for videos of your decoy dogs as well.

proof is in the pudding guys, so give us some FREAKING PUDDING!!!!!

You really have a 'knack' with people, LOL!
As if that request would get you anywhere with anyone?
laugh.gif

Listen here, pal, lets get something straight.
I don't owe YOU, or anyone else a dad gum thing.
I ain't trying to sell YOU, or anyone else a dad gum thing.
I post what I want, where I want, when I want.
If you think I'm not any kind of a hunter, then so be it.
If you think I need to prove that to YOU, or anyone else, then you are sorely mistaken.

Want hunt proof? c'mon up! I'll meet ya with a smile and a cur that'll prolly want nothing to do with you, LOL! But he'll warm up after a while...
Or, join OPHA and come to the hunt over the winter. I'll be there with my Okie peeps and a bucket on my head.
We can shake hands and have a Miller lite, or not. Maybe we'll share some stands and you can judge for yourself what kind of hunter you think I am...

until then, have fun and take 'er easy...
smile.gif

jglynn-"Feel free to point out anything I have said that is not true, and I will defend it, or admit I was wrong."

If the amount of coyotes someone has killed is the determining factor on if their opinions are valid...I doubt most the folks complaining about mine, would qualify.

Take care.

Back