Old eyes and scopes

Does anyone find themselves changing scopes as you age. I know that the exit pupil at age 25 is much larger than at my age (62). I have found a moderate difference in scope suitability as I have aged - but never thought about it in terms of exit pupil size. Probably over thinking this, as I usually try a scope and pick the one that works the best for a given application. Just curious if any one actually made scope purchase decisions based upon the exit pupil dimensions of a scope.

I have never thought of your idea about exit pupil of a scope. I know some scopes were easier to use. This spring I had cataract surgery on both eyes and I have new lenses in my eyes. I love seeing iron sights again. I went out bought two new handguns, a glock and a sig. I am slowly taking scopes off some my rifles. The others I have had to reset the scopes. I love been able to shoot my Winchester 1894 again. Have you had your eyes checked for cataracts?

IMHO you are going about this the right way. I will soon be 57. I always take the exit pupil in to account when I look at optics. A larger exit pupil makes it easier for me to see more of the field of view in lower light. I am not moving my head off my stock as much to find the proper eye position. I tend to by 30mm scopes and use a Beartooth products Comb Raising Kit on my bolt guns.
http://www.beartooth-products.com/shop/vmchk/comb-raising-kits.html

Back