Decoy dogs in the east

Originally Posted By: roode301Hey Tony! how about posting some pics of those cur cross pups.

Just check my website (www.PredatorUniversity.com) I have pics of most of them. I wouldn't want to post pics here and have them over analyzed. Hahaha
smile.gif
And to think....Tanner Huff wondered why nobody posts in this forum.....duh!

Jeff, YOY means year old yote.

Tony

btech what is your in put? Do you have any advice I have seen your clips and you and your dogs look like they know what they are doing. Would you or have you hunted them at night or late dusk or early sunrise where you need any kind of false light.

Thanks Tony, I kinda thought so but wasnt sure.

roode, Im on the edge of whats considered the east. My landscape is prolly much like yours. We are not allowed to hunt coyotes at night so I really dont know. I have zero experience.

I would guess a coyote is a coyote. Ive killed a 46 pounder here in Arkansas. I know several folks that have killed 40 plus pounders in Oklahoma. You dont really want your dog fighting one no matter how big or small it is. IMO. I wish I could help, but I just dont know.

Thanks btech I don't want a fighter or a killer either.I have a 51 lb male & 41 lb female mounted so I don't want a dog I spend more time getting him out of trouble than hunting. I want a smart good working dog but If he has to fight be able to handle it's self till I get there or one of my hunting buddies.

well you guys can black ball me if you want but i have to say i agree with fred and doc on part of this one, after the fight gunner did go to decoying and done a fine job, i have had dogs do the same thing he did but the first thing i was looking for was the button to the shock collar, i want a dog to go out and get a coyotes attention but not get in a death roll with him, now if a coyote rolls one of mine up then yea fight him till you get loose and come to me, but dont just go throat latch one off the bat, i have enough med bill on dogs as it is, but after the fight, yea he went to decoying and did alright, and on the first stand, well it looked about like all of mine, shoot and miss one and mine will roll out and try to catch one.

and no doc mine dont run down coyotes single handed and kill them, i did have a dog one time that would if the stars lined up but he wasnt much of a decoy dog, he was a hog dog that got moved to decoy cause he was all i had at the time, never really lost the catch mind set.

steve, to answer your questions, no i have never used decoy dogs in your country but i have hunted both sides of the river and yep you guys got bigger coyotes, and thicker cover where i was at. if you think a small dog would work better cause of the hounds then try one, i like a smaller dog but in thick cover i would want one to work alittle closer then i like and because of it being smaller, but dont think a small coyote wont whip the pants off a big dog sometimes, i have seen big dogs get whipped by little 20 pd gyps with pups in the ground and i have seen 25 pd dogs run off the biggest dang male in the country, so you never can tell what will happen on a stand with a dog. so now if you will take everything wrote in this post by me and .98 cents you can buy a cup of coffee, but if you do get a dog, hunt him alot and have fun is the most important thing

Fighting one's self out of a bind and rollin' into a coyote to "pick a fight" are two totally different things. Tony openly admits he likes his dogs to bring the "fight" to the coyote. That's why I think it's hysterical he'd put a video up of his Gunner getting an attitude adjustment by a decent sized one! Then the 'Jedi mind trick' sales pitch to tell us he got the better of the coyote? C'mon...

YOY = Young Of the Year coyote, aka a puppy.

Given the PM Hunt is in January, that'd make that small female coyote the three dogs caught to be about 10 months old. Not particularly impressive for three dogs to handle one puppy coyote 1/3 their size.

BTW, I did see fur fly at the shot. However, not finding a "bullet hole" after three dogs have mauled the body & kilt it dead is perfectly understandable, LOL!

EDIT: typing same time you were, Ryan!

Last edited:
My Dad always told me to take the higher road and rise above the chit, but dang Fred...you tempt me to stoop, sometimes.
smile.gif

Isn't it squirrel season up there or something???
lol.gif

Tony

Tony I'm going to give you a call tomorrow on the black & browm lacy and the black & white cur and talk a bit. Wife give me the ok to talk and find out a little more.FYI wife really likes the black & brown one.

Uphilldoc & Knockemdown,

Both you guys spin it worse than any Democrat on CNN, you should both be on The View! Your just a couple of nick picking old bags on the rag.

I have had enough, I don’t see any post of your dogs, I don’t see you replying to attacks on you or your dogs or your kennel with the same grace and integrity that Tony has shown during all of this.

Attacks yes but again not with answers that show the same grace and integrity that Tony has shown as well as respect to the forum and its members.

Maybe because Gunner has learned from his dad who has in many eyes,,, decoyed you out to be the jerks you are. You may think your kicking his azz on the WWW and gained some sort of recognition in the world of decoy dogs but in reality you just showed your own azz

I am done, Be gone with the both of you, and may I never hear or speak your names again.
Long live Gunner

Knockemdown, I've seen several videos of your dog treeing and baying squirrels. You seem to be an expert and critic on decoy dogs. Can we see some of your videos of your dog working coyotes?

Tony, I admire how you take so much crap and rarely retaliate. You are a better man than I.

roode, good luck with what your new dog. I would sure do my research on the advise you get on here. Look at the experts past posts and see who really does, and who just talks good. I was on an online coyote killing contest on another board last year. I joined a month or two before the contest started. Man I was blowed away by the vast knowledge spewing from the fingers of all the experts. I was like, DANG! These boys are the real deal. Well the contest started and everyone started posting the pics of their kills. WOW! Most killed 3 or 4 and many killed none. Its easy to "regurgitate" what someone else says.

Originally Posted By: btech29 Well the contest started and everyone started posting the pics of their kills. WOW! Most killed 3 or 4 and many killed none.

Hey now! I was looking for my dog for most of that contest.
lol.gif

Lost a bunch of respect for some of you. What a bunch a know-it-alls. You would think that the knowledge you posess is priceless.
thumbdown.gif
Think some might try a lesson on some respect and civility here. Hope you know who you are.

Tony, continue to listen to your dad's advice. sheesh

Last edited:
I watched the video of the gunner fight and the whole episode made me laugh. It was very well put together, good footage but every time you said "gunner is the most talked about decoy dog in the world" I just couldn't help but laugh. I think you should of said " Gunner is the most talked about decoy dog on predator masters" cuz most people have never heard of gunner outside of this site!! I understand about being proud and all but come on.

Wow the jealousy in this thread is unreal. With fame comes haters. I sure didn't see a coyote Gi ve gunner a licking. I seen gunner hand it to that big male pretty good personally and am quiet positive I heard Tony say he was fixing to tone gunner back. You say the eastern coyotes are bigger and more pack oriented? Thats the dumbest craps ive ever heard. Sure we have some bigger coyotes but is every coyote you guys kill a 50lb Plus coyote? Why Heck no. Are there some well ya but not every one. And I dar e say gunner could handle himself fine with one. As far as packing up together coyotes in the west are quiet often multiples comin to the call in the east doubles and triples are fairly rare. And to say the only reason gunner is the most talked about dog is because Tony is the only one talking is the biggest load of craps of all. If this comes across as personal it was intended to.I consider Tony a good friend and to watch a couple of nobody's bash him when they have no clue of what they are talking about chaps my azz pretty bad.maybe if your dogs were proven people would talk about them and you wouldn't feel the need to be trolls.
g is cause

Originally Posted By: roode301No doubt! Thanks for all the help guys. Some of it has been real helpful.

Roode301, Good luck on your quest for a hunting partner. I know I am thankful to have had my first decoy dog Doc and now have Havoc to hunt with and add a new level of excitement and worth to the hunt. Havoc is turning out to be a wonderful addition to my family and hunts.

As for Gunner in the latest video. That coyote started the fight. Gunner veered to the right and the coyote lunged at him. Gunner set the record straight and that was that. I would bet that rancher had lost some dogs there in the past, or there was a den nearby that caused that aggression.

As for this subforum and the bickering. I have been reading books and watching lots of dog training videos lately and I can relate a lot of what goes on in here to too many pack leaders trying to piss on the same fence post for dominance...
lol.gif

Tony, nice work on the videos and your partner Gunner.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
I dont totally agree that Gunner was whipped in that scene. what i saw was a coyote bigger than Gunner get totally body slammed!! i have hunted with Gunner and seen him in action. he is a very versatile dog that does his job very well. im sure the ratio of decoying and actually make physical contact are 90 out of 100. sometimes crap just happens.

what i did see for sure was a dog decoying coyotes. and i have seen many videos of dogs out of Tony's stock decoying coyotes. Hundreds of videos!

what i havent seen was very many videos of yal guys on here that are talking so much crap. especially you knockemdown. ive seen your dog run through the woods and chase squirrels and you are fine with it and actually brag about it. but i never have once seen a video of your dog decoying a yote. not saying he wont, he may be very good at it, but i have yet to see it. my guess is you kill 10 or less yotes a year. knowledge comes from expierence. my guess is you dont expierence many coyotes a year, so that speaks for your knowledge.

i really dont know Doc. seems like all he likes to do is talk trash about everyone besides his "click". never seen a video of his decoying expertise. ive read on here where you have nice dogs. maybe you can prove your knowledge and post some videos????

so here is how i see it. you guys that are talking crap, prove to us how good you are and post us some good footage for us to enjoy..... (and not at chasing squirrels!!).

as for me, i am kind of a newbie. only been on here a few years. i kill a bunch of coyotes due to sheer luck and a little bit of skill. i am learning everyday. but what you will not see me do is come on here and talk trash to someone that has proven himself by posting videos to back it up.

jealousy will make the mind say (or type) some crazy stuff.

Last edited:
and yfzduner450, i know 40-50 people around my parts that are not on this forum that knows about Gunner. good news travels fast my friend.

Back