.308 on wolves

Predator257Roy

Anybody out there shot wolves with a .308. I'm looking at shooting 175gr Accubonds. Hoping they go in small and exit small. Any thoughts? want to save the pelts and full body mount one if I can score in Alaska in a few weeks.

Roy, I'm assuming you might also have a .257? If so, I'd use that. Plenty of cannon. I think a .308 would destroy a pelt. Just my opinion.

I do have a .257, but airlines frown on guns not in a case. Mine is simply too long for my cases and I'm not buying a .50 BMG case for my .257. My wife ordered me a Pelican 1770 case, so right now I'm planning on bringing my .338 Win mag, and my Custom Armalite SASS .308. If there is still room in the case I'll pack the AR-15. Really I was hoping the .308 Accubond would work and not expand much on a wolf.

.308 will sure kill 'em but it depends on the shot and what you hit, how big the exit hole will be. Taxidermists can sew.

.308 ain't too bad on them, getter done. I shot one running away at 20yds in the butt
ohmy.gif
. No damage that time.

I have seen a couple others taken with .308 and it does do some damage but a wolf on the ground with a little taxidermy work to do is better than one that doesn't come home with you.

Just to clarify, not that it makes tons of differance. The bullets will be 175gr or 178gr Hornady A-Max's can't remember the exact weight, think it may be the 178's. Got confused with the .338 I'm taking, those will be Accubonds 225gr.

If you put it right behind the shoulder, it should not damage much. Shot a coyote with a .308 and he didn't get damaged. That is extremely lucky though.

Back