Ran out of adjustment

Originally Posted By: dpollardCatShooter, Thank you very much. I don't feel beat up. The fact of the matter is the rifle is one of the first in the 700 series made by Remington so it's VERY old so I'm not surprised about what you're saying about the bases, as they may be as old as the rifle.

I will look into getting a more modern set up like the ones you suggest.

Thanks again.

It must be VERY old - the current ones have a handle above the trigger to open the action and reload it!

lol.gif

By the checkering, it was made in the mid 1970's... it was the first Remington rifle that had machine "cut" checkering, instead of stamped.

There is a lot I don't know about guns, reloading, ballistics and etc. The more you know; the more you realize how little you know.
I was fortunate to have some GOOD mentors at the beginning of my 'firearms education'. And, I think I learned well. Some things posted on these forums 'make sense' some don't. Use your brain!
Almost everything I have seen posted by "Cat" has made sense. That, along with his education and his life experience through his profession leads me to trust his advise/opinion. But, I still have a mind of my own. And, I do sometimes tend to examine/re-examine some of what he says.
In short take what "Cat" says to heart. He knows of what he speaks.

CatShooter,

Thanks! I bought the ones you suggested last night. Getting them mounted today. Thanks again for your patience and follow through with me. And thanks to all the others who gave me advice as well.

Originally Posted By: dpollardCatShooter,

Thanks! I bought the ones you suggested last night. Getting them mounted today. Thanks again for your patience and follow through with me. And thanks to all the others who gave me advice as well.

Let us know how you make out.

Mark2

dpollard,,,To 'center' your scope, you need to place the objective end against a mirror with a light off to the side...This is easier with the scope removed.. When you look through the scope while against the mirror, you will usually see two reticles...adjust the elevation and windage turrets until you see only one..At that point your scope will be centered...

Now, re-install it and while looking through the bore (bolt removed) and center the bore view on an object approximately 100 yards away (I use a neighbor's basketball goal) and then adjust your scope rings, with the screws in the bases, to the point that the scope is centered from a windage perspective...That will get you very close to center until you can do the final fine tuning on paper...

Back