Decoy dogs in the east

Hahahaha. Fortunately, I've never had to do that Phil.
lol.gif

Instead of having to wait till tonight, I released Episode 5 of my show now. You'll see why everyone who hunts with me, loves this dog and why I'd lay down my life for him.

Check it out at: www.PredatorUniversity.com/tv

Tony

Last edited:
thanks Tony, and I"ll have you know that thing tracked me down and wailled outside my door like a love sick courger, my 75 year old landlord looked at me and Said Boy you need to raise your standards even if this is Alaska

Ok guys let't not do this again.I don't want my dog to catch them or bay them up want the dog to work them and increase my odds. If I wanted to catch or run them with hounds I would go back and do that again been there done that. We had a kill dog that was a plott,pit,greyhound cross that walked through any coyote we put him on but at times it got a little harry. They also don't pack up here most I have ever seen was three toegher and they were pups.

Tony what does one of your started dog cost or to train a dog PM me if you want to. Thanks Steve OH and I will be watching you can bet on it.

I don't have any problems talking about it here. Heck, it's YOUR thread.
smile.gif

I charge $300 for a weaned pup. I tell guys to take their pup home, love them, let them be pups, introduce them to the family, kids, park, neighbors, house, vehicle, etc... Let them bond with the family, as they are a member. Teach them to come, stay, sit, and all the other things that a disciplined and controllable dog needs. Bring them back to me between 10-12 months old for an intensified training session of 2-3 months. I charge $400/month for training and that includes food and board.

I used to do puppy training and I have some still grandfathered into the old training program, but dogs that have went home as pups and came back for a crash coarse, turned out the be the much better, well balanced dog.

I do have 3 young 6-7 month old males here, of various breeds. Two are kennel raised and one is ranch raised. Being outside males, none would make good house dogs, if that's what you're looking for. They've had only minimal training at this point. One I just got back this morning from a buddy, who bought it as a puppy for hog hunting, but got out of the dogs and sold them all. He's been on a few hogs and I plan on getting him on coyotes, asap.

Hope that helps.

Thanks....Tony

OK just watched the episode.
The coyote they 'caught' was a YOY, maybe 15 lbs.? And that was three dogs on one pup coyote?? That's a bit more believable...

The last stand was obviously a larger coyote, maybe 35 lbs, tops? If so, that would be a smaller than an average adult female here in NY. Big males are over 50lbs and average in the mid to high 40s.

Either way, that coyote was not taking any chit and had the gloves dropped. Looked like a good spat before a couple seconds when Gunner "turned". Guys who know bulldogs know that happens when they are gettin' the short end of the stick...
Seeing as how Gunner basically "turned" away from a decent sized coyote after not easily dominating it in the first few seconds, then proceeded to "turn" again and opt to run away from a second engagement, that just proves my point even more about a single dog handling a decent sized coyote. Remember, that coyote is likely still smaller than an average female coyote back this way.

I encourage everyone to WATCH Tony's dogfight video!

Watch it a few times and see how Gunner has enough and turns away from the aggressive coyote. Guys who know bulldogs know this is the first signs of a dog that is going to quit.
Then, watch again how when the coyote gives chase, Gunner no longer wants any part of the fight. That's all well & good, since I feel that is what a good decoy dog is supposed to do!
As you watch, just imagine if there were two, or more coyotes there that were both bigger than that single coyote Gunner ran from.

How would that stand end up? NOT GOOD methinks...

If one decent sized coyote can change Gunner's mind about engaging, then I shudder to think what three bigger coyotes with the same bad intentions would do???

As easily as that 'big for NM, tiny for NY' coyote shrugged off Gunner and made him quit fighting (he turned & stopped), it's not hard to imagine him, or any other dog, could easily wind up seriously hurt or even kilt by two or more large eastern coyotes.

Cool video, I'm glad you put it up. Good thing you shot that coyote before something really bad happened...

The stand went as planned. Gunner engaged coyote, pick a fight, then come running back to me...waiting with gun. Difference is, this dominate male jumped Gunner and a scrap pursued. (I despise the dogfight comment) When the coyote had enough and decided to leave, Gunner gave chase and scooped him back up for round 2. I called him off giving chase for round 3 and ended it with a bullet.

I totally agree that multiple coyotes can and will jack a dog up badly. We had 3 jump a female that I was training and the owner and I went out for a few stands, when he picked her up. She shrugged them off of a throat hold and flank hold, and came running back, before Gunner could make it out there to save her. He shot the big male and his female dog charged right out there to decoy the other 2.

Back to the Gunner video stand. You asked how would the stand ended up if there were 2 or 3 big coyotes like that. You'd be dang sure that I'd get up and defend my dog. It's definitely a team effort of hunter and dog to get this kind of stuff done.

The YOY in the first stand. Gunner flat caught it by himself, before the other 2 slower dogs hit the brush. Couldn't tell you how many it took to kill it, but he has definitely done it alone in the past.

Tony

knockemdown-You saw exactly what I saw. If I was evaluating Gunner as a kill dog, he would fail. If he were caught alone out of sight of the shooter with a pair or more of aggressive coyotes, Tony would be training a replacement.

Tony-Your videos showed what I expected. The coyotes came to catch your dog...not the other way around!
The first coyote was a baby, and you mentioned during the hunt it was hit and "didnt run off too fast" If you could hear your dogs baying, as both you and the shooter stated, then they werent killing it, they were barking at it!
You have said that you had true running dogs before. If so, you should know there is no way that cur dog is going to run down healthy coyotes, that are trying to get away. Its easy to see in Gunners fight video that the coyote is loping away, and Gunner still cant gain ground. If the coyote was head down running away, he would be away from Gunner in just a few jumps. Do trappers dog regularly run down coyotes, and kill them single handed?
If I owned Gunner...as a decoy dog, I would be proud of him as well, since its clear he does a bang up job for you at that task. The video was awesome, and Im glad you took the time to put it together and post it. My only flaw in the whole thing, is the way your trying to overstate it all. Maybe its the salesman in you, maybe your just a tad kennel blind? No need to lie, when the truth will do.
The reason Gunner is the "most talked about decoy dog" may just be, because YOU are the one talking about him?

Take care.

Uphill how about you stick to trashing Vargy and leave my thread alone. I asked for info and help not a another I know better than you CRAP!

Kockemdown I understand what you are saying about bigger coyotes and night hunting.

From what I can tell TONYS dog Gunner is awsome at what he does DECOYING COYOTES!

Tony Thanks for the info and I may be in touch with you about a dog.

roode-While I dont mind trashing Vargy...I was simply responding to Tony on this thread. I watched a video, at his request, and came to the same conclusions as knockemdown. Not sure what your problem with my evaluation is, but if you cant find any value in it...you wouldnt be the first. If you decide to send your money to Tony, and get your dog ruined by some coyotes at night, just remember this thread.
I guess you missed the part of my post where I said "If I owned Gunner...as a decoy dog, I would be proud of him as well, since its clear he does a bang up job for you at that task. The video was awesome, and Im glad you took the time to put it together and post it."
If you only want folks to agree with everything you say, maybe the WWW isnt the place for you? Its a big ol world, and theres a chance folks may see things different than you hoped...it happens to me all the time!

Take care.

The Problem I have with what you are saying is You do not know where I hunt or the setup. So don't say I'm going to get my dog ruined.

You maybe a great dog guy as others have said but you don't know everything or my deal.

So no hard feelings But I don't know you and you don't know me so don't say bad things are going to happen to my imaginary dog.

I got your kill dogs hanging http://www.flickr.com/photos/25762480@N00/113165376/

never herd Tony rep Gunner as a kill dog, but as a decoy dog that from time to time will catch & kill and he's not the only one saying he is one of the best after seeing him work,

Don't know what that coyote weight was but I have stood next to Tony, and Gunner and i have shot plenty of coyotes over 50lb (weight on scale) and I'd have to say that coyote was way closer to 50+lb than 35 lb and the first coyote looked closer to 25-30 than 15 any day of the week.

No problems Doc. On that one stand, we assumed it was hit and dogs baying. After we got to it, they had it dead and we couldn't find a bullet hole. Once we reviewed the footage on the TV, we saw that he shot high and missed that coyote. No biggie.

Proud? Yes I am. Salesman...yes I am.
lol.gif
Again, I never stated Gunner is the best decoy dog, just the one that everyone who hunts with me falls in love and talks about. Lie....Nope. Never had to. I have had plenty of clients with me that watch Gunner catch coyotes day or night. Is it the norm? Nope. I'm proud of my kids, as well. Are the they best kids in the world? Probably not.
smile.gif

Thanks...Tony

Blackmouth Cur/Texas Blue Lacy
Mountain Cur/Pitbull
Catahoula/Rodesian Ridgeback

None are out of Gunner.

For Gunner pups, I have 2 female Texas Blue Lacy cross pups and 2 female Mountain Cur/Catahoula cross pups. Gunner is the father of them. They will be ready to wean in Mid-Sept.

Thanks man.

Tony

Originally Posted By: TTThe stand went as planned. Gunner engaged coyote, pick a fight, then come running back to me...waiting with gun. Difference is, this dominate male jumped Gunner and a scrap pursued. (I despise the dogfight comment) When the coyote had enough and decided to leave, Gunner gave chase and scooped him back up for round 2. I called him off giving chase for round 3 and ended it with a bullet.

OK, but here's what really happened
laugh.gif

1. You called a coyote well into rifle range with Gunner sitting at your side. Effectively, there was zero benefit of having a dog on stand at that point. It came to your calling, not to Gunner, or any other dog that would have been sitting next to you.

2. Gunner goes out "to pick a fight", only problem is he gets one! That coyote didn't budge a centimeter and Gunner rolled into him thinkin' he'd be ragdolling another 20 lber. Only problem is that this coyote wasn't particularly impressed with Gunner's credentials and proceeded to take the fight to him!

3. Gunner realizes he can't overpower this coyote, so he whirls (TURNS) away. As soon as that happens, coyote retreats. (Remember, coyotes only fight when 100% necesary, fighting is NOT fun for a coyote and could mean life/death for them in the wild)

4. After gettin' a 10 second dose of reality, Gunner turns into a decoy dog! Classic chase, peel off and follow back. I think he did a great job after being spanked by that coyote.

5. Coyote comes after Gunner again, but he DOES NOT engage. Reason? He just got spanked the first time and didn't want anymore of Mr. Wile-E. Again, THIS IS GREAT DECOY DOG WORK now! Gunner is back in reality and acting like a good decoy dog should! Luring a coyote into range, not trying to kick the [beeep] out of one...

6. Gunner peels off and you make the chip shot.

7. After the shot, Gunner grows ballz again and proceeds to take his frustrations out on a now very dead coyote...

And there ya have it folks
smile.gif

BTW, don't gimme that you "despise the dogfight comment"! What exactly were we looking at if that wasn't a dogfight? Sure is wasn't much of one, but that was [beeep] sure a dogfight. And given the fact that you use that type of content to 'hype' your dogs all the time, I frankly find the fact that you "despise the dogfight comment" to be heavily steeped in a tall glass of hypocracy.

That said, I'll repeat again that Gunner did a GREAT job decoying AFTER he got a talkin' to from that pissed off coyote. Like I said, good thing ya shot him when ya did, because if another coyote showed up, Gunner woulda really had a chance to cur out...

Thanks again for the dogfight video
smile.gif

quote=roode301]Have any of you guys used them over here. If so what breed and when and where. The guys around here all run hounds and I don't think it will work but I may be wrong.Most of my hunting is at night but I was thinking. I think it will have to be a small breed because the coyotes are pritty skitsh around he with the houndsmen. I am open to any input or know how. Thanks Steve [/quote]

roode-Reread the last sentance in your first post "I am open to any input or know how" Maybe I misunderstood what you ment by that?
I must come off poorly, with all the feelings I seem to hurt. I just dont understand the logic in sugar coating it, when someone is asking for input. Perhaps from now on, I should just ooh and ahhh and tell folks what ever they want to hear?
I dont ever have hard feelings about things on the WWW. Why would I put much stock in what someone I dont know thinks about me? I not only dont know everything...I barely know anything!

Tony-Anything is possible I suppose...Im a big believer in "just because you havent seen it done, dont mean it cant be" I was just pointing out the video that you stated would prove it, did not to ME.
Again, be proud and rightly so. If he makes you and your clients happy than he is doin it right, for you.
I am curious...If Gunner is the dog you would lay your life down for, then why dont you get ALL your dogs from trapper2? Why cross him on different type dogs? Have you produced something superior to him?

Take care.

Doc I understand what you are saying. But how much decoy dog work have you done in Ohio or east of the big river. I now the risk that is involved at night but not all of my hunting is going to be at night.

Back