Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#228 - 03/11/01 10:55 PM New load field test.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks like Cal and I had the same idea today.
I also went out for a little afternoon session. I wanted to try out a new load that Yotehunter mentioned the other day in the Firearms forum for my 22-250,The 40 grain Nosler BT and H380.
I thought I could go scout some new country and perhaps get a yote or two in the process.

I loaded some up this morning and met a friend about noon. I found a big black rock at about 150 yards laid my rifle over the hood of the truck and three shots made one hole about half dollar size about 1/2 " high. I figured that was MOA of coyote and said lets go make some noise.
Second stand I see one pop up over a ridge at what I figured to be close to 250 yards.Didn't feel she was interested in coming on in so
I allowed just a a smidge for the crosswind and folded her up with one in the center of the chest. The male jumped out from some brush and started loping down the ridge, I smooched him as loud as I could and he stopped broadside. I held for his ribs and another one folded up.
I figured it fairly close as I stepped it off at 242 strides.
The female had no exit wound as I figured she wouldn't since it was a straight on frontal hit. However the male looked like I had hit him with a 17 rem! not a drop of blood anywhere. A nice big male , probably 30 pounds or a little more.
Almost grey , about as grey as I have seen in a while.

I called in another on the next stand and she came in a little on my buddy's side but she was hidden by some brush from him so I popped her also.
This one was at 120 strides and the bullet just clipped her on side front shoulder and blew about a 3" entrance hole and just a spot of blood for an exit. I figured that the bullet blew up inside and perhaps the solid copper base had been the only thing that had exited.
I havent chronoed this load but it is smokin I can tell you.
Yotehunter said he was getting a little better than 4000fps at 41 grains of 380, I was shooting 42 grains so I imagine I am in the same ballpark .

I am a little worried what might result if one trots by at 30 yards however. I am afraid that this little bomb might create all kinds of onside havoc to one.

I tried out another little deal today as well, I saw on a video the other day where they were using a drag line on the jaw to bring the coytoes back to the truck. I have always just carried them by the legs and am dang tired of cramped hands so I fixed me one up. It works great! I drug both of the first yotes at the same time with half the effort. The desert rocks didn't hurt the hair either.
I called in one other and didnt get him. We had set up with my pard doing the calling and after 15 minutes he signaled to go. I really liked the feel of the setup so I motioned that I wanted to wait just a bit more. I blew on my hand call, I know that this sounds egotistical but I really didn't like the sounds that he was making .
Well after 10 minutes of that I figured what the heck, perhaps it wasn't his noise that was the prob after all. So I stood up and by dang there had been a little cactus in the bush I had been in front of and my back was full of those little hair like stickers. DAMN!
So while I am stripped to the waist and my bud is pickin stickers out of my back and I am trying to get as many out of my shirt as possible suddenly he say's , hot dam there's one right there! sure enough while we were messin around another coyote had decided to come investigate. I guess my farmers tan camo didn't impress him too much as he took one look at my chiseled abs " don't I wish!" and headed out of there, I swear I heard him laughing.
You can bet that I pay a little more attention to whats growin in whatever I use to break my outline from now on..

[This message has been edited by Craig Hamilton (edited 03-11-2001).]

#229 - 03/12/01 07:28 PM Re: New load field test.
yote hunter Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Sycamore, Ill. USA
Craig,
I have shot some coyotes at fairly close range with that load and it has not exited. If you hit the shoulder it will leave a mess. I also use that drag rope and it sure saves a lot of work especially in the snow. Yote Hunter.

#230 - 03/19/01 07:21 PM Re: New load field test.
Trikstr Offline

Loc: Oak City,UT
I have been using the 40 grn BT's since they came out. I use them in my 223, 22PPC, 220 Swift. They were my favorite hide bullet 'til I started shooting the 17's. You are correct in your assumption about the solid copper bases. I shot a coyote in the back of the head and found the solid copper base just under the skin on the bridge of it's nose. A straight on frontal or behing the shoulder will leave no exit/small exit.

#231 - 03/19/01 07:23 PM Re: New load field test.
Trikstr Offline

Loc: Oak City,UT
ps you don't to hit high or low either.

Moderator:  220_Swift, Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.