Predator Masters using UBB.threads ô Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#2278816 - 08/28/12 07:05 PM Decoy dogs in the east
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: western ohio
Have any of you guys used them over here. If so what breed and when and where. The guys around here all run hounds and I don't think it will work but I may be wrong.Most of my hunting is at night but I was thinking. I think it will have to be a small breed because the coyotes are pritty skitsh around he with the houndsmen. I am open to any input or know how. Thanks Steve

#2278908 - 08/28/12 08:50 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
coyote1758 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: nichlosville,ky
I have a mt. Cur in ky. And it works well for me. We cannot hunt at night.

Edited by coyote1758 (08/28/12 08:55 PM)

#2279010 - 08/28/12 10:27 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
SHampton Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: BAOklahoma
Takes a helluva dog to do you any good at night, the coyote would have to be upwind everytime so he could smell it, I would think.

#2279020 - 08/28/12 10:34 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
cjdavis618 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Beebe AR
I have had times where I wish I had a dog for recovery at night in Texas though. Not for decoy work. No reason the same dog couldn't do it if it had a good nose.

Edited by cjdavis618 (08/28/12 10:34 PM)

#2279043 - 08/28/12 11:15 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Sorry post was a little confusing. I will be hunting with the dog not a night but during the day.

#2279044 - 08/28/12 11:16 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Loc: Gods Country
There are guys back east using dogs at night with fair success.You just need to find the right dog. it is a rare dog that can get it done, but they are around.

"IF YOU'RE GONNA TALK SMART,YOU BETTER RIDE A FAST HORSE"

#2279051 - 08/28/12 11:19 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: Duane@ssu]
cjdavis618 Offline
Die Hard Member II

I'm new to decoy dogs overall compared to these guys, but absolutely you can use them in the east.

#2279159 - 08/29/12 07:44 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

So what kind of dogs are you guys using or what breed do you think would be good.

#2279178 - 08/29/12 08:51 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

Loc: NY
Find the right coyotes at the right time of year, and you'll have action!
I do feel it would be wise to consider if you have houndsmen in your are running the coyotes with trailhounds. That tends to make them not want to engage a dog, especially in the daytime, IMHO. These guys use trailhounds, not sighthounds where a coyote can duck for cover and lose them. So the races are long and the coyotes tend to not forget the negative association with a dog in their vicinity.
I had some guys start running in my calling area last year, and the coyotes reaction to my dog on stand went to complete chit. Called in about a dozen coyotes in the day (thats ALOT for here) and every dang one I saw turned inside out soon as the dog took a single step toward them. Not blaming the houndsmen, I have friends who run and can appreciate the sport, just sharing how it is in my area now. Still hope I can get a few to play this year!

I've also taken my cur at night a few times when he was a pup, but it has gotten hairy, VERY quick. I could not reasonably control the situation alone with dog, ecollar remote, light, gun & caller at the same time. And after the dog got in the woods with a bunch of coyotes, things got crazy. I've actually had to go running into the woods to scare off a pack of coyotes that had my pup bayed up & surrounded. I chit you not. "Toning" back doesn't work if your dog is bayed up!

Now that he's fully mature, I have alot more confidence in him handling himself, but the thought of 3-6 40+ lb. coyotes against a 48 lb. cur is still not good odds. Guys out west running 45-90 lb. dogs on 20-25 lb. coyotes might not fully appreciate the gravity of that potential situation.

I reckon your Ohio coyotes might get pretty big, too, so if ya do try it, BE CAREFUL.
Our coyotes here are larger & more pack oriented, so when the action heats up, your dog will be dealing with a much more formidable adversary! And too gritty a dog will wind up in the hole you'll have to dig to put what's left of him. I hunt for FUN, so I err on the side of caution with my dog.

Here's a body size comparison of my cur to an adult male he decoyed in PA last August:

you can see the same correlation to 1758's photos above of his KY coyotes!

That's my $.02, and prolly ain't worth 1/2 that on the street wink

good luck & have fun!

#2279183 - 08/29/12 09:00 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: knockemdown]
cjdavis618 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Great info.....

#2279504 - 08/29/12 06:35 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

Loc: Lovington, NM
I use Gunner and/or a couple of my other dogs at night. You can get some serious decoying action in the dark. Coyotes are alot more bold, chase and yell at the dog at night, moreso than during the day. That being said, it takes a confident dog to handle coyotes in the darkness. Recovery work at night....you can't beat a dog. We lost 8 out of 12 coyotes one night, just do to not being able to find them with the flashlight. That was before I had a dog. Now....if they are leaking, they will be found. Even bayed up a couple dozen that had no hole in them.

Hope that helps...

Tony

Tony Tebbe

#2279599 - 08/29/12 09:04 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Thanks for all the help and info guys.What would a started dog from you guys that train and breed cost in a round about number.

#2279605 - 08/29/12 09:08 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
coyote1758 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: nichlosville,ky
X2 what knockemdown posted,well stated

#2279608 - 08/29/12 09:13 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
cjdavis618 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Originally Posted By: roode301
Thanks for all the help and info guys.What would a started dog from you guys that train and breed cost in a round about number.

To be honest, the money isn't much for what you get. The ability to hunt with a good partner and have him always there to increase your odds are priceless.

Trust me, I have spent way more money on less useful things. unsure I should have started with the dogs...

Edited by cjdavis618 (08/29/12 09:13 PM)

#2279615 - 08/29/12 09:17 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Knockemdown is wright our coyotes are bigger here than out west and that is what kind of concerns me.

#2279879 - 08/30/12 09:10 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

Tony, with all due respect, it's gonna take more than confidence for a dog to handle themself at night back this way.
For comparative purposes, here's an adult male SW desert coyote:

And here's an adult male eastern coyote, fully double the body weight of a desert coyote.

You could ask any coon hunter around here in NY/PA about having their 80+lb. coon hounds run back to the truck after dark by a pack of coyotes. And these are big, gritty dogs gettin' spooked!
To think that a single ~50lb. decoy dog can 'handle' that type of adversary is asking for a large vet bill, or a shovel to dig the hole.
And to reference that a single dog would actually bay/catch a coyote alone at night in the desert might be a stretch, but if you say so? But to think that would happen here with our coyotes is absolutely ludicris! Any houndsman runnin' coyotes here will tell you same.

The fact that a single dog can/does catch your desert coyotes is testament to the fact of how easy they must be for a dog to handle. Not only in their 50% smaller size, but their overall willingness to interact with a dog. Maybe they just don't see dogs as a threat? Don't know & not making a slight against any of your dogs, just making an honest deductive assessment.
And here's how I come to that conclusion:

A single dog can catch multiple coyotes in a single night in the SW desert.

Houndsmen here in the NE use a pack of working bred 50-90 lb. trailhounds to catch a single coyote here! And even that feat takes several hours and many, many miles!!!

IF we are to believe what you say about a single dog catching coyotes on its own at night, that just goes toward proving how vastly different our respective coyotes really are. Cuz there ain't no way that is gonna happen up this way with these big coyotes.

I feel that a decoy dog here at night would be more fighting for its life than it would trying to decoy/bay/catch one.

We do have some 20 lb. dogs running around here at night though. They're called fox... wink

#2279945 - 08/30/12 11:09 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

I totally agree that the coyotes back East are much, much larger than the ones in the SW. Heck, I've had my share of coon hounds run back to the house, including myself, after being chased by coyotes, growing up in Illinois. smile

When I say "confident dog", I don't mean one that is a balls-to-the-wall killer. I'm talking about one that has the confidence to engage, yet the experience to know how to sidestep and work coyotes. I've watched upwards to 6 coyotes chase the dog as a group at night. Twice, I've watched a group of 8 during the day. Guess what I'm trying to say is brains need to equal the confidence.

Watch tonight's show and you'll see Gunner with his hands full on a "not average" sized SW coyote.

Tony

Tony Tebbe

#2279966 - 08/30/12 12:02 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
UphillDoc Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Idaho
knockemdown-I would say Tony is probably confusing his dog catchin coyotes, with coyotes catchin his dog. It would be a very rare dog, of ANY kind, that would be catching coyotes that dont want to be caught, at night solo.
Even a big stag can be run back to the truck if they get a pack of coyotes after em. They may ruin one or two, but in the end, the coyotes will win that war...Out West or back East. There are big coyotes in both places, but it doesnt take big coyotes to whip dogs off...I have seen lots of dogs that "should" be able to handle one, not be up to the task. Truth is, most trail hounds wont actually kill a coyote themselves, and most decoy dogs only get tough after the sound of the gun. Neither is bred with killing as the priority, IMO.

Take care.

#2280013 - 08/30/12 01:06 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

Not confused at all Doc. smile

Again, watch tonight's episode of my show. First scene...Gunner catches a missed coyote at the PM hunt this year. His son and my Dixie dog catch up with them and they get it killed. Last scene....the most exciting coyote decoy dog action caught on film.

The nighttime catching and baying solo...been there quite a few times with clients. Sometimes within 200 yards, sometimes a mile. Either way, it's definitely happened.

Again, not confused or talking out my arse. smile

Tony

Tony Tebbe

#2280021 - 08/30/12 01:23 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
the impactzone Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: texas
I woke up after a long rough night to chew my arm off so I didn't wake her up, does that count?

#2280028 - 08/30/12 01:32 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

Hahahaha. Fortunately, I've never had to do that Phil. lol

Instead of having to wait till tonight, I released Episode 5 of my show now. You'll see why everyone who hunts with me, loves this dog and why I'd lay down my life for him.

Check it out at: www.PredatorUniversity.com/tv

Tony

Edited by TonyTebbe (08/30/12 05:13 PM)

Tony Tebbe

#2280033 - 08/30/12 01:46 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
the impactzone Offline
Die Hard Member III

thanks Tony, and I"ll have you know that thing tracked me down and wailled outside my door like a love sick courger, my 75 year old landlord looked at me and Said Boy you need to raise your standards even if this is Alaska

#2280037 - 08/30/12 01:54 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Ok guys let't not do this again.I don't want my dog to catch them or bay them up want the dog to work them and increase my odds. If I wanted to catch or run them with hounds I would go back and do that again been there done that. We had a kill dog that was a plott,pit,greyhound cross that walked through any coyote we put him on but at times it got a little harry. They also don't pack up here most I have ever seen was three toegher and they were pups.

Tony what does one of your started dog cost or to train a dog PM me if you want to. Thanks Steve OH and I will be watching you can bet on it.

#2280048 - 08/30/12 02:17 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

I don't have any problems talking about it here. Heck, it's YOUR thread. smile

I charge $300 for a weaned pup. I tell guys to take their pup home, love them, let them be pups, introduce them to the family, kids, park, neighbors, house, vehicle, etc... Let them bond with the family, as they are a member. Teach them to come, stay, sit, and all the other things that a disciplined and controllable dog needs. Bring them back to me between 10-12 months old for an intensified training session of 2-3 months. I charge $400/month for training and that includes food and board.

I used to do puppy training and I have some still grandfathered into the old training program, but dogs that have went home as pups and came back for a crash coarse, turned out the be the much better, well balanced dog.

I do have 3 young 6-7 month old males here, of various breeds. Two are kennel raised and one is ranch raised. Being outside males, none would make good house dogs, if that's what you're looking for. They've had only minimal training at this point. One I just got back this morning from a buddy, who bought it as a puppy for hog hunting, but got out of the dogs and sold them all. He's been on a few hogs and I plan on getting him on coyotes, asap.

Hope that helps.

Thanks....Tony

Tony Tebbe

#2280054 - 08/30/12 02:36 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

OK just watched the episode.
The coyote they 'caught' was a YOY, maybe 15 lbs.? And that was three dogs on one pup coyote?? That's a bit more believable...

The last stand was obviously a larger coyote, maybe 35 lbs, tops? If so, that would be a smaller than an average adult female here in NY. Big males are over 50lbs and average in the mid to high 40s.

Either way, that coyote was not taking any chit and had the gloves dropped. Looked like a good spat before a couple seconds when Gunner "turned". Guys who know bulldogs know that happens when they are gettin' the short end of the stick...
Seeing as how Gunner basically "turned" away from a decent sized coyote after not easily dominating it in the first few seconds, then proceeded to "turn" again and opt to run away from a second engagement, that just proves my point even more about a single dog handling a decent sized coyote. Remember, that coyote is likely still smaller than an average female coyote back this way.

I encourage everyone to WATCH Tony's dogfight video!

Watch it a few times and see how Gunner has enough and turns away from the aggressive coyote. Guys who know bulldogs know this is the first signs of a dog that is going to quit.
Then, watch again how when the coyote gives chase, Gunner no longer wants any part of the fight. That's all well & good, since I feel that is what a good decoy dog is supposed to do!
As you watch, just imagine if there were two, or more coyotes there that were both bigger than that single coyote Gunner ran from.

How would that stand end up? NOT GOOD methinks...

If one decent sized coyote can change Gunner's mind about engaging, then I shudder to think what three bigger coyotes with the same bad intentions would do???

As easily as that 'big for NM, tiny for NY' coyote shrugged off Gunner and made him quit fighting (he turned & stopped), it's not hard to imagine him, or any other dog, could easily wind up seriously hurt or even kilt by two or more large eastern coyotes.

Cool video, I'm glad you put it up. Good thing you shot that coyote before something really bad happened...

#2280073 - 08/30/12 03:14 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

The stand went as planned. Gunner engaged coyote, pick a fight, then come running back to me...waiting with gun. Difference is, this dominate male jumped Gunner and a scrap pursued. (I despise the dogfight comment) When the coyote had enough and decided to leave, Gunner gave chase and scooped him back up for round 2. I called him off giving chase for round 3 and ended it with a bullet.

I totally agree that multiple coyotes can and will jack a dog up badly. We had 3 jump a female that I was training and the owner and I went out for a few stands, when he picked her up. She shrugged them off of a throat hold and flank hold, and came running back, before Gunner could make it out there to save her. He shot the big male and his female dog charged right out there to decoy the other 2.

Back to the Gunner video stand. You asked how would the stand ended up if there were 2 or 3 big coyotes like that. You'd be dang sure that I'd get up and defend my dog. It's definitely a team effort of hunter and dog to get this kind of stuff done.

The YOY in the first stand. Gunner flat caught it by himself, before the other 2 slower dogs hit the brush. Couldn't tell you how many it took to kill it, but he has definitely done it alone in the past.

Tony

Tony Tebbe

#2280100 - 08/30/12 03:54 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
UphillDoc Offline
Seasoned Member

knockemdown-You saw exactly what I saw. If I was evaluating Gunner as a kill dog, he would fail. If he were caught alone out of sight of the shooter with a pair or more of aggressive coyotes, Tony would be training a replacement.

Tony-Your videos showed what I expected. The coyotes came to catch your dog...not the other way around!
The first coyote was a baby, and you mentioned during the hunt it was hit and "didnt run off too fast" If you could hear your dogs baying, as both you and the shooter stated, then they werent killing it, they were barking at it!
You have said that you had true running dogs before. If so, you should know there is no way that cur dog is going to run down healthy coyotes, that are trying to get away. Its easy to see in Gunners fight video that the coyote is loping away, and Gunner still cant gain ground. If the coyote was head down running away, he would be away from Gunner in just a few jumps. Do trappers dog regularly run down coyotes, and kill them single handed?
If I owned Gunner...as a decoy dog, I would be proud of him as well, since its clear he does a bang up job for you at that task. The video was awesome, and Im glad you took the time to put it together and post it. My only flaw in the whole thing, is the way your trying to overstate it all. Maybe its the salesman in you, maybe your just a tad kennel blind? No need to lie, when the truth will do.
The reason Gunner is the "most talked about decoy dog" may just be, because YOU are the one talking about him?

Take care.

#2280118 - 08/30/12 04:23 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Uphill how about you stick to trashing Vargy and leave my thread alone. I asked for info and help not a another I know better than you CRAP!

Kockemdown I understand what you are saying about bigger coyotes and night hunting.

From what I can tell TONYS dog Gunner is awsome at what he does DECOYING COYOTES!

Tony Thanks for the info and I may be in touch with you about a dog.

#2280136 - 08/30/12 04:48 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: UphillDoc]
UphillDoc Offline
Seasoned Member

roode-While I dont mind trashing Vargy...I was simply responding to Tony on this thread. I watched a video, at his request, and came to the same conclusions as knockemdown. Not sure what your problem with my evaluation is, but if you cant find any value in it...you wouldnt be the first. If you decide to send your money to Tony, and get your dog ruined by some coyotes at night, just remember this thread.
I guess you missed the part of my post where I said "If I owned Gunner...as a decoy dog, I would be proud of him as well, since its clear he does a bang up job for you at that task. The video was awesome, and Im glad you took the time to put it together and post it."
If you only want folks to agree with everything you say, maybe the WWW isnt the place for you? Its a big ol world, and theres a chance folks may see things different than you hoped...it happens to me all the time!

Take care.

#2280146 - 08/30/12 05:05 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

The Problem I have with what you are saying is You do not know where I hunt or the setup. So don't say I'm going to get my dog ruined.

You maybe a great dog guy as others have said but you don't know everything or my deal.

So no hard feelings But I don't know you and you don't know me so don't say bad things are going to happen to my imaginary dog.

#2280154 - 08/30/12 05:17 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
the impactzone Offline
Die Hard Member III

I got your kill dogs hanging http://www.flickr.com/photos/25762480@N00/113165376/

never herd Tony rep Gunner as a kill dog, but as a decoy dog that from time to time will catch & kill and he's not the only one saying he is one of the best after seeing him work,

Don't know what that coyote weight was but I have stood next to Tony, and Gunner and i have shot plenty of coyotes over 50lb (weight on scale) and I'd have to say that coyote was way closer to 50+lb than 35 lb and the first coyote looked closer to 25-30 than 15 any day of the week.

#2280156 - 08/30/12 05:19 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

No problems Doc. On that one stand, we assumed it was hit and dogs baying. After we got to it, they had it dead and we couldn't find a bullet hole. Once we reviewed the footage on the TV, we saw that he shot high and missed that coyote. No biggie.

Proud? Yes I am. Salesman...yes I am. lol Again, I never stated Gunner is the best decoy dog, just the one that everyone who hunts with me falls in love and talks about. Lie....Nope. Never had to. I have had plenty of clients with me that watch Gunner catch coyotes day or night. Is it the norm? Nope. I'm proud of my kids, as well. Are the they best kids in the world? Probably not. smile

Thanks...Tony

Tony Tebbe

#2280199 - 08/30/12 06:04 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Tony what are the breeds you have and are any out of GUNNER.

#2280278 - 08/30/12 07:40 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

Blackmouth Cur/Texas Blue Lacy
Mountain Cur/Pitbull
Catahoula/Rodesian Ridgeback

None are out of Gunner.

For Gunner pups, I have 2 female Texas Blue Lacy cross pups and 2 female Mountain Cur/Catahoula cross pups. Gunner is the father of them. They will be ready to wean in Mid-Sept.

Thanks man.

Tony

Tony Tebbe

#2280281 - 08/30/12 07:40 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

Originally Posted By: TT
The stand went as planned. Gunner engaged coyote, pick a fight, then come running back to me...waiting with gun. Difference is, this dominate male jumped Gunner and a scrap pursued. (I despise the dogfight comment) When the coyote had enough and decided to leave, Gunner gave chase and scooped him back up for round 2. I called him off giving chase for round 3 and ended it with a bullet.

OK, but here's what really happened laugh

1. You called a coyote well into rifle range with Gunner sitting at your side. Effectively, there was zero benefit of having a dog on stand at that point. It came to your calling, not to Gunner, or any other dog that would have been sitting next to you.

2. Gunner goes out "to pick a fight", only problem is he gets one! That coyote didn't budge a centimeter and Gunner rolled into him thinkin' he'd be ragdolling another 20 lber. Only problem is that this coyote wasn't particularly impressed with Gunner's credentials and proceeded to take the fight to him!

3. Gunner realizes he can't overpower this coyote, so he whirls (TURNS) away. As soon as that happens, coyote retreats. (Remember, coyotes only fight when 100% necesary, fighting is NOT fun for a coyote and could mean life/death for them in the wild)

4. After gettin' a 10 second dose of reality, Gunner turns into a decoy dog! Classic chase, peel off and follow back. I think he did a great job after being spanked by that coyote.

5. Coyote comes after Gunner again, but he DOES NOT engage. Reason? He just got spanked the first time and didn't want anymore of Mr. Wile-E. Again, THIS IS GREAT DECOY DOG WORK now! Gunner is back in reality and acting like a good decoy dog should! Luring a coyote into range, not trying to kick the [beeep] out of one...

6. Gunner peels off and you make the chip shot.

7. After the shot, Gunner grows ballz again and proceeds to take his frustrations out on a now very dead coyote...

And there ya have it folks smile

BTW, don't gimme that you "despise the dogfight comment"! What exactly were we looking at if that wasn't a dogfight? Sure is wasn't much of one, but that was [beeep] sure a dogfight. And given the fact that you use that type of content to 'hype' your dogs all the time, I frankly find the fact that you "despise the dogfight comment" to be heavily steeped in a tall glass of hypocracy.

That said, I'll repeat again that Gunner did a GREAT job decoying AFTER he got a talkin' to from that pissed off coyote. Like I said, good thing ya shot him when ya did, because if another coyote showed up, Gunner woulda really had a chance to cur out...

Thanks again for the dogfight video smile

#2280287 - 08/30/12 07:45 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: knockemdown]
UphillDoc Offline
Seasoned Member

quote=roode301]Have any of you guys used them over here. If so what breed and when and where. The guys around here all run hounds and I don't think it will work but I may be wrong.Most of my hunting is at night but I was thinking. I think it will have to be a small breed because the coyotes are pritty skitsh around he with the houndsmen. I am open to any input or know how. Thanks Steve [/quote]

roode-Reread the last sentance in your first post "I am open to any input or know how" Maybe I misunderstood what you ment by that?
I must come off poorly, with all the feelings I seem to hurt. I just dont understand the logic in sugar coating it, when someone is asking for input. Perhaps from now on, I should just ooh and ahhh and tell folks what ever they want to hear?
I dont ever have hard feelings about things on the WWW. Why would I put much stock in what someone I dont know thinks about me? I not only dont know everything...I barely know anything!

Tony-Anything is possible I suppose...Im a big believer in "just because you havent seen it done, dont mean it cant be" I was just pointing out the video that you stated would prove it, did not to ME.
Again, be proud and rightly so. If he makes you and your clients happy than he is doin it right, for you.
I am curious...If Gunner is the dog you would lay your life down for, then why dont you get ALL your dogs from trapper2? Why cross him on different type dogs? Have you produced something superior to him?

Take care.

#2280307 - 08/30/12 08:02 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Doc I understand what you are saying. But how much decoy dog work have you done in Ohio or east of the big river. I now the risk that is involved at night but not all of my hunting is going to be at night.

#2280312 - 08/30/12 08:04 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Hey Tony! how about posting some pics of those cur cross pups.

#2280328 - 08/30/12 08:23 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: NW Arkansas
Pure insanity once again.

Just one question, whay does YOY mean?

#2280344 - 08/30/12 08:36 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: btech29]
Ricky Bobby Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: southern illinois
yeng or yang

grin

#2280347 - 08/30/12 08:38 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

Hey Tony! how about posting some pics of those cur cross pups.

Just check my website (www.PredatorUniversity.com) I have pics of most of them. I wouldn't want to post pics here and have them over analyzed. Hahaha smile And to think....Tanner Huff wondered why nobody posts in this forum.....duh!

Jeff, YOY means year old yote.

Tony

Tony Tebbe

#2280353 - 08/30/12 08:44 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

btech what is your in put? Do you have any advice I have seen your clips and you and your dogs look like they know what they are doing. Would you or have you hunted them at night or late dusk or early sunrise where you need any kind of false light.

#2280354 - 08/30/12 08:45 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

YEP!! On my way there.

#2280365 - 08/30/12 08:52 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Thanks Tony, I kinda thought so but wasnt sure.

roode, Im on the edge of whats considered the east. My landscape is prolly much like yours. We are not allowed to hunt coyotes at night so I really dont know. I have zero experience.

I would guess a coyote is a coyote. Ive killed a 46 pounder here in Arkansas. I know several folks that have killed 40 plus pounders in Oklahoma. You dont really want your dog fighting one no matter how big or small it is. IMO. I wish I could help, but I just dont know.

#2280396 - 08/30/12 09:10 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Thanks btech I don't want a fighter or a killer either.I have a 51 lb male & 41 lb female mounted so I don't want a dog I spend more time getting him out of trouble than hunting. I want a smart good working dog but If he has to fight be able to handle it's self till I get there or one of my hunting buddies.

#2280400 - 08/30/12 09:16 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
trapper2 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: north central okla
well you guys can black ball me if you want but i have to say i agree with fred and doc on part of this one, after the fight gunner did go to decoying and done a fine job, i have had dogs do the same thing he did but the first thing i was looking for was the button to the shock collar, i want a dog to go out and get a coyotes attention but not get in a death roll with him, now if a coyote rolls one of mine up then yea fight him till you get loose and come to me, but dont just go throat latch one off the bat, i have enough med bill on dogs as it is, but after the fight, yea he went to decoying and did alright, and on the first stand, well it looked about like all of mine, shoot and miss one and mine will roll out and try to catch one.

and no doc mine dont run down coyotes single handed and kill them, i did have a dog one time that would if the stars lined up but he wasnt much of a decoy dog, he was a hog dog that got moved to decoy cause he was all i had at the time, never really lost the catch mind set.

steve, to answer your questions, no i have never used decoy dogs in your country but i have hunted both sides of the river and yep you guys got bigger coyotes, and thicker cover where i was at. if you think a small dog would work better cause of the hounds then try one, i like a smaller dog but in thick cover i would want one to work alittle closer then i like and because of it being smaller, but dont think a small coyote wont whip the pants off a big dog sometimes, i have seen big dogs get whipped by little 20 pd gyps with pups in the ground and i have seen 25 pd dogs run off the biggest dang male in the country, so you never can tell what will happen on a stand with a dog. so now if you will take everything wrote in this post by me and .98 cents you can buy a cup of coffee, but if you do get a dog, hunt him alot and have fun is the most important thing

#2280413 - 08/30/12 09:26 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

Fighting one's self out of a bind and rollin' into a coyote to "pick a fight" are two totally different things. Tony openly admits he likes his dogs to bring the "fight" to the coyote. That's why I think it's hysterical he'd put a video up of his Gunner getting an attitude adjustment by a decent sized one! Then the 'Jedi mind trick' sales pitch to tell us he got the better of the coyote? C'mon...

YOY = Young Of the Year coyote, aka a puppy.

Given the PM Hunt is in January, that'd make that small female coyote the three dogs caught to be about 10 months old. Not particularly impressive for three dogs to handle one puppy coyote 1/3 their size.

BTW, I did see fur fly at the shot. However, not finding a "bullet hole" after three dogs have mauled the body & kilt it dead is perfectly understandable, LOL!

EDIT: typing same time you were, Ryan!

Edited by knockemdown (08/30/12 09:30 PM)

#2280419 - 08/30/12 09:34 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

My Dad always told me to take the higher road and rise above the chit, but dang Fred...you tempt me to stoop, sometimes. smile

Isn't it squirrel season up there or something??? lol

Tony

Tony Tebbe

#2280428 - 08/30/12 09:43 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Tony I'm going to give you a call tomorrow on the black & browm lacy and the black & white cur and talk a bit. Wife give me the ok to talk and find out a little more.FYI wife really likes the black & brown one.

#2280447 - 08/30/12 10:05 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
the impactzone Offline
Die Hard Member III

Uphilldoc & Knockemdown,

Both you guys spin it worse than any Democrat on CNN, you should both be on The View! Your just a couple of nick picking old bags on the rag.

I have had enough, I donít see any post of your dogs, I donít see you replying to attacks on you or your dogs or your kennel with the same grace and integrity that Tony has shown during all of this.

Attacks yes but again not with answers that show the same grace and integrity that Tony has shown as well as respect to the forum and its members.

Maybe because Gunner has learned from his dad who has in many eyes,,, decoyed you out to be the jerks you are. You may think your kicking his azz on the WWW and gained some sort of recognition in the world of decoy dogs but in reality you just showed your own azz

I am done, Be gone with the both of you, and may I never hear or speak your names again.
Long live Gunner

#2280453 - 08/30/12 10:12 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
Spined Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Tx
Knockemdown, I've seen several videos of your dog treeing and baying squirrels. You seem to be an expert and critic on decoy dogs. Can we see some of your videos of your dog working coyotes?

#2280490 - 08/30/12 11:18 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: Spined]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Tony, I admire how you take so much crap and rarely retaliate. You are a better man than I.

roode, good luck with what your new dog. I would sure do my research on the advise you get on here. Look at the experts past posts and see who really does, and who just talks good. I was on an online coyote killing contest on another board last year. I joined a month or two before the contest started. Man I was blowed away by the vast knowledge spewing from the fingers of all the experts. I was like, DANG! These boys are the real deal. Well the contest started and everyone started posting the pics of their kills. WOW! Most killed 3 or 4 and many killed none. Its easy to "regurgitate" what someone else says.

#2280493 - 08/30/12 11:22 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: btech29]
CrazyHorse66 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: btech29
Well the contest started and everyone started posting the pics of their kills. WOW! Most killed 3 or 4 and many killed none.

Hey now! I was looking for my dog for most of that contest.
lol

#2280513 - 08/30/12 11:44 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

No doubt! Thanks for all the help guys. Some of it has been real helpful.

#2280521 - 08/30/12 11:57 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
Dasher Offline
Die Hard Member II

Lost a bunch of respect for some of you. What a bunch a know-it-alls. You would think that the knowledge you posess is priceless. thumbdown Think some might try a lesson on some respect and civility here. Hope you know who you are.

Tony, continue to listen to your dad's advice. sheesh

Edited by Dasher (08/31/12 12:03 AM)
The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug.
W C Brann

#2280543 - 08/31/12 12:54 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
yfzduner450 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: West Jordan, Utah
I watched the video of the gunner fight and the whole episode made me laugh. It was very well put together, good footage but every time you said "gunner is the most talked about decoy dog in the world" I just couldn't help but laugh. I think you should of said " Gunner is the most talked about decoy dog on predator masters" cuz most people have never heard of gunner outside of this site!! I understand about being proud and all but come on.

#2280548 - 08/31/12 01:03 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
cawilson82 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: tn
Wow the jealousy in this thread is unreal. With fame comes haters. I sure didn't see a coyote Gi ve gunner a licking. I seen gunner hand it to that big male pretty good personally and am quiet positive I heard Tony say he was fixing to tone gunner back. You say the eastern coyotes are bigger and more pack oriented? Thats the dumbest craps ive ever heard. Sure we have some bigger coyotes but is every coyote you guys kill a 50lb Plus coyote? Why Heck no. Are there some well ya but not every one. And I dar e say gunner could handle himself fine with one. As far as packing up together coyotes in the west are quiet often multiples comin to the call in the east doubles and triples are fairly rare. And to say the only reason gunner is the most talked about dog is because Tony is the only one talking is the biggest load of craps of all. If this comes across as personal it was intended to.I consider Tony a good friend and to watch a couple of nobody's bash him when they have no clue of what they are talking about chaps my azz pretty bad.maybe if your dogs were proven people would talk about them and you wouldn't feel the need to be trolls.
g is cause

#2280553 - 08/31/12 01:23 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
cjdavis618 Offline
Die Hard Member II

No doubt! Thanks for all the help guys. Some of it has been real helpful.

Roode301, Good luck on your quest for a hunting partner. I know I am thankful to have had my first decoy dog Doc and now have Havoc to hunt with and add a new level of excitement and worth to the hunt. Havoc is turning out to be a wonderful addition to my family and hunts.

As for Gunner in the latest video. That coyote started the fight. Gunner veered to the right and the coyote lunged at him. Gunner set the record straight and that was that. I would bet that rancher had lost some dogs there in the past, or there was a den nearby that caused that aggression.

As for this subforum and the bickering. I have been reading books and watching lots of dog training videos lately and I can relate a lot of what goes on in here to too many pack leaders trying to piss on the same fence post for dominance... lol

Tony, nice work on the videos and your partner Gunner. thumbup1

Edited by cjdavis618 (08/31/12 01:33 AM)

#2280554 - 08/31/12 01:29 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
jglynn Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Southeast Oklahoma
I dont totally agree that Gunner was whipped in that scene. what i saw was a coyote bigger than Gunner get totally body slammed!! i have hunted with Gunner and seen him in action. he is a very versatile dog that does his job very well. im sure the ratio of decoying and actually make physical contact are 90 out of 100. sometimes crap just happens.

what i did see for sure was a dog decoying coyotes. and i have seen many videos of dogs out of Tony's stock decoying coyotes. Hundreds of videos!

what i havent seen was very many videos of yal guys on here that are talking so much crap. especially you knockemdown. ive seen your dog run through the woods and chase squirrels and you are fine with it and actually brag about it. but i never have once seen a video of your dog decoying a yote. not saying he wont, he may be very good at it, but i have yet to see it. my guess is you kill 10 or less yotes a year. knowledge comes from expierence. my guess is you dont expierence many coyotes a year, so that speaks for your knowledge.

i really dont know Doc. seems like all he likes to do is talk trash about everyone besides his "click". never seen a video of his decoying expertise. ive read on here where you have nice dogs. maybe you can prove your knowledge and post some videos????

so here is how i see it. you guys that are talking crap, prove to us how good you are and post us some good footage for us to enjoy..... (and not at chasing squirrels!!).

as for me, i am kind of a newbie. only been on here a few years. i kill a bunch of coyotes due to sheer luck and a little bit of skill. i am learning everyday. but what you will not see me do is come on here and talk trash to someone that has proven himself by posting videos to back it up.

jealousy will make the mind say (or type) some crazy stuff.

Edited by jglynn (08/31/12 02:14 AM)

#2280561 - 08/31/12 01:53 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
jglynn Offline
Die Hard Member II

and yfzduner450, i know 40-50 people around my parts that are not on this forum that knows about Gunner. good news travels fast my friend.

#2280564 - 08/31/12 02:09 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
jglynn Offline
Die Hard Member II

knockemdown, you are so full of crap!! i rewatched that videos several times now. Gunner may have gotten a little close but the coyote was the first to bite. and he was also the 1st pinned to the ground.... TWICE! where in the world do you ever see Gunner getting whipped???

this only further more tells me that you are full of it and only want to talk crap.

i cant believe that a person would go as far as calling out a dog on here!

i hope you or others dont ever call my dog out on here because im not near as nice as Tony and im sure eventually we may run into each other.

just a fair warning. i will never degrade a persons dog and i EXPECT the same!

Edited by jglynn (08/31/12 02:11 AM)

#2280611 - 08/31/12 08:10 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: Spined]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

Originally Posted By: Spined
Knockemdown, I've seen several videos of your dog treeing and baying squirrels. You seem to be an expert and critic on decoy dogs. Can we see some of your videos of your dog working coyotes?

Expert, NO.
Critic, ABSOLUTELY.

If everyone needed to be an expert to post on this site, then there's be precious few threads for you to throw mud at from the bleachers.

Don't like my opinion? Try forming your own to counter mine and use some facts instead of sidesstepping with a inquiry about my dog.
BTW, if you'd like to see him hunt, you are more than welcome to fly up here for the weekend. I'll put you up, feed you, and even crack your cold beer afterwards. We can coyote hunt, coon hunt, squirrel hunt, whatever you want to see. NO CHARGE, either... smile
(and please note that I didn't ask you to qualify your comments with videos of your dog wink )

And I'll extend the same courtesy to Tony & Gunner.
Fly yourselves up here and I will put you on every coyote hotspot I've found over the last 12 or so years here. We will burn through them all in a couple days and my season will prolly be wrecked for buring them, but I'll do it if ya come!
I will personally guarantee that you will be calling directly to coyotes in prime private land. Bring the cameras, and make a webisode out of it, if ya like. We can call all day and all night long, I won't stop if you don't want to...

I'm serious, too.

BTW Tony? Everyday is squirrel season here.
And you can poke fun at my dog all ya want, hence the name smile
He doesn't have my ego to carry around, so he can 'handle' it and so can I, LOL!

My point for the offer is to show that I don't hold any animosity toward Tony, or anyone else here for that matter.
Tony & I have a few mutual friends and I respect that.

THAT SAID:

jglynn, I'm just calling it like I see it in the video. Gunner did GREAT after he got squared away by that coyote.
If you need info on how to call a dogfight, please consult your local bulldog man. Yep, the coyote hit the ground and came up with Gunner's face in his mouth! When they broke free, Gunner turned from the fight and they broke holds.

If you guys see it differently, that's fine.

Just PM me your trip dates and flight details when you'd like to come hunt with my Vizla wink
Also, feel free to bring YOUR dog to show me how to hunt my coyotes the way YOU do it back home.
Coyote season starts Oct. 1st

CONSIDER THIS AN OPEN INVITE TO ALL PM MEMBERS WITH DECOY DOGS
I'd love to see your dogs work!

Jeff, what did you see differently in the video than I did?
Did Gunner NOT pile into that coyote?
Who quit the fight first?
And who didn't want anymore the 2nd time?
Did Gunner 'decoy' the coyote into range intially, or did Tony call him in?

LET's BE HONEST HERE

Edited by knockemdown (08/31/12 08:30 AM)

#2280616 - 08/31/12 08:20 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: trapper2]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

Originally Posted By: trapper2
well you guys can black ball me if you want but i have to say i agree with fred and doc on part of this one, after the fight gunner did go to decoying and done a fine job, i have had dogs do the same thing he did but the first thing i was looking for was the button to the shock collar, i want a dog to go out and get a coyotes attention but not get in a death roll with him, now if a coyote rolls one of mine up then yea fight him till you get loose and come to me, but dont just go throat latch one off the bat, i have enough med bill on dogs as it is, but after the fight, yea he went to decoying and did alright, and on the first stand, well it looked about like all of mine, shoot and miss one and mine will roll out and try to catch one.

and no doc mine dont run down coyotes single handed and kill them, i did have a dog one time that would if the stars lined up but he wasnt much of a decoy dog, he was a hog dog that got moved to decoy cause he was all i had at the time, never really lost the catch mind set.

steve, to answer your questions, no i have never used decoy dogs in your country but i have hunted both sides of the river and yep you guys got bigger coyotes, and thicker cover where i was at. if you think a small dog would work better cause of the hounds then try one, i like a smaller dog but in thick cover i would want one to work alittle closer then i like and because of it being smaller, but dont think a small coyote wont whip the pants off a big dog sometimes, i have seen big dogs get whipped by little 20 pd gyps with pups in the ground and i have seen 25 pd dogs run off the biggest dang male in the country, so you never can tell what will happen on a stand with a dog. so now if you will take everything wrote in this post by me and .98 cents you can buy a cup of coffee, but if you do get a dog, hunt him alot and have fun is the most important thing

Ryan, please allow me to throw you under the bus with a quote smile

Guys, Ryan is the guy Tony bought Gunner from.
Read the first line of his post and consider that before piling on little old ME for sharing my opinion.
I do understand that it's alot easier and more enjoyable for you guys to focus on talking me down though.
But don't be too hard on Ryan... THANKS laugh

#2280635 - 08/31/12 09:00 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

This PI$$ me off what happened to this thread. I came here looking for help and it turned into this.If you have info to help or knowledge offer it. This HORSE CRAP of the attacks on a Proven man and his dog In MY EYES IS INSANE!
As to the dog dance the only one that got it's but whooped is the coyote by a 55grain vmax!
We are all hunters and why some think it is fun,cool or whatever to tear each other appart is FOOLISH. AS hunters we need to stick together and fight with the ones that want to shut us down.

#2280639 - 08/31/12 09:06 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
frankr Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: usa
Wow. At what length does one go just to try to convince someone they are right?

Thought we were all on the same side of the fence. Even Ford vs Chevy guys get along better.

Tony - Good videos! I have told my hunting buddies about them and they are watching them too! Every time I see your pups I am a little bummed I didn't go that rout but maybe I will when I get another.

As far as Decoy dogs East vs West - I think it all comes down to your needs and style. Find a dog that works for you, share your experience and enjoy that of others who enjoy doing the same thing.

#2280643 - 08/31/12 09:12 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: Dasher]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

Originally Posted By: Dasher
Lost a bunch of respect for some of you. What a bunch a know-it-alls. You would think that the knowledge you posess is priceless. thumbdown Think some might try a lesson on some respect and civility here. Hope you know who you are.

Tony, continue to listen to your dad's advice. sheesh

Hey Evan!
I don't think any knowledge I share is worth anymore than anyone else's and likely alot less.
But that won't stop me from sharing an opinion about what I see.
The last part of the video I was critical of was when Gunner went piling into that coyote

Is that how you like your dogs to work?
Do you disagree that that 'style' could lead to MAJOR problems with larger coyotes?

For the eleventeenth time, Gunner did GREAT after he quit the fight with the coyote.

Put more of that stuff up, and I'll cheer with a Pred U t-shirt on. But it always seems that it is the aggressive interactions that Tony loves to showcase. (That's why I never bought a shirt ) Dog fight vids, bloody face pics, trapped coyote training, etc. And for what? Is the world of "decoy dogging" all the better for it? Methinks, no. And I dang sure ain't the only one, I'm just one of the few who will take a ribbing to mention it.
I think the "picking a fight" style for coyote decoying might make good video, but it sure don't make for anymore dead coyotes. The guys who just like to see their dogs chew on coyotes will naturally disagree, but the guys who prefer a more passive dog might feel differently. My opinion always has been that a more passive style will make a more proficient decoy dog.

And if all this argument back & forth is really just about whether Gunner 'won' a 10second scrap with a coyote, then I'm at odds with you.
I made those comments to relate to how that type of interaction would likely go here in NY. IE, not good!
If ANY dog piled into a coyote like that here in NY, odds are they'd be in a world of trouble! ANY DOG...

If it were your dog in the video, or anyone elses, I'd tell you the same exact thing.
None of any of this is personal attacks against man, or dog.
I'm not jealous of ANYONE's dogs. Sure, I'd like to have the same opportunity to hunt as Tony does, but that ain't my line of work.
So I can't complain there...

Sorry if you feel let down by my comments.
If a guy sharing an honest opinion is grounds for that, then there's nothing I can do about it.
And the "high road" to some might not be as far up there as it seems if you ain't walkin' on it...

Take care, Evan.

#2280644 - 08/31/12 09:18 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

This PI$$ me off what happened to this thread. I came here looking for help and it turned into this.If you have info to help or knowledge offer it. This HORSE CRAP of the attacks on a Proven man and his dog In MY EYES IS INSANE!
As to the dog dance the only one that got it's but whooped is the coyote by a 55grain vmax!
We are all hunters and why some think it is fun,cool or whatever to tear each other appart is FOOLISH. AS hunters we need to stick together and fight with the ones that want to shut us down.

LOL!
YOu got some advice, take it for what it's worth.
I'm not trying to sell you a puppy, just trying to heed some words of caution if you decide to run one in your AO.
Agree, the only thing the coyote got whooped by was the bullet, LOL!

Yes, we ARE all hunters!!!
WE do need to stick together. We also need to 'police' ourselves.
You mentioned fighting the ones that want to shut us down. Would you care to explain how posting an explicit video of a fight between a dog and a coyote could help in that regard??? How is that type of footage helping ME if that footage can very well be used against ME to take MY dog away???
Is that self promoting dogfight video HELPING you keep your dog out of the spotlight???

Again, good luck and stay safe out there...

#2280645 - 08/31/12 09:19 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
the impactzone Offline
Die Hard Member III

doesnt Tony have international sales of a DVD? are not there members on here from all over the world? this forum in on the WORLD WIDE WEB?

Roode301
I plan on hunting my dog at night a good bit, I think the recovery work alone will pay for the kibbels,

good luck and best wishes

#2280652 - 08/31/12 09:28 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

kockemdown do you have any pups forsale if so I would like to take a look at them to. I figure the most dersfied I can be the better off I am.

#2280668 - 08/31/12 09:57 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

No sir. I have one dog and hunt strictly for fun and have no intention of breeding/selling pups. Any pics/vids I put up on the web are just me braggin' a bit, or to aid in proving a point. No veiled sales pitch behind them...

If that makes my opinions any more or less valid, that's for you to decide.

#2280670 - 08/31/12 10:03 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
Dasher Offline
Die Hard Member II

"Sorry if you feel let down by my comments."

Fred, I could care less about your comments or the video. Have not even seen it. What is disappointing is the egotistical air that some people portray here. There's better things to do than just pour fuel on a fire or get one started in the first place.

There's much more to life than argueing about things that don't really matter. Don' know what ever happened to the idea of "if you don't have somthing nice to say, don't say anything at all"Yes I know I'm guilty as well, but workin on it.

What ever you all want to do is certainly up to you. But now ya know how I feel, though I don't think that matters.

Take care brothers

Edited by Dasher (08/31/12 10:06 AM)
The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug.
W C Brann

#2280678 - 08/31/12 10:21 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: knockemdown]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Just seeing if you had any dogs is all.

#2280684 - 08/31/12 10:34 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: the impactzone]
UphillDoc Offline
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted By: the impactzone
I got your kill dogs hanging http://www.flickr.com/photos/25762480@N00/113165376/

never herd Tony rep Gunner as a kill dog, but as a decoy dog that from time to time will catch & kill and he's not the only one saying he is one of the best after seeing him work,

Don't know what that coyote weight was but I have stood next to Tony, and Gunner and i have shot plenty of coyotes over 50lb (weight on scale) and I'd have to say that coyote was way closer to 50+lb than 35 lb and the first coyote looked closer to 25-30 than 15 any day of the week.

impact-My discussion with Tony started after he said Gunner runs down coyotes solo. I was skeptical, and he told me to watch a video. The video did not show ME anything that changed that impression.
If you really believe that coyote is 50+lbs, then you dont have much expierience with coyotes, or you went to the same story tellin class as Tony.
I rated Gunner as a good decoy dog, but a poor kill dog...if you disagree with that, then we wont ever see eye to eye on the subject.
You have accused me of "spinning it" but Im not tellin the story, Tony is, I dont need to spin it. I gave my opinion of it...a different opinion is not the same as attacking, so dont confuse the two. Tony has done more side stepping, and avoiding questions than answering them with "grace and integrity" but thats his perogative. Oh, and I mean that in the nicest way...gooooo Gunner, ooooh ahhhh

roode-I have never decoyed a coyote in Ohio. I have killed hundreds of coyotes with dogs...do you believe they are so different in Ohio that my expieriences with them wouldnt be applicable?

trapper2-Thanks for the honest and straight forward answer. Its amazing how quickly a topic can be covered when folks arent dancin around it.

Take care.

#2280696 - 08/31/12 10:57 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

Evan, guilty as charged.

BUT...read again and you'll see I did compliment the dog for working well after turning from the fight. Just that I don't agree with the "pick a fight" part, and made commentary to that effect.

You choose to focus solely on what I said that may have been 'not so nice' and choose to ignore the fact that I did type a sincere compliment? I meant it, too. Gunner decoyed that coyote back to Tony like a champ! (I LOL'ed seeing him get taken to task beforehand though)
Point is, handpicking what you don't like about my post is your perogative, and I don't fault you for it. Happens all the time. No harm no, foul on my end smile

I've said it before and I'll say it again, every gosh danged post on every gosh dang webforum on the interweb would be one big circle jerk if we all agreed all the time.
Some call it 'stirring chit', I call it generating dialogue.
You state your case, I state mine.
Hopefully that will stir other members to share their thoughts and hopefully add something relevant to the discussion. But that rarely happens anymore, for fear of peoples' feelings getting hurt and other members crying foul for doing so. And so goes another infomational thread down the tubes because some guys can't handle seeing another member in a position to stand by their post(s) and feel the need to pontificate how "wrong" it is to question what is shared over the interweb.

REALLY???

Are we not all grown men here?
Can we not all handle both positive AND negative feedback?
Is it that some members here above reproach and cannot not questioned/critiqued without it being perceived as some type of personal attack?

(rhetorical questions, I won't drag this out)

Watch the post count of this thread keep climbing. Truth of the matter is, members L-O-V-E following these kinds of back and forth threads. Some read along and make comments from the bleachers about "pissing contests" and whatnot, but never seem to have anything tangible to add to the discussion??? That always cracks me up!
Others however actually add some honest & valuable info, but that gets swept under the carpet, since everyone would rather see a battle of wits, over a discussion of facts.
Can you see where the allure of viewing dog/coyote fights comes from now? LOL!

This is getting to be a broken record now, so I'll stop...

Edited by knockemdown (08/31/12 11:03 AM)

#2280700 - 08/31/12 10:59 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: UphillDoc]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Yes I believe they are very diffrent.Could you come here and kill some maybe but if you come here and use the same tatics you use out west. MY bet is your not going to kill very many at all. I am more than willing to offer up my hunting ground and have you guys with decoy dogs come and show me how it is done. Also if it coyotes are the same as out west don't you think there would be more DVDs and predators shows filmed in the east I think so.

#2280703 - 08/31/12 11:02 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: jglynn]
UphillDoc Offline
Seasoned Member

Dasher-You will bite your tongue off if your not careful. Dont hold back, if you have something to say, let er rip tater chip!

Gunner fan club-If you need me to wear the black hat, Im fine with that. I wont pull punches because you dont like my opinions. I judge my own dogs twice as hard as I did Gunner. If my opinions are worthless to you, then feel free to skip over any post with my name on it. When a post is made on the WWW, on an open forum, its open to opinions, and reading them or putting any stock in them is your own personnel choice. If I am addressed, I will respond.
I can always tell when someone is in a bind, they start avoiding the questions, changing the subject, and start the name callin/threats. Feel free to point out anything I have said that is not true, and I will defend it, or admit I was wrong.

jglynn-I rarely sell dogs, so no need to have a website or videos all over the WWW. If I do sell one, its usually when someone contacts me, and offers me more money than I think a dog is worth. If you look around, Im sure you can find plenty of pics of my dogs. If you look real hard at some of the decoy dogs that are sold on THIS site, you may even find my name behind many of them...LOL

Take care.

#2280706 - 08/31/12 11:05 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
jglynn Offline
Die Hard Member II

Guys still talking s#it and not posting videos........

Common guys, prove to us your knowledge of a decoy dog so we will all know if your "critisism" is worth a pile of dog crap and if it is real.

knockemdown, you are a freakin idiot!! Just shut your mouth and show us how a "real" deoy dog works!! Please for the love of God!

if you hunted as much and you pounded on a keyboard, you might get enough experience and knowledge to judge anyone.

Surely you have one stinking video of the 10 coyotes you killed all of last year to prove your point!!! Surely.

Doc, i hear you are a very good dogman and have good dogs. so we are waiting for videos of your decoy dogs as well.

proof is in the pudding guys, so give us some FREAKING PUDDING!!!!!

#2280710 - 08/31/12 11:10 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: UphillDoc]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Fred, I think there was some give and take on that squabble. I certainly think Gunner gave as much as he took. Tony may have been calling him back? I dont know. I will say there are few dogs Ive seen that would have dished out that much. I know mine wont.

Freddy, you know I like you. Its not that I disagree with what your saying, I just question why your saying it. Aint much need in it. I know, I know, freedom of speech, bla, bla, bla. Thats the problem with this country. Everyone is quick to exercise their "rights". Maybe it would be good if we yielded them from time to time.

#2280714 - 08/31/12 11:19 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: jglynn]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

Originally Posted By: jglynn
Guys still talking s#it and not posting videos........

Common guys, prove to us your knowledge of a decoy dog so we will all know if your "critisism" is worth a pile of dog crap and if it is real.

knockemdown, you are a freakin idiot!! Just shut your mouth and show us how a "real" deoy dog works!! Please for the love of God!

if you hunted as much and you pounded on a keyboard, you might get enough experience and knowledge to judge anyone.

Surely you have one stinking video of the 10 coyotes you killed all of last year to prove your point!!! Surely.

Doc, i hear you are a very good dogman and have good dogs. so we are waiting for videos of your decoy dogs as well.

proof is in the pudding guys, so give us some FREAKING PUDDING!!!!!

You really have a 'knack' with people, LOL!
As if that request would get you anywhere with anyone? laugh

Listen here, pal, lets get something straight.
I don't owe YOU, or anyone else a dad gum thing.
I ain't trying to sell YOU, or anyone else a dad gum thing.
I post what I want, where I want, when I want.
If you think I'm not any kind of a hunter, then so be it.
If you think I need to prove that to YOU, or anyone else, then you are sorely mistaken.

Want hunt proof? c'mon up! I'll meet ya with a smile and a cur that'll prolly want nothing to do with you, LOL! But he'll warm up after a while...
Or, join OPHA and come to the hunt over the winter. I'll be there with my Okie peeps and a bucket on my head.
We can shake hands and have a Miller lite, or not. Maybe we'll share some stands and you can judge for yourself what kind of hunter you think I am...

until then, have fun and take 'er easy... smile

#2280718 - 08/31/12 11:20 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: jglynn]
UphillDoc Offline
Seasoned Member

jglynn-"Feel free to point out anything I have said that is not true, and I will defend it, or admit I was wrong."

If the amount of coyotes someone has killed is the determining factor on if their opinions are valid...I doubt most the folks complaining about mine, would qualify.

Take care.

#2280732 - 08/31/12 11:30 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: btech29]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

Fred, I think there was some give and take on that squabble. I certainly think Gunner gave as much as he took. Tony may have been calling him back? I dont know. I will say there are few dogs Ive seen that would have dished out that much. I know mine wont.

Freddy, you know I like you. Its not that I disagree with what your saying, I just question why your saying it. Aint much need in it. I know, I know, freedom of speech, bla, bla, bla. Thats the problem with this country. Everyone is quick to exercise their "rights". Maybe it would be good if we yielded them from time to time.

Thank you, Jeff. I consider you a friend.

I feel there was a need to it stating what I did, since I feel a dog with that type of 'pile into 'em style' would be a headache on stand, especially here in NY. Of the few coyotes that did stick around with the dog on stand (late summer), they stood their ground just like that coyote did to Gunner. Thankfully, I was hot in the 'tone' and kept the little pup from taking a full frontal azz whoopin'. He peels off like a fighter jet laugh He's big enough & quick enough now to prolly drop the gloves, but I'd still tone him off if I saw him about to pile into a coyote. I have 100% ZERO interest in doctoring my dog, if I can avoid it. Prepared? YES. Looking for it? CRAZY!
So, if my comments might make a "newer than me" guy think twice about what he sees in a video, then I'm gonna dang well share it.

In a nutshell, that is why I feel my thoughts were relevant. And I stand by them.

Thanks for the reply, dude!

#2280752 - 08/31/12 11:50 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: knockemdown]
CrazyHorse66 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Oklahoma
<--- Not an expert.

What Gunner did gives me more confidence in his abilities.

He did what had to be done at the moment in the execution of his duties.

Did he make dog owners pucker up? Sure! But he'll be fine.

Maybe TT's previous experience with sight hounds form his opinion on acceptable aggressiveness in a decoy dog?

It's his vet bill after all.....

#2280753 - 08/31/12 11:50 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
jglynn Offline
Die Hard Member II

doc, u dont understand. what is am saying is that if you want to be a critic, prove you are worthy!! just prove it and we will all know that you are not just a sh!t starter.

knockemdown, you are in luck pal, i am a member of the OPHA and i will be at the hunt! i am pretty sure we will not hunt together though. maybe if i had proof that you were a proficiant hunter and not a keyboard killer my mind would change, but there is no proof. to me you are a sh!t starter too.

and you are right pal, you dont owe me anything. but if you want to be a cridict show us some credentails that make you worthy. thats all everyone is saying........

hopefully this dont get in to too much name calling and we can see each other at the OPHA hunt and just prove who the real hunters are. Good Luck!!! it is in my backyard. haha

Edited by jglynn (08/31/12 11:54 AM)

#2280756 - 08/31/12 11:53 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: knockemdown]
Dasher Offline
Die Hard Member II

Doc,

You are one of the guys I did respect and cared about your input and opinion. In the last week or so with all your honest input and cocky nature, that respect has just faded away for me. That's all. Nothin more than that to say, so now I'll quit bitin my tougnue on your be half.

Take care
W C Brann

#2280758 - 08/31/12 12:02 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
cawilson82 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: tn
It boils down to opinion on what a decoy dog should be. I believe a few have made some of this personal as which thats how everything goes. Whether a man is the best pitcher or whose got the hottest wife or who has the best decoy dog there will always be jealous people with their opinions.

There are several guys here with great dogs. Is gunner the world champion decoy dog? No . If there were such competition im sure his name wouof appear in the hall of fame.

I agree numbers dont mean so much and nooone has to prove anything. Tony and Gunner have proven it

As to whether gunner could handle himself with the so common 50lb Plus New York coyote? No doubt whatsoever.

#2280760 - 08/31/12 12:07 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
coyote_roede Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: South Dakota
Ryan Fred Uphill have some very good points.

Ryan could not have said it better myself. We know what we need in dogs to get coyotes killed and complaints solved.

Fred you have a very keen eye when it comes to canine behavior, Pokey is lucky to have you as an owner. It is refreshing to see some meat in a post. Fred I luv that east coast attitude, I see it in my hunters in the fall etc.

Tony I want to thank you for posting the fight seen because I hope it shows to those with young dogs and those maybe thinking of getting a dog as to what may be waiting for them on a stand. Should open some eyes.

I know your proud of Gunner as we all are of our dogs. I was given a 3 year old Airdale cross this summer which has the same traits as he does. She luvs to catch and chew and has to be corrected with a collar to decoy. Very different than what I am used to, not so much wrong just different.

I will say that after a summer with her my other dog out produces her hands down on dead coyotes, she provides more entertainment but also blows out a lot of coyotes or causes them to have to be shot at extended ranges. Not to mention the stress factor for me, runnin a collar a caller etc etc. I am spoiled. I am also in business of killing coyotes the more boring the better.

I will make one point, the sound or sound sequences and relating sound to the situation gets overlooked. Coyote reaction to a dog starts usually with the hearing of a sound and then coming to investigate. It goes from vocal to visual and progresses from there. The coyote or coyotes have an idea of long before they see the dog as to whats there and usually prepare accordingly. Whether moving pups away, gathering of adults, etc What you portray in denning season when you make a sound can and does determine the reaction or lack of reaction from the coyotes to the dog. Just somethin to think about. You can see it in videos etc if you think about it.

Opinions are like well we all know the answer to that, you post and well all the feedback ain't going to be positive.

Steve to your original post, yes i think it will work, a close hunting disciplined dog should work the best. I assume it will be in some tight cover so your going to want to keep tabs on that dog. Dog should be a good reason for the agressive coyotes to come out but may be negative deal on the shyer coyotes who will just look thru the edge or circle to get the wind thru the cover. used to live in Iowa and i think we would be dealin with similar problems. If you decide to do it shoot me a PM.

#2280782 - 08/31/12 12:51 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

THANK YOU, Randy!
You're prolly right, my 'NY attitude' prolly rubs people along longer than the message I'm trying to convey. Way we do chit here is we speak our mind, got no time to dilly/dally. You are alot more succinct in your delivery and your reputation precedes you...

Edited by knockemdown (08/31/12 02:30 PM)

#2280783 - 08/31/12 12:51 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: coyote_roede]
UphillDoc Offline
Seasoned Member

jglynn-I get it, but if I can somehow prove to you that I know what Im talkin about, will that make you change your mind to my way of thinkin? What exactly were your credentials to be questioning mine? I think whats the most amazing, is that neither the owner or breeder of the dog in question are asking if Im fit to have an opionion on the subject. In fact, the breeder has publicly stated he agreed with me. How many videos and folks agreeing with me, will it take to make you change your mind?

Dasher-Its too bad you feel that way. How would you have liked me to word my input without sounding cocky? Was I supposed to give dishonest input?

coyote roede-Nice post. Taking the emotion/ego out of a discussion can actually lead to some good insight, and helpful information.

Take care.

#2280784 - 08/31/12 12:56 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
Dustballs Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Wyoming
Anytime you ask a question you are going to get an answer. It may not be the answer you want. Everyone has their idea what they want out of a dog. If you are happy then great. But if you go through read and reread this post or other posts there is allot of good information being posted.

With the exception of Btech dogs and Gunner I wouldnt feed many of the dogs that people are claiming to be decoy dogs let alone post video of them on the net. If you do be ready for a spade to be called a spade.

#2280790 - 08/31/12 01:04 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: btech29]
doggin coyotes Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Colorado

Freddy, you know I like you.

You always did like Fred better than me! tongue_smilie

#2280792 - 08/31/12 01:09 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: doggin coyotes]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

Edited by knockemdown (08/31/12 02:30 PM)

#2280810 - 08/31/12 01:28 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

Randy, I don't know you, but have heard alot about you. Your post solidified what I've heard about you. Very level headed post, backed with experience. You have my respect sir.

Tony

Tony Tebbe

#2280831 - 08/31/12 01:57 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: doggin coyotes]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotes

Lol! I wondered when you would chime in Larry.

I was wanting to tell you some good news. On the other board you can not type the word yote. Their software automatically changes it to coyote. Just thought that might cheer you up. wink

Edited by btech29 (08/31/12 01:57 PM)

#2280833 - 08/31/12 01:58 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

Man, there is way too much reading here than I have time on my lunch break from working on fence. I scanned through it

Doc, I haven't produced a superior pup to Gunner...yet. Of course, they are all still young dogs. Three years from now, they may outshine him. I've heard from others about you and believe you've got the experience to back up what you say. I'm cool with that.

Fred, Nice coyote. The red sand tells me you had a good time in Western Oklahoma doing some calling. Most likely with my buddy Kelly. Love seeing pictures of dead coyotes. Thank you.

Tony

Tony Tebbe

#2280853 - 08/31/12 02:29 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

Yep, my Okies patnas take good care of me for a few days every year. Anyone can ask KJ what kind of joke I am as coyote caller/shooter, I trust he'll tell ya straight.

In hindsight, I'm gonna go ahead and edit out my last two posts, so as not to detract from what Randy shared. When he talks dogs, I listen!

And from me to you, I apologize if I let my "NY attitude" get too overbearing. Back here, if a point ain't sprinkled with a good dose of attitude, no one seems to take notice, LOL.
I still stand by what I wrote, but I'll try to emulate Randy & Ryan's posting style in the future, so as not to 'smack the hornet's nest' when making a point. Bottom line is, there has been a lot of valuable interaction here in the thread, so maybe a bit of 'tude to get the collective juices flowing ain't all that bad???

Take care & good hunting!

#2280868 - 08/31/12 02:57 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: knockemdown]
Dasher Offline
Die Hard Member II

Randy, Love how you teach. Particularly how you deliver the knowledge. thumbup
W C Brann

#2280871 - 08/31/12 03:04 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
jglynn Offline
Die Hard Member II

Now this thread is boiling down a little and maybe we can start spreading ideas instead of critiques.

the past hunts are in the past. cant change them. no need to run anyone or any dog down. lets hear some things that will make future hunts better.

this thread went way off course and i dont think that was the OP's intention to what her really wanted to know.

#2280888 - 08/31/12 03:37 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

Wow Fred. See...I knew there had to be good intent in your posts. And all this time, I thought it was just another opportunity to ride my azz. smile

Anyone who's a friend of Kelly is a friend of mine.

It's all good man.

Tony

Tony Tebbe

#2280912 - 08/31/12 04:17 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: btech29]
doggin coyotes Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: doggin coyotes

Lol! I wondered when you would chime in Larry.

I was wanting to tell you some good news. On the other board you can not type the word yote. Their software automatically changes it to coyote. Just thought that might cheer you up. wink

I'm always cheerful Jeff. That's why people like me so much. I'm a true joy to be around. I'm a people person.

Soooooo, how about dog, doggie, yipper, yapper, yotie, mutt, all that other nonsense slang? The software change that too? lol

#2280968 - 08/31/12 05:44 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
CAT DADDY COLD Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Comanche OK
Kumbaya at last....

Stay after them
Kelly

PS for some of the new guys, this is the only vid I have on the web. Might be worth 10 minutes of your life. It shows a pup in training that just turned a year old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUZotRuhFFM

I helped put one of my good buddies in the ground today. Hope everyone keeps a good eye on whats important.
Have a good long weekend and spend time with your families.
kj

Edited by CAT DADDY COLD (08/31/12 05:46 PM)

Kelly Jackson - Foxpro Field Staff

#2280978 - 08/31/12 05:56 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
jglynn Offline
Die Hard Member II

ive seen that video before cat daddy. one of the best ive seen!! great job!

#2280994 - 08/31/12 06:15 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

Sorry to hear about that Kelly. Life is precious, too short, and you only get one chance at it. You have my condolences.

Tony

Tony Tebbe

#2280998 - 08/31/12 06:20 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: TonyTebbe]
UphillDoc Offline
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbe
Man, there is way too much reading here than I have time on my lunch break from working on fence. I scanned through it

Doc, I haven't produced a superior pup to Gunner...yet. Of course, they are all still young dogs. Three years from now, they may outshine him. I've heard from others about you and believe you've got the experience to back up what you say. I'm cool with that.

Fred, Nice coyote. The red sand tells me you had a good time in Western Oklahoma doing some calling. Most likely with my buddy Kelly. Love seeing pictures of dead coyotes. Thank you.

Tony

Tony-Bravo...a straight forward response. A perfect example of "no need to lie, when the truth will do"! We dont have to agree on anything, let alone everything, to have a constructive conversation. I actually just gained some more respect for you. Good luck with the pups in the future, and Im especially interested in watching your lurcher type dogs develop. I will try to choose my words more carefully in the future, but I cant make too many promises blushing Im just hoping I can find more things I agree with, than disagree with, as I sure hate being called the cocky, [beeep] stirrer... cursing

Take care.

#2281005 - 08/31/12 06:32 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
Spined Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Tx
Knockemdown, I have no animosity towards you and I may take you up on your offer but I can pay my way. The thing that frustrates me about the forums is how they get sideways. Maybe I missed something but I never heard Gunner referred to as a kill dog. He had a scuffle and still did his job which was to decoy. I sent you a message with my number give me a shout and maybe I can understand where your coming from with this.

#2281015 - 08/31/12 06:45 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: btech29]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Wauneta, NE / Gold Canyon, AZ
I posted before i got caught up. You all made my post N/A.

Good info here. I know the haters will reach out to me again for this, but...."PredatorMasters Rocks!"

Edited by DoubleCK (08/31/12 07:12 PM)

#2281038 - 08/31/12 07:25 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Boy I missed alot when I had to carry my wifes grandmother to her final resting spot today.Coyote roedo that is some good info you gave and I will get intouch with you.

See guys you can get your point across and not be so Abusive and smart mouth but some will never learn that.

#2281041 - 08/31/12 07:26 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

My respect just went up for you, as well, Doc. You really want to get into a debate....you should see Gunner catch jackrabbits. grin Doesn't happen all the time, but we watched him catch 4 in a row one night. His norm is 1 catch to every 100 attempts. lol

I've got a lurcher/blackmouth cur cross pup that I kept back, that I have a strong interest in seeing how she turns out. Keeping my fingers crossed on her. She bays the heck out of farm cats right now. smile

It's all good guys.

Tony

Tony Tebbe

#2281077 - 08/31/12 08:07 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: TonyTebbe]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Sorry about your friend Kelly. Your right too, life is too short for all this nonsense. Heck, we are prolly all doing it wrong. We need to take a step back and not take ourselves so seriously.

#2281110 - 08/31/12 09:01 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Perhaps the winner is the one having the most fun out in the field. Gonna try to have some in the morning.
thumbup

Edited by DoubleCK (08/31/12 09:02 PM)

#2281118 - 08/31/12 09:11 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Good luck and Kill a truck load.

#2281132 - 08/31/12 09:23 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: DoubleCK]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Originally Posted By: DoubleCK
Perhaps the winner is the one having the most fun out in the field. Gonna try to have some in the morning.
thumbup

Be sure and save some of that fun for when I come up Craig. Man Im looking forward to it.

#2281163 - 08/31/12 09:58 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Jeff, I don't know about coyotes, but we will sure be able to show you some West.

#2281165 - 08/31/12 10:01 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: DoubleCK]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

I dont care if we kill anything, Im just looking forward to hunting with you and Tucker. If we dont see any coyotes it will be just like when I hunt here at home. thumbup1

Sent you a PM.

Edited by btech29 (08/31/12 10:02 PM)

#2281203 - 08/31/12 10:39 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
trapper2 Offline
Die Hard Member III

dang you guys been busy today, ha. ok i hope nobody takes this post wrong, i am not wanting to fight or bad mouth anyone.

jglynn, you asked for video to back it up, well i have carried a camera some and got alittle video, none of it worth putting on cause i cant run a camera and my dogs dont do much but i know of three guys that have posted in this thread that have abunch that very few people will ever see. i have the upmost respect for guys that can run a camera and hunt. i also know of quite afew guys that dont have any video of their dogs and their dogs are the best i have ever seen, and i'm not talking one dog, i'm talking about guys that have super dogs time after time, i'm just saying a person dont have to have video of their dogs to have good dogs. i hunted with a guy two days ago that has been useing a decoy dogs since before most of us were born and he cant ever turn a computer on, i know he dont have any video, ha, and he has great dogs.

i know everyone gets worked up over these threads going in every direction but thats the way every conversation i ever been in does.

i know fred comes on hard but i also know some guys that hunt with him and they say fred is as good a hunter as you can find and thats coming from guys i trust, heck i come off as a jerk in person so i know i must do the same on here, but i think we both will tell it like we see it and thats what i like about fred.

randy and doc, thanks for the compliments.

and this one is for anyone who has or wants a decoy dog, they are not a super tool, will they help, at times yes and at times no, they are just another tool in the box, they can be fun and can help you but the main thing with a dog is time, you got to put time into them, spend as much time as you can on them cause the greatest dog in the world wasnt born that way, somebody put some hours into him, then go have fun with them

#2281210 - 08/31/12 10:48 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: trapper2]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Yup. Tools for some Toys for others.
blush

#2281224 - 08/31/12 11:03 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
the impactzone Offline
Die Hard Member III

and this one is for anyone who has or wants a decoy dog, they are not a super tool, will they help, at times yes and at times no, they are just another tool in the box, they can be fun and can help you but the main thing with a dog is time, you got to put time into them, spend as much time as you can on them cause the greatest dog in the world wasnt born that way, somebody put some hours into him, then go have fun with them

well said Trapper2 thank you

#2281240 - 08/31/12 11:17 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: the impactzone]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Edited by btech29 (08/31/12 11:56 PM)

#2281256 - 08/31/12 11:43 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

To be honest I don't care about kill numbers or how many clips you have on tape. It's about how you carry your self and treat others.Even if you have the best dogs you will never get any of my money if you act like a PRICK not directed at anyone here.

I have got alot of good info but had to sort through a lot of crap to get it.

Tony good talking with you. Thanks again for the help.

FYI Talked with with Tony tonight STAND UP GUY!

#2281275 - 09/01/12 12:10 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
Wallace Bender Offline

Loc: St. Louis MO
Whew, an angry place this Lions, Bears and Houndsman forum is!

#2281290 - 09/01/12 12:40 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: Wallace Bender]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Don't let this thread scare you off not all like this.

#2281346 - 09/01/12 07:40 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
Wallace Bender Offline

Loc: St. Louis MO
Well, consider me a TT/Gunner fan. The amount of jealousy here is incredible! I just love the critique of Gunner by some of the eastern "experts" and the very astute "Duner" but guess what?...TT and Gunner are still going to be rock'n-roll'n and knocking down yotes while you internet svengali's will be sitting at your keyboard wondering WHAT HAPPENED?

Shut up and HUNT is all I can say to the haters/traitors/bators here (here is your cue, Duane, to delete and ban me, it's no secret that you have a pretty hard time with TT's success)

#2281354 - 09/01/12 08:08 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
trapper2 Offline
Die Hard Member III

roode, i understand, the main reason for my post was the last part, "go have fun with them"

#2281358 - 09/01/12 08:30 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: trapper2]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Not aimed at you at all Trapper. You have given some good advice and thank you sir.

#2281365 - 09/01/12 08:54 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

KJ, sorry about your friend.
I'll never get tired of watching Pepper...

Spined, took the evening off from the interweb, I will be in touch.

Ryan, thank you for that. The check is in the mail laugh

In the interest of keeping this post moving forward, I'll post up a short video of my dog at 14months old on stand in PA. I actually only decided to try videoing stands after he decoyed three coyotes the week before, and have not ever been able to get a kill on video.

Anyhoo, there is no coyote footage in the video, but it shows a brief glimpse of our terrain and how I like my pup to work it. Thought there mighta been one come from the brush to the left, but nothing ever followed back.

A few hundred yards is about as far as I want him to range, and I DID get a bit nervous when he left my sight. He was gone for a couple minutes, then came back on his own.
After he 'inspects' the immediate area, he will usually come back and sit beside me to watch for movement. But if he sees, or smells anything, he goes on his own...

http://youtu.be/IaKe7ByvKQQ

Hope that wasn't too boring, LOL! But it shows how I like my dog to act on a stand. I want him out front actively looking, smelling, hearing for, and being a visual attractant to, any coyotes that may come to investigate whatever call sequence I use. After about 15-20 minutes, he will usually come back & sit by me to watch for movement. But those first few minutes, he's out front trying to make something happen.
that may sound weird to the 'out west' guys, but the vast majority of coyotes that I've kilt in the open have taken their sweet azz time to show themselves! 45+ minutes on stand is about the average I sit.

For conversation...

#2281373 - 09/01/12 09:25 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Looked good to me how far out he was working. We I am at it is dinner plate flat. So my dog would be able to range a little more and still be able to keep and eye on him.

#2281406 - 09/01/12 10:25 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
REID2168 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Indiana
when they started talking in that video i thought there was gonna be a HIT i mean it sounded like two MOB guys waiting to make a HIT if u ask me.....im just an Indiana REDNECK so i know MOB guys when i hear them....hahahahahaha...nice vid of the dog working.............thx.

#2281443 - 09/01/12 11:37 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: knockemdown]
cjdavis618 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Originally Posted By: knockemdown
KJ, sorry about your friend.
I'll never get tired of watching Pepper...

Spined, took the evening off from the interweb, I will be in touch.

Ryan, thank you for that. The check is in the mail laugh

In the interest of keeping this post moving forward, I'll post up a short video of my dog at 14months old on stand in PA. I actually only decided to try videoing stands after he decoyed three coyotes the week before, and have not ever been able to get a kill on video.

Anyhoo, there is no coyote footage in the video, but it shows a brief glimpse of our terrain and how I like my pup to work it. Thought there mighta been one come from the brush to the left, but nothing ever followed back.

A few hundred yards is about as far as I want him to range, and I DID get a bit nervous when he left my sight. He was gone for a couple minutes, then came back on his own.
After he 'inspects' the immediate area, he will usually come back and sit beside me to watch for movement. But if he sees, or smells anything, he goes on his own...

http://youtu.be/IaKe7ByvKQQ

Hope that wasn't too boring, LOL! But it shows how I like my dog to act on a stand. I want him out front actively looking, smelling, hearing for, and being a visual attractant to, any coyotes that may come to investigate whatever call sequence I use. After about 15-20 minutes, he will usually come back & sit by me to watch for movement. But those first few minutes, he's out front trying to make something happen.
that may sound weird to the 'out west' guys, but the vast majority of coyotes that I've kilt in the open have taken their sweet azz time to show themselves! 45+ minutes on stand is about the average I sit.

For conversation...

That is exactly what Doc would do when I had him. He would smell around and trail things and never stay at my stand. More than once, he would go into the woods like that I and I would hear a fight break out, he would come back and nothing would follow. I miss ole Doc.

Good luck with Pokey, looks like a fine dog.

#2281497 - 09/01/12 01:45 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
trapper2 Offline
Die Hard Member III

what happened to doc?

#2281512 - 09/01/12 02:38 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Tucker does like to range out. Sometimes up to 300+ yards. She was about 40 yards out in front of me this morning when I shot a female sitting up on a ridge to my right 150 yards up and over. The coyote wasn't interested in working the dog, but she sure was enjoying the Tucker look.

The neighbor/rancher was with me with his 25-06. His wife emailed me earlier, and then he had called about the problems the coyotes were giving them. We will see if this corrects their coyote behavior some. We would like to wait and hit them again when we get some Arkansas company in a couple weeks but if they call we will have to go.

If it is really about having fun...well we sure are. grin

#2281515 - 09/01/12 02:47 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: DoubleCK]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Nice work Craig! Great pic too.

#2281520 - 09/01/12 03:01 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

That is a good looking dog not the one with it's tongue hanging out. Nice work to.

#2281523 - 09/01/12 03:03 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
yfzduner450 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: West Jordan, Utah
Great job Craig!! Tucker is sure a looker.

#2281629 - 09/01/12 06:44 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

That is a good looking dog not the one with it's tongue hanging out. Nice work to.

LOL! You just missed it. The chubby one's tongue was hanging out after scaling that ridge to check that coyote.

Thanks Jeremy. She has filled out some since you hunted with us.

We need to see some pics of those good lookin potlickers of yours now.

#2281705 - 09/01/12 08:59 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: DoubleCK]
Dasher Offline
Die Hard Member II

Very nice work Craig. Those are good lookin dogs, specially the one that's still alive. Think we got one here that's gonna look almost identical. smile
W C Brann

#2281778 - 09/01/12 10:20 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Let's see. New member, 9 posts, stirring a topic that just went useful. Talking like they been here forever.

WTH? Memorex?

Seen this before. Everyone here needs to know there are folks out there who really DO NOT want us to enjoy our discussions on Predator Masters.

Tony, you know this "New Member?" I sure don't.

#2281782 - 09/01/12 10:23 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: DoubleCK]
Jeff Mock Offline
President

Loc: Manchester, MI
Let's see. New member, 9 posts, stirring a topic that just went useful. Talking like they been here forever.

WTH? Memorex?

Seen this before. Tony you gonna weigh in here?

Not to worry...

This CLOWN likes to come on and get a new membership using Euopean IP addy's. He get's about 8 solid posts in and then get's the Axe.

I'm sure he'll be back in a week or two.

Carry on fellas, he is OUTTA here...

"Predator calling has produced some of the most spectacular misses I have ever witnessed." ---- Fred Cronk

#2281787 - 09/01/12 10:29 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Thanks Jeff! This must be the guy who has my email address. I expect I will be hearing from him soon. I bet he uses the term "Douche Bag." It seems to be his favorite thing. I worry about a person like that.

It really bugs him when I state, "PredatorMasters Rocks."

#2281789 - 09/01/12 10:32 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: DoubleCK]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Thanks Jeff! This must be the guy who has my email address. I expect I will be hearing from him soon. I bet he uses the term "Douche Bag." It seems to be his favorite thing. I worry about a person like that.

Did you get a odd voice mail on you cell phone today? No reason, just curious. whistle

#2281804 - 09/01/12 10:48 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: DoubleCK]
Jeff Mock Offline
President

Loc: Manchester, MI

CORRECTO-MUNDO!!!

"Predator calling has produced some of the most spectacular misses I have ever witnessed." ---- Fred Cronk

#2281831 - 09/01/12 11:27 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
sittinpretty Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: mid-ohio
I dont understand what the confusion is about. There is a decoy dog and there is a killer dog. Gunner has a little bit of both. Whats the problem? I say that's the both of best worlds. My dog has brought home anything u can think of, coyotes to foxes to full size deer. Seen it with my eyes. To say if it was in the east would be a different story, wouldn't even be a story. Bring gunner over here and it will be the same result. He has heart and that's all it takes .

#2281835 - 09/01/12 11:30 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: btech29]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Did you get a odd voice mail on you cell phone today? No reason, just curious. whistle

Don't know. Don't get a signal out on the ranch. Try not to got to town on the weekends. I'll be anxious to check on your TomFoolery Monday.
cursing

#2281839 - 09/01/12 11:33 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Loc: Gods Country
I've been busy with other things the last few days.Just getting on here, seems like (no surprise) everything is worked out.Lots of good comments. I try not to cuss anyone or their dogs, I know sometimes I fail at that, but it is my intent.Decoy dogs will dam sure work back east, myself and many other guys have done it, and guys are doing it right now, day and night while we are on the confuser.
Keep an open mind, work thru the info, and make the best of what info helps you. Thats the best advice I can offer.
As for Wallace, you wanna come hunt with me you are welcome to do so. No secret Tony and I have some diff ideas, but we are respectful to each other. I don't know where you got your dog for this fight, but you might be best to leave it on a chain.I won't ban you, I don't play that way,as far as I care you can continue to post,the members can make up their own mind about you, it's not up to me to judge anyone.

"IF YOU'RE GONNA TALK SMART,YOU BETTER RIDE A FAST HORSE"

#2282490 - 09/02/12 10:53 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

Wow, I thought this thread was dead. Just now checked it since the other day. No idea who the Wallace guy is, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is the same one that has been banned umteentimes for the same crap. I also wouldn't surprise me if he runs a tiny, tiny, nobody hardly ever heard of, dead, full of wanna-be's, predator hunting forum. See, Duane won't judge you....but I will! lol

As far as the decoy dog and kill dog combo. I wouldn't have it any other way. I cull dogs here, that won't grab a live coyote. In my line of business, I get all kinds of hunters. Some can't shoot all that well, under the pressure. The last thing I want to do is go back to blood trailing coyotes across a ranch at night. I want, need, demand a dog that will shut a coyote down. I've been lost too many times looking for runners. Injured coyotes that get away make for calf killers.

Hope that sheds a little light on my way of thinking on what I want in a dog.

Tony

Tony Tebbe

#2282545 - 09/03/12 12:04 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
jglynn Offline
Die Hard Member II

TT I can't believe someone drives all the way out there and then misses........

#2282696 - 09/03/12 11:39 AM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: jglynn]
Happy Birthday bigtrucker Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Manito, Illinois,USA
Originally Posted By: jglynn
TT I can't believe someone drives all the way out there and then misses........
You got me worried . My Son and I are driving from Illinois at end of month to hunt with Tony & Gunner. You got me psyched now, that all I'll be thinking about. Will miss for sure.

#2282731 - 09/03/12 12:39 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

Don't worry about missing Mike. Trucker will save the day. He and Gunner caught a coyote that ran across the road on me, while checking traps this morning. Gunner rolled it multiple times, but Trucker is the one that grabbed it, shut it down, and shook it. You would have been proud.

Tony

Tony Tebbe

#2283011 - 09/03/12 07:46 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: TonyTebbe]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Tony when you get a chance I would like to speak to you again. Thanks Steve.

#2283041 - 09/03/12 08:17 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: roode301]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

Give me a holler Steve. 575-390-0048 Going dove hunting in a bit, but can talk now.

Tony Tebbe

#2283524 - 09/04/12 01:58 PM Re: Decoy dogs in the east [Re: TonyTebbe]
Happy Birthday bigtrucker Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Manito, Illinois,USA
Originally Posted By: TonyTebbe
Don't worry about missing Mike. Trucker will save the day. He and Gunner caught a coyote that ran across the road on me, while checking traps this morning. Gunner rolled it multiple times, but Trucker is the one that grabbed it, shut it down, and shook it. You would have been proud.

Tony
I am proud Tony, the more he gets exposed the better he will get. The next couple of weeks are getting longer and longer can hardly wait to come down. Thanks Mike

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

© Predator Mastersô, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.