Ruger sr22/ Walther p22

john007

Been looking for a .22 and was curious if anybody has or had one of the two. Any feeding issues, or any other problems.

I have a Walther P22. It shoots every time I pull the trigger. I have the short barreled one that I run a suppressor on. I have never even had a hiccup with it. That being said, it is no "ten ring" gun. The 5" version shoot more accurate. I have never shot the Ruger so I can't say much about it.

I heard of the p22 losing barrels after a few thousand rounds. My brother has one and it was fun but didn't like fed bulk ammo.

Everyone I have talked to says the sr22 will eat anything you throw at it.

Sig's are rumored to only like the expense stuff.

I have held all 3 and shot the p22 and in the same boat as you but I decided on the sr22 out of the 3.

I owned 2 p22's. Both gave me problems with dents and dings on the bottom of the slide. Which was too bad because i loved the way they felt in my hand. They shot fairly accurately although i ended up getting rid of both after afew hundred round due to the pitting on the slides.

I now have a sr22. It shoots flawlessly, it is very accurate and so far no issues at all. I am very happy with it.

That is my experience, i hope it helps

We have a shop P22 we use with suppressor testing. It works well with most any ammo, with or without a suppressor.

With that said, get the SR22. The SR22 can be had for a similar price to the P22's, has an aircraft grade aluminum slide rather than the zinc slide on the P22, it's USA made, has a better magazine release, and comes with (2) magazines rather than 1.

Since the SR22's have come out our P22 mag sales have TANKED, and we sell a ton of the SR22's and SR22 Magazines.

We talked to some Ruger reps this spring at SHOT and a distributor show and we asked about the SR22's coming out with a threaded barrel. They said that was most likely in the works but not coming out immediately. Once those come out, I'd suspect the P22 sales will tank even more.

I have a P 22 I carry when I hunt. Fired hundreds of rounds with it and never a problem. I like the size and feel. Came with two mags. I shoot CCI stingers with good results.

I have an sr22 aswell. It's a great shooting little gun. Only problem it ever had was FTE twice with my girlfriends little brother. They were winchester bulk pack with the lead hollowpoint. Im not sure how but im pretty sure it was something that he was doing because i was unable to get it to replicate the failures with me. Maybe he was limp wristing a .22 haha. I've shot about 1500 rounds through it though and havn't had a problem with it. It's pretty accurate and is a pretty small gun that is still comforable in the hand. I use it as a river gun, and it hasn't let me down yet.

I shot the sr22 loved the way it felt. Shot a p22 had fte problems. Had a sig misquito. It sucked and would not cycle 1/2 the ammo. Now my only rimfir pistol is is my Ruger MKIII hunter. It has the 6-7/8" flutted bull bbl. it will out shoot all 3 of the others i mentioned. It is heavier but it runs flawlessly and i will be able to hand down to my kids no problem!

I have the short barrel walther p22 that I have put about 2,500 rounds through so far with no problems. I have an Action Targets dueling tree that has 4" plates on it and I can hit them cosistantly at 20ft. It shoots great and feels great in my hands. I have only fired CCI's and the 525 round Federal bulk pack ammo through it and it cycles them both great. That being said, I have never even held a SR22 so I can not comment on it but I just today looked at a Ruger SR9C and loved it, I plan on going back and buying it at the end of the week.

I had an sr9 full sized. Awesome gun. Very accurate too. My buddy has the sr9c and its a great lil gun. Very easy to clean the trigger up as well!

My Walther P22 had lots of feeding issues in the beginning, but has broken in well. It tends to be ammo specific which means it doesn't really like the bulk ammo that is on the shelves here. The CCI is all that the owner's manual recommends. I love mine, but today I would buy the Ruger which was not in production when I bought mine.

I have a short barreled P22 I bought for my wife to get her used to shooting a simi auto. We have shot about 1000 rounds of bulk ammo thru it without a FTF. So far I like it. Not quite as accurate as my old Ruger single six but that is probably just me not being as used to it. My old ruger has had many thousands of rounds thru it in the last 25 years and is still my go to gun for jackrabbit shooting.

drscott

Went and got me the Ruger today. Going to take it to the range and see how she shoots. Being left handed, any ideas on holsters? What to loaded it with while hunting?

Last edited:
I just bought me the P22 a couple days ago. Haven't shot it yet, but bought it because my brother owns one as well, and he just loves it. From all of the reviews I hear about it, it seems I may have a 50/50 chance on whether it's a pos or not. I hope the quality didn't go down when the sales went down, cause it's not the same gun my brother owns, though they are both P22's, he's had his for some years now.

Hey guys. I am poised to buy the SR22 but will want to get a laser sight for it. I see a special run of the gun available that comes with the Crimson Trace brand laser. My local gun store sells the gun w/out laser but they offer a Laserlyte brand that will also fit the SR22.

I think the cost is the same whether I buy the packaged deal (gun with Crimson) or buy the gun and Laserlyte separate. Anybody have an opinion over which might be better?

took mine out and put 380 ounds through mine. Had a couple ftf but with the remingtons and CCIs no problem. The problem was with the Wally World Federal Maroon and Gray box . Some would fire out of my 929 either. Happy with the purchase
thumbup.gif

Back