Help me decide.........

1up5down

Which scope to put on my rifle. I recently picked up a custom (at least to me) 6 MM rifle and have narrowed my scope choice down to two. I'm considering buying a Nightforce, but I'm also interested in the IOR Valdada scopes.

Having owned one,I know the reputation Nightforce has with their tracking and repeatability, but I have been reading reviews that rave about the optical clarity of the IOR's. I have read that their older scopes have had tracking issues but that seems to have been resolved.

The rifle will be used primarily for long range ghog and coyotes. And since I live 20 min. away from a 1200 yd. range, would like to see how bad I do at that also.

Looking for anybody who has any experience with the IOR or who has been able to do a side by side comparison or if there is another brand I have not considered.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Dave

Last edited:
I owned a 3-18x42 IOR and the glass was indeed, superb. Better than either NXS or USO, ask me how I know...
wink.gif

Thebig3.jpg

MY IOR happened to track just fine, but I wound up selling it. Sold the USO too, even though I dig the Erek knob.
On strict glass comparison, I think you will find IOR to be superior. But when considering a four digit scope purchase, NXS' rock solid reputation for mechanical durability goes a loooong way. And the glass is plenty good to hit whatever you want, it just don't make me all 'tingly' about how incredible the sight picture is. If you seek the 'wow factor', Premier is all that, and a bag of chips...

Thanks for the feedback Fred. Yeah I would love to have a Premier but I know that's out of my budget.
thumbdown.gif

Guess I should have said my budget is around $1600 or less.

I have also looked at USO but even their used scopes are out of my price range. Been looking on the other forums and can get a used Nightforce in the 5.5-22 power range with rings for less than $1500. IOR's in the same power range are a little over $1500 new with rings included.

Decisions...... decisions

1up5down -

I have tried (owned) a couple of Nightforces and a couple of IOR's. I think what you have found is true - Nightforce is the tried and true, very mechanically reliable scope. IOR has much better glass "pop" but has had some issues (Neither of mine have had any issues). A couple more things for you to consider:

1) Do you need or want FFP? Once you learn how to use it, it is a real benefit, in my opinion. However some folks don't want or need it. If it is important to you, there is only one NF scope that is FFP right now and it is generally not in your price range - even used. IOR has a number of FFP scopes in their lineup.

2) Reticles - have you looked closely at and given some thought to what kind of reticle you want? NF has quite a range - IOR is a little more limited.

3) This one is my biggest issue with NF - I wear corrective lenses (glasses), and I found that I frequently would have the reticle "disappear" on me with both and NP-R1 and an MLR. This is not standard for most folks, but there seem to be a subset of folks that have this issue with NF. I think it has to do with their finer reticles and that interaction with certain eyeglasses. And yes, I do know how to properly adjust a scope to tune reticle clarity. Other very expereinienced users have reported the same thing. So, especially if you have eyeglasses, spend some time behind one before you purchase - especially looking at the reticle against a dark background. *This may not be an issue as I see you had one before and are considering one agains....*

4) Resale value - as you have probably seen if you are crusing the used market, NF seems to hold their value a little better and not lose as much of new price as used IOR stuff.

5) Turret feel - again if you can get both in your hands, NF and IOR have different feeling turrets. Personally, I am OK with both, but some folks have a distinct preference.

One last note - in your price range, I would also be considering a used Vortex Razor. They are FFP, built very heavy, good glass, a reticle I like, and backed by what I have found to be one of the best, no hassle, all out customer oriented warranties in the business. You may have to hunt for a used one in your price range, and it may not appear tomorrow,or even next week, but they can be had at that price.

Knockem and Crashdog, I'm new to the long range thing and not really sure which focal plane would be better. Of course I want to get the one that would work best. What are the pros and cons of both?

I have not considered the Vortex Razor. Will look at those. have heard pretty good things about them.

I have considered the resale value of both and I agree with you Crashdog, seems that Nf scopes move rather quickly compared to IOR's.

I do like the feel of the turrets on the NF. i would love to handle a IOR but don't know of anyone who sells or has one.

One last thing is the reticle. My last NF had the NPR-2 and I liked it alot but I also like the look of the IOR MP8. Also like the NF MOAR reticle.

I appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

Dave

Dave, you certainly don't need a FFP reticle for long range shooting, but it does help if you like to your use the reticle for wind holds, as the FFP will subtend accurately at any magnifcation power. SFP, you'll need to be on ranging power, and conditions may not always be ideal to shoot at max power...

The NXS' NP-R1 is a very fine reticle, but I always ever ran it with the illumin on to help it stand out better against a cluttered background.
IOR's MP-8 reticle is mil based, so you'll want to take that into consideration if you are an "moa guy". If you did want a mil based reticle, I wouldn't rule out the SS HD 5-20x50 with FFP Mil-Quad reticle. Fine scope there, especially at the intro price they hit the market at.

BTW, you can pick up a Premier "Hunter" 3-15x50 with covered turrets at your price point. The turrets still "click & track", just they ain't got a big ol' exposed knob to twist 'em...

All that said, I still firmly believe a tried & true used NXS is the bang for your long range shooting buck, bar none...

Thanks for the advice Knockem. I do like to use the reticle for wind holdover. As far as the IOR's reticle, I did not give it consideration about be mil. I do think I prefer MOA.

Right now I'm thinking just get a NF and be done with it. I like the high speed turrets and zero stop but I think that would put me over budget. I also just purchased a Leica 1200 rangefinder so that set me back a little also.

I guess it's like the old saying.... if it aint't broke don't fixit it. That's my opinion of the NF scopes. Just wish the glass had a little more "pop" to it.

Thanks again.

If you are OK with the things I pointed out, I think you will be in great shape staying with a NF. They are issues to me that I just wanted to bring up to help in your decision. NF is an extrememly hearty and well made scope and I don't think there are too many people in the know that would tell you buying one is a poor decision. I have used some products that meet my needs a little better, but NF still makes a real quality product.

As far as glass "pop" - I see a noticeable difference to the IOR, and then another noticeable jump to S&B. Aside from those "jumps" most glass in this price range is somewhat similar with small nuances between them.

Thanks Crash. I agree with you on NF. They do have a cult following. The things that worry me most with the IOR's is the potential of getting one that does not track well or trying to resell it down the road.

The last NF I had was a terrific scope. Can't say anything bad about it. Bought it back when Jeff Huber (I believe that was his name)was at NF. Helped to answer any and all questions about their scopes.

I would love to have a Premier or a S&B but I know that is only a dream on my end. I have already been looking on other forums for used NF scopes and there seems to be a few to be had. Won't have the $$$ saved for a few more weeks before I'm ready to purchase but that's ok, the rifle I plan on putting it on is still in Colorado.

Dave

Anyone have any particular reticle they prefer for long range dog shooting? I'm thinking about a new scope, I like the Nightforce, but I'm uncertain about which reticle to get....

Originally Posted By: FALFireAnyone have any particular reticle they prefer for long range dog shooting? I'm thinking about a new scope, I like the Nightforce, but I'm uncertain about which reticle to get....

I had the NPR2 reticle in my last NF scope. I think the NPR1 or 2 would be fine I like the look of the MOAR reticle though I have not had the chance to see it in person.

Dave

Back