subsonic 22lr ammo

i have been using remington subsonic, and it shoots very well out of my auto rifle. however, i get 1 or 2 duds out of every box of 50, and i also get hangfires now and then. it also keeps on going out the other side of a squirrel.
the cci subsonic segmented looks like the solution to the over penetration, but i am curious about accuracy and reliability in an auto? any experience here?

or other ammo suggestions?

have had alot of good shooting rimfires, they all like Wolf MT, good target ammo, and the winchester sub sonic hp is not bad accuracy wise, and good on squirrels. Has a huge opening at the tip, really thumps them. both cycle out of a friends 10/22 as well.

Im not an expert on subsonic. But cci are good loads. Ive shot em for a while and i cant remember a single dud. Tht doesnt mean i havnt had one but i sure cant remember it.

The best I have used is Eley subsonic. It is fantastically accurate, extremely consistent, and very terminal on the receiving end. However, the price of that stuff has gone through the roof - when you can get it. It was out of production while Eley redesigned it or replaced tooling, I forget. I think it is shipping again after a nice price increase. The SK is pretty good as is RWS however they are creeping up in price also. I tried the Remington and thought it was junk. The CCI isn't bad, but for me I really wasn't crazy about the way it performed on game. The winner for me is the Winchester 40 gr. SubSonic Hollow Point. That little bullet has been consistently accurate in a variety of Long Rifle firearms and hits small game HARD. There is a video on UTube that shows how quickly the Winchester expands compared to some of the other brands - like immediately. Can't be beat for the price in my opinion.

If you head shoot a squirrel with sub's you won't have to worry about punching through them! I use rem sub's and have never lost game with them, just shoot them in the head, no problem!

Steve

I've never shot any Remington subsonic, but their Golden Bullets have the same priming issues you're complaining about.

I've even taken those "duds" and run them again, and some of them still won't fire, even with 2 or 3 deep strikes.

I doubt it's your rifle, mine shoots anything else 100% reliably.

Accuracy is more dependent on your barrel than the ammo. You're going to have to try a few and see what works best in your rifle. Wolf MT seems to be most accurate in a lot, but not all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve K.If you head shoot a squirrel with sub's you won't have to worry about punching through them! I use rem sub's and have never lost game with them, just shoot them in the head, no problem!

Steve

+1 I like CCI CB Caps

head shot on a squirrel at 80 yards? maybe, but a miss surely continues on, i will stick with higher probability shots like a big fat body.
these squirrels are smart, sometimes they take off when you are 100 yards out. they are rock squirrels, they sit on the tops of the rocks or log piles and disappear under them when you show up, so the shots are rarely under 40 yards. the trajectory of a 22 subsonic means significant hold over at 100 yards.

my rifle will run the remington subsonic into one ragged hole at 30 yards. but the remington is unreliable and i really need bullets that will not go buzzing off into the distance.

I'll 2nd the Winchester sub's! I've shot several bricks & never had one not ignite. Accuracy is very good at normal 22LR ranges. They don't shoot quite as well as the Wolf target but sure do hit MUCH harder. For the price it can't be beat.

The Rem's also shot decent in my gun but don't hit as hard & also gave a few "dud's" in the few boxes I tried.

Back