Chronographing the 22 WRM

A short time ago I did some chronographing of two 22 WRM firearms. Both are handguns but different in nature. One is a Ruger Single Six convertable with a 5 1/2 inch barrel and the other is a TC Contender with a Super 14 barrel. Here are the results of my shooting session.

Ruger Single Six 5 1/2 inch barrel, stainless with aftermarket Fire Sights.

1. Hornady Critical Defense 45 grain FTX bullet: Average Velocity was 1425

2. Speer Gold Dot HP Short Barrel 40 grain JHP bullet: Average velocity was 1380

3. Federal Game Shok 50 grain JHP bullet: Average velocity was 1152 fps

4. Remingto VMAX 33 grain poly tipped bullet: Average velocity was 1546 fps.

5. Federal Premium TNT HP 30 grain bullet: Average velocity was 1641 fps

6. Winchester Supreme 34 grain JHP bullet: Average velocity was 1542 fps

7. Winchester Super X 40 grain JHP bullet: Average velocty was 1418 fps.

8. Winchester Dyna Point 45 grain dimple point bullet: Average velocity was 1165 fps.

9. Winchester Dyna Point 45 grain dimple point bullet: Average velocity was 1140 fps. This ammunition was previously frozen in a deep freezer. I have a book by Ragnar Benson titled Survival Poaching. In one chapter he informs the reader that if you take standard velocity 22 lr and put it in a deep freezer for a while it will do something to it to make it subsonic. Well I wanted to try it with some Dynapoints but it appears that the deep freeze did nothing to the chemical make up.

The gun of choice was my ubiquitous TC Contender with a Super 14 22 WRM barrel attached to it. I have several types of ammunition for that caliber and I wanted to see what each type would actually do out of the Super 14" barrel.

The shooting session took place between 430 PM and 600PM. The temperature was 70 F with humidity at 54%. No wind was present and the elevation of the range was 400 feet above sea level. All of the ammunition tested was shot out of a 14 inch TC Contender barrel. Each session consisted of ten shots with averages calculated on those ten shots.

1. CCI Maxi Mag ammunition. 40 grain hollow point load.

High Velocity=1867
Low Velocity=1821
Average= 1841

2. Remington V-Max 33 grain ( This ammunition is about ten years old and bought out in North Dakota on a trip)

High Velocity=2027
Low Velocity=1962
Average= 1994.4

3. Hornady Critical Defense 45 grain FTX

High Velocity=1805
Low Velocity=1742
Average= 1783

4. Speer Gold Dot Short barrel 40 grain GDHP

High Velocity=1916
Low Velocity=1848
Average= 1880

5. Speer 30 grain TNT hollow point by Federal. This was bought out West and is 10 years old.

High Velocity=2300
Low Velocity=2118
Average= 2179

6. Winchester Super X 40 grain JHP : This is advertized as doing 1910 fps on the box.

High Velocity=1841
Low Velocity=1731
Average= 1809.

7. Winchester 45 grain Dynapoint

High Velocity=1598
Low Velocity=1478
Average= 1528.2

8. Winchester Supreme 33 grain JHP.

High Velocity=2045
Low Velocity=2005
Average= 2027.5

I did notice some things while shooting. The position of the gun would have an effect on the recorded velocity. Some of the differences in velocity were very large and I attribute this to that factor. I would like to do this again and construct some points on the rest so that the gun is in the same position at all times. This will ensure a greater amount of accuracy. As it stands for hunting varmints it appears that the Federal load with the 30 grain Speer TNT hollow point is the way to go. That first shot at 2300 fps really opened my eyes but I realize that it may be an anomaly. I do recall that it worked superbly on prairie dogs as well as rockchucks.

Thanks for the info. I shoot 10ft. from the first screen on my chrono what distance did you shoot? Im surprised at the velocitys you got from the 14" barrel,those velocitys are as high as I got from my 24" barrel. I get 2,140fps. out of the Win 34gr. supreme. And the Rem 33gr. V-max around 2,100fps. And the TNTs and +Vs are the pure "hot rods" at over 2,300fps.!

Originally Posted By: massbigbore442001 As it stands for hunting varmints it appears that the Federal load with the 30 grain Speer TNT hollow point is the way to go.

Why? Because it recorded the highest velocity?

Originally Posted By: marcoThe CCI 30gr. TNT is awesome round thats why!

Too bad that bullet just plain sucks. Impressive from some points, but where it really matters it is a real duck.

Too bad that bullet just plain sucks. Impressive from some points, but where it really matters it is a real duck.

In your opinion, what 22 WRM would be the best for fox and coyote? Bear in mind that the places I will be hunting in are rimfire only so any centerfire is way out of the legal question.

Hard to beat the regular cci 40g maxi mags IMHO
I've used them on beavers, opossums, coons, couple fox (no coyotes) avd the results have always been impressive

Try the CCI 40gr. Game Point or the Remington 40gr.Sp Ive had real good luck with them so far. they will out penetrate the 40gr. or 50gr. HP. Very accurate and fast flat shooting! They look and work like a bib game bullet. Go to the CCI web sight and check them out. They are my new go to round for the 22 magnum. I just love them killed 4ytes with them so far 1 coon and lots and lots for squirrel.

I really appreciate the replies on this topic. I have had little experiece hunting varmints with the 22 WRM except for prairie dogs in the Dakotas.

The fast and light hollow points really opened them up but I can see that for more substantial varmints a heavier bullet is desired.

Well if you're new to the 22wmr you're gonna love it. I have two and its the perfect cartridge for close in, bigger than squirrel work.
Really kills better than it should. I'll never be with out 1 or 2

Originally Posted By: getfoxyWell if you're new to the 22wmr you're gonna love it. I have two and its the perfect cartridge for close in, bigger than squirrel work.
Really kills better than it should. I'll never be with out 1 or 2 You got tht right. Once you find your go to load you'll love em. And also thnk for yr info.

Last edited:
Back