Muzzle break and accuracy?

Yeah, Karl experimented with several different styles of brakes. He made them all himself. Not sure if he has ever arrived at using/making only one type or not........

No I agree if your shooting close to each other that should be common curtiousness. But that goes with common sense I suppose. I normally shoot by myself or one or two others. That's why I'm leaning towards a break and not magna porting. A guy cracked of a 6.5-284 in the next stall to me and I wanted to stab him lol

Originally Posted By: willy1947Originally Posted By: 2muchgunBrakes suck.........

+1 If they were any good the benchrest shooters would have them.

Yeah because we all look up to benchrest shooters huh? I mean they are the best shooters in the world right?
rolleyes.gif

They don't use sound suppressors either does that make them not good?

After seeing all the crying.. oh I mean talk about brakes in this thread.... I now have the urge to put a brake on all my rifles for some reason!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: dmpowderOriginally Posted By: willy1947Originally Posted By: 2muchgunBrakes suck.........

+1 If they were any good the benchrest shooters would have them.

Yeah because we all look up to benchrest shooters huh? I mean they are the best shooters in the world right?
rolleyes.gif

They don't use sound suppressors either does that make them not good?

After seeing all the crying.. oh I mean talk about brakes in this thread.... I now have the urge to put a brake on all my rifles for some reason!
thumbup.gif

I have a break on my AR-50, 50-BMG...

Now, THAT'S a break!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: CAFROriginally Posted By: Evil_LurkerIf you start turning down and threading the end of your barrel, you're taking a risk of changing your accuracy. There's always some residual stress left in the barrel steel, and it's going to change diameter slightly, especailly if it's a tapered barrel.

That's usually not good right at the muzzle.

What a load.....

Yup.

What a load...

Hey Evil...

Dude!! You need to spend some time on a lathe before you make this poopie up - I spent 7 years as a working 'smith and NEVER had a barrel change do to turning (or anything else).

The irony.

I'll just leave this here, it's from Lilja:

Stress in steel will tend to come out when the steel is either heated or machined. The heating of a barrel through firing it is often enough to allow some stress movement to occur. In effect what happens is the barrel warps and is no longer "looking" where we thought it was. The bullets don't hit the target where they were intended. If a bar of steel is machined while it contains stress, it will move. This can be noticed in an increase in bore and groove diameters as the outside diameter is reduced. This can mean an increase of these diameters as a barrel is contoured smaller in diameter towards the muzzle. Or an enlargement in the internal dimensions under the flutes of a fluted barrel.

Lilja barrel accuracy

Originally Posted By: pahntr760So, all those guys that have muzzle brakes installed are carrying around an over stressed namely with changed diameters?

I guess so - you heard it here first - now he has to let the rest of the world know
lol.gif

hmm good reason not to use a muzzle break!!!!!

Just man up and jump right in behind that .338 Lapua Mag at the bench. Grip tight, grimance and touch that baby off. No stress, it will only hurt for second unless you crowd the scope it might leave a mark.

All kidding aside from my experience the only time I really notice recoil is at the bench. I tamed that with a bag of lead shot. When Im shooting at game I can't remember feeling much recoil. Even shooting prone, sitting, kneeling and off hand at targets isn't to bad with my 300 RUM if I don't shoot more than 5 or 10 rounds in a practice session. But I have survived 50 and 100 rounds of 12 gauge slugs to qualify in a day so maybe I have become a little numb to recoil.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: pahntr760So, all those guys that have muzzle brakes installed are carrying around an over stressed namely with changed diameters?

I guess so - you heard it here first - now he has to let the rest of the world know
lol.gif

Mayby they have some magic dust or something to combat the stress and contour changes...

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: JerrySchmittIn Bench Rest, you're shooting a very heavy rifle with a 6MM PPC cartridge. No recoil to matter much and they disturb the guy shooting next to you.

If I'm doing any kind of serious shooting, and some douche nozzle with a brake sits down next to me I generally want to strangle him on the spot.

We had a guy with a braked .308 come to one of our 600 yard prone matches. I didn't know the guy and wasn't really paying much attention to him until he touched one off and grass/dirt flew in my face
mad.gif

Nobody would shoot next to him, and he pretty much screwed up our whole match. He had to shoot separately after everyone else was done. Meaning he held up 23 other guys. Brakes do not belong in matches of any kind IMO........

Maybe you're shooting in the wrong matches. I think they have matches for women only..... Just sayin'

Back