Predator of a different sort...

yotecatslayer34

Decided to do some callin at my favorite cat spot yesterday mornin' after work. Two hours into it with nothing showing I get the urge to do some poking around and find this guy ..

Please be careful out there and Watch your step ! Didnt give any warning, movement, rattle... Dead silent
unsure.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not really what I wanted but it will help with some gas money though !

Last edited:
Yeah it was a pretty nice one with the dark pattern and such. Sold it to my Taxi so he can do a full body mount on it! lol Saved a bit on my bobcat in the process, no complaints here.

Looks like the mojo puppy took care of him. That's a big one we don't get em that big round here but I've run into a few myself

Haha, it took care of him alright ! Yeah it was a healthy one no doubt, Im sure you could find something close if ya looked around long enough- Be careful !

Originally Posted By: BrownieLooks like the mojo puppy took care of him. That's a big one we don't get em that big round here but I've run into a few myself

I believe what y'all have are predominantly NorPac's (Northern Pacific). Had more than a dozen of them at one time. Noisy little buggers, the room would erupt with buzzing the second the door would open.

Chupa

They are noisy little buggErs chupa especially when ya jump on top of their den. I would like the big ones so i could at least get a little more meat off them when I do run into them.

Haha , Ive heard they are pretty noisy too. Can they compare in being dangerous / toxic though? Or does the Western reign supreme?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yotecatslayer34 Haha , Ive heard they are pretty noisy too. Can they compare in being dangerous / toxic though? Or does the Western reign supreme?

As far as rattlesnakes that are in North America, the Mojave is the most toxic on average. It is both "Hemotoxic" and "Neurotoxic". Toxicity can vary widely even among individuals of the same species. There was a study done more than a decade ago(maybe 2) where western diamondbacks caught on neighboring hillsides were milked and the venom was analyzed for toxicity. The results were VERY surprising, snakes caught on hillside "A" were found to have venom almost 4 times as toxic as snakes caught on hillside "B". Diet plays a huge role in toxicity of venom. Venom is nothing more than a cocktail of protiens and enzymes produced from various organs in the snakes body. Individually they are harmless, but when mixed....very potent in some cases.

Chupa

I didn't realize any rattlesnakes could be neurotoxic, too.
blink.gif
Our eastern diamondbacks are bad enough. We don't have them right here, except one here and there. About fifteen miles away, though there are a lot of them. One of my cousins used to always hunt them when I was growing up. He always saved their rattles. I'm not sure why we didn't ever get an established population where I am.

Back