Lightweight AR-15 Calling Rifle Build Suggestions

scotts94_z28

Looking to build a lightwegiht AR-15 223 calling rifle. Would like for the rifle to be at or under 7.5-lbs all up so I figure 6-lbs for just the rifle. I've had a couple R-15 carbines in the past and like the look and feel but they ended up a about 1-lb to heavy. Anyone built something similair to what I'm looking for?

I would like to find a take off 18" R-15 223 barrel to use as I like the length and contour. Will probably use a forged lower and upper without F/A. Trigger will be a timney 3-lb with a standard lpk. What I am stuck on is a lightweight free float handguard (12" prefered) and stock setup. Looking for suggestions on these parts as well as if my goal of a 6-lb rifle is realistic?

I had total forgotten about the skeleton stock. I'm in NY so that would be perfect as I can't have an adjustable stock anyway. Would also be open to barrel suggestions if an R-15 take off is hard to find. Would prefer and 18" lightweight barrel without threads.

Originally Posted By: scotts94_z28Looking to build a lightwegiht AR-15 223 calling rifle. Would like for the rifle to be at or under 7.5-lbs all up so I figure 6-lbs for just the rifle. I've had a couple R-15 carbines in the past and like the look and feel but they ended up a about 1-lb to heavy. Anyone built something similair to what I'm looking for?

I would like to find a take off 18" R-15 223 barrel to use as I like the length and contour. Will probably use a forged lower and upper without F/A. Trigger will be a timney 3-lb with a standard lpk. What I am stuck on is a lightweight free float handguard (12" prefered) and stock setup. Looking for suggestions on these parts as well as if my goal of a 6-lb rifle is realistic?

This was my answer to my quest:
DSCN1163-1.jpg

I can understand wanting a carbine length AR to hunt with, you just can't beat 'em for toting around. But I'm not overly concerned about the overall weight being unbearable.
Sure, I like a rifle to be light to carry, but I've found that too going light on a short rifle tends to make it 'squirrely' on the shooting stix. So, I like a bit of extra overall mass to help keep steady on target when shooting off stix, from a treestand, or what have you.
For reference, my DTECH 6x45
43lbmalered009.jpg

16" Hbar profile tube, fluted under the handguard & DTECH Compensator on the end, Hogue carbine handguard & ACE stock. Even with an NXS on top, it's 7.6 lbs. with a full 5rder, and I wouldn't want it an ounce lighter.

Just something to to kick around. Any excuse to get a new rifle is a fine by me
smile.gif
Good luck!

You will come close. I did almost the exact same thing. Put a 18" R15 takeoff barrel in .223 on a Cav Arms lower, Timney skelelton 3# trigger, and a Clarks Custom carbon fiber handguard. IIRC, it was 6-6.5# sans scope and rings, a hair over 7# with rings and a 1.5-6 x 28 Burris with Illuminated dot scope.

Originally Posted By: cmatera You will come close. I did almost the exact same thing. Put a 18" R15 takeoff barrel in .223 on a Cav Arms lower, Timney skelelton 3# trigger, and a Clarks Custom carbon fiber handguard. IIRC, it was 6-6.5# sans scope and rings, a hair over 7# with rings and a 1.5-6 x 28 Burris with Illuminated dot scope.

I sold a Cav Arms with a Timney trigger, did you buy it from me?

Originally Posted By: knockemdownI can understand wanting a carbine length AR to hunt with, you just can't beat 'em for toting around. But I'm not overly concerned about the overall weight being unbearable.
Sure, I like a rifle to be light to carry, but I've found that too going light on a short rifle tends to make it 'squirrely' on the shooting stix. So, I like a bit of extra overall mass to help keep steady on target when shooting off stix, from a treestand, or what have you.
For reference, my DTECH 6x45
43lbmalered009.jpg

16" Hbar profile tube, fluted under the handguard & DTECH Compensator on the end, Hogue carbine handguard & ACE stock. Even with an NXS on top, it's 7.6 lbs. with a full 5rder, and I wouldn't want it an ounce lighter.

Just something to to kick around. Any excuse to get a new rifle is a fine by me
smile.gif
Good luck!

7.5-lbs all up is exactly what I am looking for. I said 6-lb rifle as I figure optics, mount, sling and loaded magazine will make up the other 1.5-lbs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shankboneOriginally Posted By: Terry N.Check Brownells for carbon fiber handguards; one of the two stocks listed below are about as light as you can get for an AR-15.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=54561/Product/AR15-ULTRA-LIGHTWEIGHT-HANDGUARD

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24960/Product/M4-SOCOM-STOCK

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16910/Product/AR-15-ARFX-SKELETON-STOCK

Terry, that first one is for a blowback, like 9mm or .22

Try this one. Brownells used to carry it; dunno if they still do: http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/clk750.htm

My light weight was built on an Colt AR Carbine. It resulted in a light gun but took me a while to get used to. I was used to a heavier bolt gun. Missed a few in the beginning but it's drawn blood several times since. Pretty nice for an old fart when walking a ways in heavy snow. Which we never had last year.

Originally Posted By: scotts94_z28Originally Posted By: scottmilk9there are lots of options, here is one of my Lightweight rigs i offer:
http://www.specializeddynamics.com/node/7

That rifle looks to be about what I'm looking for. Any idea what it would weight with an 18" 223 barrel? Also what kind of wait would I be looking at from order till delivery?

I am wondering the same.

Using the following specs:

18" pencil barrel
New Frontier lower
Carbon Fiber forearm
Magpul 10 round clip w/5 rounds
Magpul CTR stock
Aimpoint Micro Dot

Will weight in @ 5.50 lbs (loaded)

add 8-10 oz more for a regular mil spec lower

FYI- It will be cheaper to built what you want upfront instead of settling.

PS: I have a 18" SPR upper Scott built for me a year ago and it can out shoot me. With a plumb crazy lower, CTR, 3-9x40 Accuoint scope, DNZ Freedom Rep cat (5oz)mount,and a magpul clip with 5 rounds weighs 8.25 lbs

Last edited:
With the current barrels Scott has for sale, it should be right around 7 lbs. I just ordered one of his 18" fluted and threaded 5.56 barrels and the barrel is just under 2 lbs. It looks SWEET! I'm actually fondling it as we speak...
blushing.gif

Just spoke with Scott and it would be just under 7lbs.

Back