Ran out of adjustment

dpollard

I recently removed my hunting rifle scope (Burris Fullfield II) to put on another gun, then decided to buy another scope so I put my Burris back on my hunting rifle.

This morning I went to the range to get it sighted in and I ran out of windage adjustment. I have had this scope on this rifle before with no problems. What is causing this and how can I fix it?

Is that referring to turning it all the way one way and counting the clicks then turning back the other way for 1/2 the # of clicks?

If so, no. Just recently learned about that. Do you think that might help?

Originally Posted By: dpollardI recently removed my hunting rifle scope (Burris Fullfield II) to put on another gun, then decided to buy another scope so I put my Burris back on my hunting rifle.

This morning I went to the range to get it sighted in and I ran out of windage adjustment. I have had this scope on this rifle before with no problems. What is causing this and how can I fix it?

What kind of base is on the rifle? Leupold "Standard"??

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: dpollardI recently removed my hunting rifle scope (Burris Fullfield II) to put on another gun, then decided to buy another scope so I put my Burris back on my hunting rifle.

Not sure what the bases are. Would that make a difference? It seems to me it worked before it should work again. However, I am still new to this so I have a lot to learn.

Originally Posted By: dpollardOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: dpollardI recently removed my hunting rifle scope (Burris Fullfield II) to put on another gun, then decided to buy another scope so I put my Burris back on my hunting rifle.

Not sure what the bases are. Would that make a difference? It seems to me it worked before it should work again. However, I am still new to this so I have a lot to learn.

Some bases have very course windage adjustments in them - they are the screws that hold the rear rings in place - you remove the scope and you loose the adjustment - sometimes so much so that you don't have any windage left in the scope anymore.

If the rear base has screws on each side, then that is the kind of base you have (they suck!!). If you have this kind of base, then center the windage adjustment on the scope, and then use the screws to adjust the point of impact on the target, and lock the screws - then use the scope o fine tune the zero...

... or you can get some good scope mounts and do it right, once and for all.

Originally Posted By: dpollardIs that referring to turning it all the way one way and counting the clicks then turning back the other way for 1/2 the # of clicks?

If so, no. Just recently learned about that. Do you think that might help?

I would do that first, yes. And also make sure bases/rings are tight.

171.jpg

If your scope windage or elevation is all the way in one direction, it'll limit the other adjustment due to being not "centered" inside the tube, if that makes sense.

Center your ret in the scope and adjust with the screws on the base to get it as close as you can then use scope adjustments last. Catshooter is on it..
smile.gif

So I just loosen those screws in the back? Do they work like a turret where I just move it one way or the other and it moves the whole base?

yes that is how those bases work,if you did not make sure you had the screws turned back to the same place as when you took the scope off that is your whole problem.i would center the scope [windage] then take the bolt out put your rifle in something that will hold it steady, center the bore on a target then turn the screws until the crosshairs are centered on the same target.

Those appear to be leupold mounts. I got rid of mine for the non adjustable leupold mounts and never looked back.

Originally Posted By: dpollardHere is the scope with the rings and bases

P1020056.jpg

Dang .. A lefty !

Those rings /bases are a good way to induce ring marks,if not set up properly.

Originally Posted By: Mark2Those appear to be leupold mounts. I got rid of mine for the non adjustable leupold mounts and never looked back.

If I got the non adjustable ones, wouldn't that not allow me to fix my current problem?

Originally Posted By: dpollardOriginally Posted By: Mark2Those appear to be leupold mounts. I got rid of mine for the non adjustable leupold mounts and never looked back.

If I got the non adjustable ones, wouldn't that not allow me to fix my current problem?

* Did you take the rings off when you pulled the scope, or just the top ring half ?
* If you had the complete ring off, you may have set it back up wrong.

Originally Posted By: dpollardOriginally Posted By: Mark2Those appear to be leupold mounts. I got rid of mine for the non adjustable leupold mounts and never looked back.

If you got non-adjustable, there shouldn't be a problem.

What is happening here is the two screws on the back did not center the mount to the bore. Unless you measure and re-check to ensure the ring is centered to the base and the base to the bore, the issue will exist!

Now, provided the reciever was drilled and tapped correctly, there should be no reason that it wouldn't be centered with the non-adjustable mounts.

Here's the problem...

Back in the dark ages of scopes, the reticle was not "self centering". So you mounted a scope and when you moved the cross hairs to the left - they were on the left side of the field. If you moved them up, they were in the top of the field.

Plus, to make it worse, many rifles were not drilled and tapped for scope mounts... so gunsmiths made a lot of money drilling and tapping Springfields and Mausers and putting scopes on them.... and sometimes, they did less than a stellar job of aligning the bases!

Now, users didn't mind if the cross hairs were high or low in the field, but they hated it when they hairs were over on one side.

Plus, the gunsmiths didn't always get it right when they drilled the receivers, so some way was needed to get the left/right thing fixed.

So Redfield, and then Leupold, came out with mounts that allowed a LOT of left/right adjustment so the scopes of the day could be centered..

Then, scopes were developed with self centered reticles, but by now, so many people were used to this type of mount that they kept ordering it because their father had one, or they had one on an old rifle, and assumed that it was good.

In the 60's, the military was using these mounts on M-40 Sniper rifles, and they were soooooo bad, that they had to weld the two rear screws to the base so they wouldn't loose zero.

Not to beat up on your scope mount, but it is the very worst mount in use today. There are simpler and better mounts available.

One of the best set-ups is the Weaver "Cross slot" base, with any of the ring sets that will fit the cross slot base.

It doesn't have to be made by Weaver - in fact Weaver invented it, but they don't make a good set.

The best are the Warne steel cross slot bases and the Leupold QRW bases... both are small, light, and slicker than owl poop.

The rings can be Leupold QRW, Warne, or the best choice - the Burris "Signature Zee" rings. These bases are NEVER off center so they never need lots of left/right adjustment.

CatShooter, Thank you very much. I don't feel beat up. The fact of the matter is the rifle is one of the first in the 700 series made by Remington so it's VERY old so I'm not surprised about what you're saying about the bases, as they may be as old as the rifle.

I will look into getting a more modern set up like the ones you suggest.

Thanks again.

Back