,223 accuracy Loads

Atherisdoode

I just got back into reloading this year after a considerable hiatus. I sent a couple of list members private queries a few weeks ago regarding .223 reloading, but this was before I started purchasing more bullets and powder.

I have a pound of H4895 and a pound of varget. In terms of bullets, I already have some Hornady BTHP 52gr ( #2249 ), some Winchester 2253H 53gr, and recently purchased some Hornady 53gr v-max (#22265).

I worked out a [beeep] good accuracy load using the Winchester 2253H and 24.5 grs of IMR 4895, but only have approx. 80 bullets left. I was also sent H4895 by mistake when I orderes IMR 4895. The 2253H line appears to have gone the way of the dinosaurs. My rifle is a .223 savage model 11 fcns with a 1:9 twist.

Does anybody have accuracy loads using H4895/Varget Hornady BTHP 52gr / V-max 53gr they are willing to share?

I mite suggest working with 25gr to 26gr Varget with any bullet you mentioned.
A ton of data out there but you say you have Varget & that seems to work with a lot of guys here, including myself.
Be safe & good luck........

My rock rivers shoot the 52 grain sierra bthp match bullets very well with 25.4 grains of benchmark. I have found that benchmark works pretty darn good for most 223 rifles. Just my experience though.

Originally Posted By: dan brotherstake a look at Hodgdons site...

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

I've actually printed all of that. The main issue I have is that they don't seem to cover the specific Hornady bullets I have ( not that it matters very much ). I'm accumulating data and studying it. Forums such as these tend to include a wealth of personal experience. I add the interesting posts to a document file which I intend to print up and add to a reloading binder I started. My reloading guru has a multitude of reloading manuals, Ken Waters,etc... but I suspect many of them are outdated.

The next time you buy powder, if they carry it in your area, look at the Ramshot TAC...For years I used Winchester 748 as it was reportedly originally developed for the AR platform and had great success with it in almost all bullet weights and in my bolt actions as well..

Due to a temporary shortage locally, I tried the Ramshot line and found it to be very comparable, not only less expensive, but burned cleaner and metered better for volume dispensing.. It has a little slower burn rate than H4895 that I find seems to work better for heavier (50gr+) bullets..

Originally Posted By: Bob Tobergte I mite suggest working with 25gr to 26gr Varget with any bullet you mentioned.
A ton of data out there but you say you have Varget & that seems to work with a lot of guys here, including myself.
Be safe & good luck........

thumbup.gif

I have been loading the .223 for many years and for several different guns and for my kind of shooting which is mostly ground squirrels and prairie dogs, nothing beats 26 grains of Varget and a Ballistic Tip or Vmax bullet in the 50 grain weight. Varget also seems to be the powder of choice for my .17 Remington so I buy Varget by the 8 lb jug.

I have tried lots of other powders, Benchmark, IMR 8208, BLC-2, X-Terminator, etc. but always come back to Varget. I think that I will just have to pull up a chair and stay a while.

IMR-4895 and H-4895 are not interchangeable, but they are very close in burn. H-4895 being just a "skosh" faster. Givin what you have to work with, I would start at about 25.0gr H-4895 and top it with the 53gr V-Max. With a B.C of .290 those bullets will fly and are a most excellent varmint/target bullet. 4895 will push 'em along just fine.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessIMR-4895 and H-4895 are not interchangeable, but they are very close in burn. H-4895 being just a "skosh" faster. Givin what you have to work with, I would start at about 25.0gr H-4895 and top it with the 53gr V-Max. With a B.C of .290 those bullets will fly and are a most excellent varmint/target bullet. 4895 will push 'em along just fine.

That's the exact load I was using with IMR. When I erroneously received the H4895, the first thing I did was consult the burn chart and whine when I saw they were not identical. I'm assuming the interchaneability really goes out the window when approaching max loads. I also tried 25 grs win 748 with 52gr Sierra HPBT. My savage hated that particular combo.

Originally Posted By: AtherisdoodeOriginally Posted By: dan brotherstake a look at Hodgdons site...

I've actually printed all of that. The main issue I have is that they don't seem to cover the specific Hornady bullets I have ( not that it matters very much ). I'm accumulating data and studying it. Forums such as these tend to include a wealth of personal experience. I add the interesting posts to a document file which I intend to print up and add to a reloading binder I started. My reloading guru has a multitude of reloading manuals, Ken Waters,etc... but I suspect many of them are outdated.

Just buy the new Hornady manual like I did. You can go to the Hornady website and see loading info for free.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessIMR-4895 and H-4895 are not interchangeable, but they are very close in burn. H-4895 being just a "skosh" faster. Givin what you have to work with, I would start at about 25.0gr H-4895 and top it with the 53gr V-Max. With a B.C of .290 those bullets will fly and are a most excellent varmint/target bullet. 4895 will push 'em along just fine.

I do have a question regarding semantics. I noticed some people seem to use the term "interchangeable" to mean mixed, whereas others use it to entail "substitution." In other words, I saw one question posed on a forum asking whether the 4895's were interchangeable. One response stated the two powders could not be combined or mixed, whereas others stated load weights were not compatible. Which is it?

Originally Posted By: willy1947Originally Posted By: AtherisdoodeOriginally Posted By: dan brotherstake a look at Hodgdons site...

Just buy the new Hornady manual like I did. You can go to the Hornady website and see loading info for free.

I had already checked out the hornady site and found no load recipes per se. I figured this was do to the fact that they wanted to sell the reloading manual, which I intend to buy ( it wasn't in stock in the store where I buy my reloading components, but will be eventually ). Did I miss something?

A simple phone call or email to Hornady and they will be more the happy to give you the info you seek! They are a very friendly company that actually listen to their customers!

A little heads! Stop goofing around and go get either 8208xbr or some Benchmark and be done with looking for a load!

Originally Posted By: dmpowder

"... and go get either 8208xbr or some Benchmark and be done with looking for a load!

What he said!!

Originally Posted By: AtherisdoodeOriginally Posted By: SmokelessIMR-4895 and H-4895 are not interchangeable, but they are very close in burn. H-4895 being just a "skosh" faster. Givin what you have to work with, I would start at about 25.0gr H-4895 and top it with the 53gr V-Max. With a B.C of .290 those bullets will fly and are a most excellent varmint/target bullet. 4895 will push 'em along just fine.

I do have a question regarding semantics. I noticed some people seem to use the term "interchangeable" to mean mixed, whereas others use it to entail "substitution." In other words, I saw one question posed on a forum asking whether the 4895's were interchangeable. One response stated the two powders could not be combined or mixed, whereas others stated load weights were not compatible. Which is it?

Both. Don't mix them, and do not substitute one for the other without re-consulting load data.

Originally Posted By: dmpowderA simple phone call or email to Hornady and they will be more the happy to give you the info you seek! They are a very friendly company that actually listen to their customers!

A little heads! Stop goofing around and go get either 8208xbr or some Benchmark and be done with looking for a load!

I have very few options in terms of powder availability. I have to get powder from out-of-town and normally have to do so in person since very few courriers, including Canada post, will accept gun powder. I can get benchmark and will do so the next time I make a shopping run in Montreal. The latest test run with Hornady v-max 53gr and 25grs of varget didn't seem to group very well.

I assume the hornady reloading manual only covers hornady bullets - or do they run the gamut of bullet types and include other bullet brands?

Originally Posted By: Atherisdoode
I assume the hornady reloading manual only covers hornady bullets - or do they run the gamut of bullet types and include other bullet brands?

Yes they only have their bullets listed. Again if you email any company asking for load data for one of their bullets they will usually send you all the data they have for that caliber.

Also I know the 52-53's are the rage right now because of the higher BC's but unless your shooting 500+ yards they mean nothing! Stick to the 55's I love Hornady products to death but in my 1-9 AR the Nosler BT shoots better then the Vmax.

Just a question why is this posted in the firearm section and not the reloading section?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: dmpowder
Atherisdoode said:
Just a question why is this posted in the firearm section and not the reloading section?
confused.gif

Ummmm....because:

1) I did a search on the forum for accuracy loads before signing up and found info on .223 and .220 swift in the firearms section, got excited, and stuck to that section to pose my questions.

2) I neglected to click on the homepage link, where I would have noticed all the sub-divisions, including the reloading section.

It was a combined effort of forum noobiness and involuntary laziness. Mea Culpa.

Back