223 / 556 Suggested Bullets??

I tried numerous rounds. I settled on the basic Hornadt 55 gr sp. I have hot had any problems, easy to find ammo. I have used them on small Tx white tails, javelina, coyotes and wild hogs. Simply put, I shoot they drop.

Your required round depends on the animal and shot placement. To say there is one round that is universal would be wholly wrong. I am one of the weird ones that feels if you have a 5.56 barrel, then your optimum round would be in that caliber. If it is a .223 barrel, then that ammo would be best.

I think the most well rounded bullets are the Hornady 55gr and the Z-Max.

I've got a 20" 1:8 twist Noveske that I've put many different rounds (factory) through in the past month. Mine likes Fiocchi .223 40 grain VMax best (under 1/2 inch groups at 100 yrds) best and the Federal 5.56 M855 62 grain green tip second best (under 1 inch groups at 100 yrds) second best. So I load up the 40 grn on still days and the 62 if it's windy. Both of these are much more affordable than some of the higher end loads, and as far as I'm concerned, for a coyote/fox/bobcat target, if you hit where your aiming, it doesn't really matter what bullet weight you're shooting.

You'll have to trial and error a number of rounds as I've never seen a rifle that doesn't prefer one round over another.

For factory loads try Black Hills or Fiocci. For handloads I have used more Hornady 55 grain bullets that anything else. The Hornady 55s are available from Midsouth as their Varmint Nightmare for about $42/500 bullets.

Back