Reloading benches?

my7pointmonster

I'm looking to start reloading I have just shy of everything I'll need but now i'm looking for Ideas. If you could, post some pictures of your reloading benches so I can pull ideas that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Ryan.

If you don't want to use the search function then just go back a couple of pages there is atleast one thread already. Not trying to be jerks but every few weeks this will come up.

Originally Posted By: deaddogwalkinIf you don't want to use the search function then just go back a couple of pages there is atleast one thread already. Not trying to be jerks but every few weeks this will come up.

Nah I don't offend easy, I just joined up, haven't browsed back any pages on anything since I wasn't involved on any posts is all, I appreciate the input and help don't worry.

Ryan.

Originally Posted By: WebopperHere ya go...

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...552#Post2239552

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...5096&page=1

That should give you a couple good starts anyway...

Welcome to the forums.

That helped a lot thanks!

Ryan.

Ryan welcome to the board. I googled reloading benches several years back and found a really easy one to build. Will try and take a picture of it tonight but only took about 7 2x4's and a couple sheets of plywood. Rick

Originally Posted By: rickybRyan welcome to the board. I googled reloading benches several years back and found a really easy one to build. Will try and take a picture of it tonight but only took about 7 2x4's and a couple sheets of plywood. Rick

I just measured out the spot that I want to put mine at, It'll be an "L" shape that much I know for sure, but where I go from there with it is anyones guess really.

Hope to see the pictures.

Ryan.

I was "allowed" about a 6 foot long area in the garage to build mine. The wife was so kind. I just looked at a bunch of benches on the web, but in the end I just started building the bench and kind of built as I went since I knew how I wanted everything set up. The main advice I would give is to make it rock solid. Just to give you an idea of how solid mine is, the wife told the kids that in case we ever have a tornado for everyone to go crawl under my reloading bench! I will go get some pics in a bit and post them up for ya. Mine is just a simple set up, but it does what I need and has just enough room. I think that you can look at thousands of benches, but in the end you know how much space you can use for it and only you know exactly how you want everything set up so all of your personal preferences and limited, or unlimited, space will determine how it will be built. Just my thoughts.

Okay, here is a picture of my bench.

100_0588.jpg

Best bang for the but in a bench is a old clothes dresser just bolt press on top & go to work cost under 50 bucks. I store all the components in the drawers. out of sight and dust free.

Well, finally unpacking all my crap, and got a section of countertop from the salvage place for the top. The piece is 5' long and 3' deep, but at least it means I have room for the shelf units back there on the back and I still have room for the presses. I also have a crappy table I can use for other stuff, like gun cleaning, etc...

I will get a pic up here after I finish with the sorting through all these boxes (I still have a lot to unpack from the Florida move, stuff has not seen daylight in several years, and unfortunately, I am seeing a little rust here and there... Ewwww... Here is to hoping my dies had enough oil on them...

In any case, I found my 3 lb keg of Red Dot (man, that is an old can!) plus about 4 lbs Bullseye and a couple cans of IMR assorteds for rifles, so I should be good soon. I also just located the brass tumbler and spare tub, my RCBS and Lee scales, and a couple powder dispensers. My trickler should be in here some place... Just found a garbage bag of bungee cords (???) and several bags of shotgun wads. Kool! Now if I can find the shotshell press...

I personally can not stand a flimsy/wobbly interface between my bench and press. In my current reloading room, I laminated together 4 layers of 3/4" plywood. It is absolutley overkill, but soild as all get out. I can stack just about everything I own on it, sit on it, etc. My dad's bench when I was growing up and learning to reload had a pair of 2X12's butted up as the top. Flexed like crazy when full length sizing large caliber rifle. I vowed to not go that route again. With the lamintted plywood idea, I have seen guys build "inserts" for items that are not highly loaded so you can slide one out and the other in - for example a trimmer and a powder thrower. I fully intended to try this idea out when I built this bench, but then got antsy wanting to load and finished it up as a flat top.... If doing it again, I would laminate two layers of 3/4" A/C grade with a top layer of 3/4" hardwood plywood.

Last edited:
I am with crashdog the heavier the better. I had one of the 2' x 4' workbenches with two drawers under the top and peg board on back. I think it came from lowes. I took one sheet of 3/4" plywood. and cut it into 4 peices. The first two were about three inches shy of two foot long and the second two were 3" long. The first two went on bottom with the short side to the back and long ones on top so I would have overhang to the front to help the presses out. Ran deck screws thru them to hold them all together. It is not very big but very solid.

For those of you that build your own and live where you can not lag screw to a wall or floor. Extend the base rail out from the front of the bench about 6" It is all about points of leverage. My bench is fairly light but very stiff and solid I extended the bottom runner / rail out 6". When I am sizing the bench does not try and tip over in fact it doesn't move at all do to the extended runners / rails.

DAB

My current bench is the same as my 2nd to last bench. A heavy duty desk I bought about 15 years ago to use as an aquarium stand. My last bench was the base cabinets from my kitchen remodel. I'm getting ready to do another kitchen so I'll be repurposing those cabinets yet again into a reloading area. I don't have the storage area I did before, so good chance the old,desk will finally be put out To pasture.

Originally Posted By: DABFor those of you that build your own and live where you can not lag screw to a wall or floor. Extend the base rail out from the front of the bench about 6" It is all about points of leverage. My bench is fairly light but very stiff and solid I extended the bottom runner / rail out 6". When I am sizing the bench does not try and tip over in fact it doesn't move at all do to the extended runners / rails.

DAB

Or you can mount your press off the end so it's trying to lift it the long way. I've had pretty good results doing that, and there's nothing to trip over like your rail.

You need the clearence off the end to do that, and that may not be possible, depending on your available space.

DSCN0199.jpg

That bench isn't exactly "light weight", though.
scared.gif

Last edited:
Back