Need Help w/buttstock removal on Remington 11-87

BallisticBen

I need some help with a gunsmithing question. I bought a synthetic stock and fore-end for my Remington 11-87. I thought that the stock removal would be as easy as removing the stock on my 870. I was wrong. On the 11-87, the stock is not held on by a normal bolt with a flat screw head or a philips head. It looks as if it requires a speacial tool or even a socket. I don't want to run the risk of buggering up my thousand dollar shotgun. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance for your help.

The last time that I took the buttstock off of my old 11-87 duck gun, I had to use a Sawzall to cut enough of the stock off so that I could put a pipe wrench on the rusted nut.
lol.gif

That's not what I want to hear. I was hoping to keep the original butt stock so that I use it again. If anyone else has any other ideas, I open for suggestions. Thanks

Last edited:
I just had some work done by Remington on my old 11-87 but they sent it back with a new stock that was missing the original sling swivel. Remington will put one in for free (saving me the minimal cost of the piece and some gunsmith fees, which they should do) and has sent me a shipping label , but they want me to ship them back only the butt stock.

So, to get ready to do that, I took mine off today.

There should be two small holes in the recoil pad. Insert a long shank Phillips head and unscrew each, then remove the pad.

Then use a socket set (11/16")(you may have to use your extension shank)and just unscrew the nut. It should come out with a spacer and lock washer.

Here's the link to the 11-87 manual with the exploded parts diagram on p. 22 (note: the diagram is misleading, the lockwasher goes on first, then the spacer, then the nut):

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-11-87/model-11-87-sportsman-field.aspx

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted By: Nighthawk1I just had some work done by Remington on my old 11-87 but they sent it back with a new stock that was missing the original sling swivel. Remington will put one in for free (saving me the minimal cost of the piece and some gunsmith fees, which they should do) and has sent me a shipping label , but they want me to ship them back only the butt stock.

So, to get ready to do that, I took mine off today.

There should be two small holes in the recoil pad. Insert a long shank Phillips head and unscrew each, then remove the pad.

Then use a socket set (11/16")(you may have to use your extension shank)and just unscrew the nut. It should come out with a spacer and lock washer.

Here's the link to the 11-87 manual with the exploded parts diagram on p. 22 (note: the diagram is misleading, the lockwasher goes on first, then the spacer, then the nut):

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-11-87/model-11-87-sportsman-field.aspx

Hope that helps.

So Remington has replaced the slotted "Action Spring Tube Nut"
with a hex head nut? On both my Rem. 1100(circa 1966) and my
Rem. 11-87(circa 1990) this nut is a slotted screw head. My
recommendation for that style is: remove butt pad, per
previous instructions, clamp the butt stock in a heavily
padded vice, get the BIGGEST flat bladed screw driver the
hardware store stocks(preferably one that allows for some
wrench to be added for more torque), and start turning
counter clockwise. How long this part of the shotgun was
ignored, will be proportional to force and effort required
to loosen nut.