Can't give up

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
The summer heat of Arizona shows no sign of relenting. In spite of hunting on the surface of the sun, AZ Bushman and I keep at it. Bushman is a great partner, he doesn't want to give in till we have given it our all. Saturday we had the opportunity to take out a new predator hunter and give him the chance to experience what we all love. While it was not as hot as it has been, it was VERY humid, and the predators were not very responsive. We called 9 stands, and Bushman took a long shot at a coyote, made the hit, but we were unable to recover the coyote as it fell down into a crevasse. Our new hunter also ended up suffering from heat stroke. So while our day wasn't a total bust, it didn't end the way we wanted. We regrouped, talked over our strategy, and decided to head back out Sunday.

Today started off a lot better. The first stand saw a coyote come in, but it shied away, and moved out of our stand. We decided not to take a bad shot, so as I kept calling, Bushman began a long stalk. As he is stalking, and just about to throw a shot, a group of motorcycle riders spooked up another coyote, which spooked off the first. Drenched in sweat after having crawled several hundred yards across open ground for a chance at a shot, Bushman and I were actually upbeat.

Second stand was a bust, but the third saw a fox drop down out of the rocks, only to turn around as we were changing calls. We were seeing animals, but they were not behaving in a normal manner. They were curious, but were not coming in hard. Undaunted we moved on. Fourth stand was a blank. We moved on into a canyon for our fifth stand. As we were stalking in, Bushman drops back and tells me that we had spooked something up out of the canyon. It was fairly large as it made quite a bit of noise. We decided to try a little different calling strategy, so we set up, with Bushman looking along the canyon, while I was guarding the backdoor behind him. I triggered grey fox distress on my FoxPro Scorpion, and began scanning the hillside in front of me. On my first sweep left to right, I spot a face peering down at me from net to a bush. A look through the scope confirmed that a cat was looking down at the call, and has now seen my movement behind the rifle. The cat had a large head, so much so that I wasn't sure if I was looking at a bobcat or possibly a mountain lion cub or juvenile, neither of which I would shoot. I examined the cat and saw the pointy ears, dropped the crosshairs to it's chest and fired the shot. It back flipped in a cloud of dust. I looked down to turn off the caller, and saw the timer sitting at 23 seconds. I kept eyes on the area, while Bushman climbed up to retrieve it. The 53gr Hornady HP, fired from my Specialized Dynamics 16in .223 flat top AR-15, had done the job. In fact it might have been a little too good. The 53gr proved to be pretty tough on the fur, making a small entry and a HUGE exit. The fur will be salvageable for a wall hanger, but not for selling it, or mounting it.

Aug19th001.jpg

The cat was a little thin, probably from a lack of food, but it was still a large cat, so I had to get a little creative for the hike out. A few years back fw707 had made me a beautiful lanyard for my hand calls, so after a few minutes, and some good ole boy scout knot skills I was able to truss up the cat. Bushman loved the idea so much that he named it a "furse". Half cat, half purse. Look for one in a store near you.

Aug19th005.jpg

Bottom line, when things are rough, you gotta keep at it until things turn. We all have dry spells, but a day like today makes the rough days that much better.

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good hunt! Nice looking cat, too, even if he is a little undernourished. I'm sure your desert food chain isn't as fulfilling as our forests up here in the heatwave you're having this year.

Yeah it has been very hot, but we have still had success. We have had to use some different calls, and call some odd areas, but it is paying off. This makes cat #4 on the season, which started for us on the first of the month for foxes and bobcats. We have been working coyotes since the end of our last fox/bobcat season, this was really the first that we focused on the cats.

I was really shocked at how fast it popped up. We were even thinking that it might have just been up there watching us get set up, since it was there so fast, and I didn't see it move.

That cat was looking for a 350 lb snack! Good thing you shot him before he got an angle on you.

Next time try to shoot those cats in an easier to access location, that is twice now that I have had to crawl up jagged rocks that are possibly holding snakes and pissed off, wounded Bobcats.

Originally Posted By: Arizona BushmanThat cat was looking for a 350 lb snack! Good thing you shot him before he got an angle on you.

Next time try to shoot those cats in an easier to access location, that is twice now that I have had to crawl up jagged rocks that are possibly holding snakes and pissed off, wounded Bobcats.

Everytime we go into those areas I think of that, since that rattler almost tagged me 3 weeks ago.

If we could just figure out how to call them into the house, then we could shoot them without leaving the comfort of our couch and A/C.

How come it's not as easy as all those hunting DVD's? They call for a minute, BANG, predator drops, then, POOF!!! they are standing right next to it. I don't see them struggling with rocks, snakes, cactus, angry liberal PETA-lovers, etc.........

Nice pics with an even better story ! Congrats guys, hearing something like this keeps me going as well- Never give up !
thumbup.gif
Patience is a virtue

Might be a thin cat but the spots arent bad at all for summer, good rug perhaps ..

Last edited:
The truck is silver, which hides a lot of stuff. If you get up closer you can see the Arizona pinstripping that is touched up every weekend. My truck is worked hard, and shows the scars. That pic was taken following a rain storm, and we have the sun facing us. Our trucks get a lot dirtier in the winter, when we encounter mud, but this time of year it is dust.

coyote hunting doesnt feel right when its above 50 degrees.. I dont think I could live down there. ill enjoy my -30 temps. and 5 feet of snow

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMo Our new hunter also ended up suffering from heat stroke. So while our day wasn't a total bust, it didn't end the way we wanted. We regrouped, talked over our strategy, and decided to head back out Sunday.

Trample the weak and hurdle the dead!
I like it!

You guys make me feel like a sissy while I wait for the temp to go down.....

Originally Posted By: fw707Great story Mo!!
thumbup1.gif

I love the way you improvised the "furse" toter!
thumbup.gif

Hey, with a good quality piece of equipment, there are no limits. Could be something there for you to develop.

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Originally Posted By: SnowmanMo Our new hunter also ended up suffering from heat stroke. So while our day wasn't a total bust, it didn't end the way we wanted. We regrouped, talked over our strategy, and decided to head back out Sunday.

I like it!

Takes just as much to stand sub-zero temps on a stand, so you got nothing to worry about. I lived in Maine, I know what those are like. Just as bad as a 118 deg day.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Originally Posted By: SnowmanMo Our new hunter also ended up suffering from heat stroke. So while our day wasn't a total bust, it didn't end the way we wanted. We regrouped, talked over our strategy, and decided to head back out Sunday.

I like it!

Takes just as much to stand sub-zero temps on a stand, so you got nothing to worry about. I lived in Maine, I know what those are like. Just as bad as a 118 deg day.

I grew up south of Yuma right on the border. I'll always love that state. We've still have some old Arizona Highways magazines I like to dig out and look at.

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Originally Posted By: SnowmanMo Our new hunter also ended up suffering from heat stroke. So while our day wasn't a total bust, it didn't end the way we wanted. We regrouped, talked over our strategy, and decided to head back out Sunday.

I like it!

I grew up south of Yuma right on the border. I'll always love that state. We've still have some old Arizona Highways magazines I like to dig out and look at.

The desert does have a strange attraction. I grew up most of my life in Washington, came to AZ for college, hunted while I was in college since I was a starving student, and ammo was cheap back then. When I went back to Washington I found that the draconian gun and hunting laws were a big turn off. When I moved to Arizona 12 years ago, I had given up hunting all together. got back into it to teach my daughter, and got turned onto predator hunting 7 years ago by a friend. now I love the desert, can't get enough. but I have to admit, when it rains, you will still find me out in it, homesick for those wet, Washington days.

Back