Question...Does Winchester make a model 70 in 300 Weatherby...

peterjc

Does Winchester make a Model 70 XTR in 300 Weatherby Magnum ???
I can't believe there is afactory rifle by Winchester like that. However that being said, a buddy sent me a picture of his rifle and it has on the barrel "Winchester Model 70 XTR 300 Weatherby Magnum".....I told him it must be somebody made it custon and rechambered it to 300 Weatherby Mag. cartridge.
Somebody tell me if I'm right or wrong. Thanks, Pete

Last edited:
pahntr,
I saw that same thing but what I want to know is it made by Winchester by the factory like that or was it re-chambered in the Weatherby caliber/??? Do you know. Thanks

The Winchester 70 was offered back in the '70's in 300 Weatherby Mag as a factory chambering.

I was with a neighbor of mine when he bought one. I urged him to get it in .270 instead but he just wanted the Weatherby chambering for some reason.

Don't think that he ever got a deer with it but he did get some impressive bruises on his shoulder from shooting it.

Winchester used to do all kind of neat stuff. I once saw a stainless M70 chambered in .270 Weatherby Magnum with a BOSS muzzle break installed from the factory. I wish I had had the doe to bring that baby home with me.

Originally Posted By: RustydustThe Winchester 70 was offered back in the '70's in 300 Weatherby Mag as a factory chambering.

I was with a neighbor of mine when he bought one. I urged him to get it in .270 instead but he just wanted the Weatherby chambering for some reason.

Don't think that he ever got a deer with it but he did get some impressive bruises on his shoulder from shooting it.

Oh, my. Apparently he needed someone like you to show him how to hold it if a 300 Weatherby Mag caused serious shoulder bruising.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: RustydustThe Winchester 70 was offered back in the '70's in 300 Weatherby Mag as a factory chambering.

Oh, my. Apparently he needed someone like you to show him how to hold it if a 300 Weatherby Mag caused serious shoulder bruising.

Not me. I shot it with some .300 H&H magnum loads and I did not like it. To me it kicked worse than a Weatherby in .300 Weatherby did. It was certainly worse than my Ruger M77 in .338 Mag was.

Back