Annual Groundhog tally for 2012

Now if you notice the spot on the concrete to the left of the hole, thats what a 22250 hollow point does when you miss at about 300 yards. center was right on just hit left, second shot was spot on as you can see.
IMG_1058.jpg

Last edited:
LOL. Sometimes it takes more than 2. Still trying to get better on those farther shots. I tell ya, I put a Timney in that old 788 and lightened it up and man did it make a difference. Its hard to shoot my other guns with the factory triggers now. That place is actually my Friends farm in S York co,Pa. He was at the beach and I was watching the farm for him. The old Corn crib is in his yard basically. Second one out of that hole this year.

nice one, bolski. Surprised your hog looks so peaceful after a cataclysmic engagement with your 22-250!

Mine looks pretty good too provided you don't flip it over
scared.gif
. I popped it at 294 yards with a 75 grain V-Max fired from my 243.

It was somewhere down along that creek bottom. Those trees give nice shady spots that the hogs must think they can't be seen in. The alfalfa was cut in the last 48 hours so I could see everything that moved...

AC44C174-5F0A-424A-9759-19F06F4F2574-3851-0000045CDB3D386F.jpg

0145CF88-67A5-4C78-B578-1086A4565780-3851-0000045CE908C792.jpg

Pretty country. Reminds me of OH. Nice shooting too!

My 243 didn't like the 75 gr V-Max as well as the 58 gr V-Max and the Federal V-Shok 85 gr Sierra GameKing BTHP.

Seems like a strange combination, but those two grouped about equally well.

Originally Posted By: DogboneMy 243 didn't like the 75 gr V-Max as well as the 58 gr V-Max and the Federal V-Shok 85 gr Sierra GameKing BTHP.

The 58 is probably ideal for you now. Light, fast, explosive! I didn't move up to the 75 grain until I started pushing shots to 400 and beyond and was hoping the heavier bullet with the higher BC would buck the wind better.

Burnt out from the daily grind here in the DC metro area, I took two days off with little hope of seeing anything because the beans are too high.

Yup, they were too high, nothing to report here... Sorry fellas..

Eric
5411EF6B-FD01-4AD3-9399-6DA48DDF0B63-6263-00000542BA4F6088.jpg

339436F8-7925-4956-B0F8-E850F8CD00A8-6263-00000542C37A30F0.jpg

Gobble, gobble...
CF7FE1EA-DDFB-4ED0-B735-36D35C960455-6263-00000542CC3BEE41.jpg

Originally Posted By: bolskiYou don't have to explain but I am still trying to figure out, 1 up 5 down. Maybe I'll never know

Ok bolski, You held up your end and now I will tell you. LOL

I used to road race motorcycles. A standard motorcycle's shift pattern is one down and five up. As racers, we would reverse the shift pattern to one up, five down. This made it easier to shift in the turns when you have the bike leaned over and knee on the deck. This shift pattern is also called "GP shift".

Hope you understand now.

Dave

Originally Posted By: 1up5downOriginally Posted By: bolskiYou don't have to explain but I am still trying to figure out, 1 up 5 down. Maybe I'll never know

I used to road race motorcycles. A standard motorcycle's shift pattern is one down and five up. As racers, we would reverse the shift pattern to one up, five down. This made it easier to shift in the turns when you have the bike leaned over and knee on the deck. This shift pattern is also called "GP shift".

Hope you understand now.

Dave

I also used to road race motorcycles - I ran British bikes (BSA Gold Stars and Norton Manx's) and their pattern was one up, and four or five down right from the factory - until the US DOT decided that every one in the world should do it the American way
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

So the Brits (in their inimitable way) made a cheap cross over kit to meet the US DOT, and once you took possession, you removed the kit (and tossed it in the trash) and you were back to the original set-up.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: 1up5downOriginally Posted By: bolskiYou don't have to explain but I am still trying to figure out, 1 up 5 down. Maybe I'll never know

Hope you understand now.

Dave

I also used to road race motorcycles - I ran British bikes (BSA Gold Stars and Norton Manx's) and their pattern was one up, and four or five down right from the factory - until the US DOT decided that every one in the world should do it the American way
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

So the Brits (in their inimitable way) made a cheap cross over kit to meet the US DOT, and once you took possession, you removed the kit (and tossed it in the trash) and you were back to the original set-up.

Hey CS, I would love to throw a leg over a Norton! The Brit's had it right, any bike I ride has the GP shift. Have not raced in a few yrs. Have not had a bike going on three yrs. now but the wifey has been hinting about getting another one. Leaning towards a BMW S1000RR or a Ducati 1198. From here on out it's street riding for me. Too damm expensive to ride on the track anymore.

Dave

Hope my attachment works. A story about my short range efforts.

Gary

Had a great day yesterday After returning home from a overnighter and a wedding I got some shooting time and decided to check out my bud's mini farm around 2pm...he has Ground hogs all around his property and out buildings and is surrounded by vacant farm property that is overgrown with brush and weeds. His back 40 is a cornfield this year. The property has numerous oak trees and of course has squirrels working on them. Did I mention coons? plenty of them for night sniping.

Anyway I wanted to check his live trap and look for GH activity....my weapon of choice was my BSA Lonestar and newly mounted Bushnell Trophy 3x12 DOA.......................What a killer combination, I can now shoot with complete confidence out .to 50 to 85 yards! While scouting I noticed a fox squirrel working a tree top approx 100 feet up and lasered at 51 yards I sat down set my homemade short shooting sticks made of tomato stakes and set scope on 12 power and zeroed on the back of his head. Squeezed the awsome smooth BSA trigger and WOK .....soild contact one dead squirrel. I harvested him and headed back tothe ranch.

My plan for after dinner was to check a apple orchard that I have permission to clear out ground hogs.When I got there some folks wore moving equipment aroung tomake room for some new apple bins No problem...had a good conversation with the owner about his additional 60 acre farm and rabbit hunting

Moved on to the mini farm around 7pm. Upon arriving I grabbed by sticks, rifle and pellets and proceeded to scout the edges of the property for ground hogs....... sure enough while hugging a fence line that is covered by high weeds and trees from adjacent lot ther is a GH standing up 20feet away from me! he was in the other property and ran to a vacant delapited barn and dissapered into the rubble. Same place I shot one with my 22 mag earlier this summer. I decided to back off and wait him out and hide behind a fence row/tree line.

While waiting I set up my primos tripod and hunting seat,drank some cold water and lit a cigar......................LIFE IS GOOD!

Now I am not the most experienced GH hunter ,but I usually wait 20 mins and kinda check out the GH hide area. I adjusted the the scope AO down to 15 yards and mag down to 4. Just as I creeping along the fence line the GH squeezed through the fence and was in my bud's pasture about 10feet......................and 30 yards away, you guessed it.......AO NEEDED TO BE RESET.."dang". while doing this the GH ran back to the field

Reset another 20 mins and I noticed a movement about 90 yards coming out of the cornfield and walking to the tree line. I put the scope on it and it was a feral cat looking to terroize the local rabbits. Sure enough the darn GH COMES BACK TO THE PASTURE while I'm looking at the cat................no problem I adjust AO 50 yards breeth slow put second dot on GH's base of skull ....steady,steady, squeeze and THUMP ,DOA one roll and tail twitches for a few seconds.............the whole time the cat just sat ther and watched the whole thing right in front of him...LOL.

I set back took a sip of cold water and relit stoogie. Then called my bud to come harvest the JUVY Hog. I lasered from hog to my shooting station and it was 57 yards! Did I say I love this scope.

Last edited:
grt56...

Gary.

You put your link in as a photo, so it didn't work.

There is a button that allows you to preview your post before you post it - it is right next to the "Submit" button, and says "Preview post"... use it to see what your post will look like.

Good story! Ah, been a long time since I gave up stogies, but I still enjoy the aroma. We could hunt together so I can smell your cigar. LOL

Have not been able to get out this week due to working two jobs again but was able to put my new varmint destroyer together!!

RRA lower w/ 2 stage trigger. Sabre Defence upper with a 24" fluted heavy barrel in 204 Ruger. Scope is A Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 with mil dot held in place with Warne steel rings.

huntingpictures177.jpg

huntingpictures175.jpg

huntingpictures176.jpg

Plan on shooting Hornady 32gr. Vmax. Should get me out to 400 yds. pretty easy !!

Dave

Back