Savage 11 .243

EasternPredHunter

After going through my Tikka T3 thread and receiving comments about the rifle, I did some more thinking and began to search through the Savage line more deeply than I had previously. The Savage model 11 FCNS in .243 has caught my eye and has the accu-stock and accu-trigger. Its lightweight at only 6.5 lbs and uses a detachable magazine. Buds Gun Shop has them for $547, so its within my price range.

Thoughts? How are they on long distance shots? What type of crown do they have?

Thanks

I had one in the "pre-Accu trigger". Was a decent rifle that harvested several deer, and a bunch of Fla. pigs. Can't say as I ever shot it past 2/300 yds, but it was alway predictably MOA. Had an older Simmons 3.5-10x44 Mag scope on it.I personally think ya can't go wrong with the Savage offerings these days. Just my opinion!
G

I use one for perdators. love it... its no sako or kimber but about the most accurate gun I've ever shot. Mine had no accu-trig so I put in a rifle basix (sav-1). Shoots MOA all day, most all mfg'ers ammo. The crown is not recessed. you'll likely find if it says savage it will be accurate. Some complain of being ugly. I say if it shoots who cares!!!

I have a Savage M11 fxp, blind mag, accutrigger .243, sporter bbl, crown is round.
Its very accurate with my hand loads and I can hit steel at 400 yds everytime w/my 58/65/70/85/95 loads. I can pop the 700 yard steel consistantly after I dial my scope up & play the wind.
Check your local walmart if they sell firearms, they have them w/scope for about $400. The accustock is something you would not write home about either as its more of a selling gimmick.

What's next ?
rolleyes.gif

Consider the Trophy Hunter package gun. The base gun is the same as the Model 11. I just bought one in .223 for $525 OTD and that includes a Nikon 3-9x40 BDC scope.

I shot a Savage before they became popular, a 112 in 220 swift, I just cant find an off the shelf rifle that will shoot with a Savage. My 10 predator is the most accurate 243 I have ever owned, bar none, get the accu-trigger and you will be very happy

Few things about Savage
Everyone "Knows" that they are accurate. What they don't actually know, is why they know that.
At least most recently, just post bankruptcy years, they were cheap; think Stevens/Marlin X7 cheap. For the money spent, they shot VERY well. Fast forward to today, and they still shoot well, but with the exception of the Stevens; they are expensive with little to show for the price.
I have LONG been a Savage dude, Still shoot a 10FP to 1,000 yards with relative ease. However I have turned to Marlin's X7. The Savage synthetic stock has ALWAYS sucked, anyone who thinks otherwise has rocks in their head(JMO). They tried to "fix" it, by adding some sheet metal. Trust me, it didn't fix anything... Help? Well.... MAYBE. The accu-trigger. Cast from the worlds finest deadsoft lead alloy. In my past 3, AND a brothers current; if you "adjust" them light they will half-drop. So if you close the bolt with all the force of a crippled stripper, the trigger drops. At least the sear-catch saves you from a discharge, but then you have to re-cock it. Don't know if this problem exists with the Target version, but VERY common with the standard crap-U-Trigger.
Personally I think that the Bull barrel versions are quite good for a "normally" priced factory gun, the sporters are good for the price of a Stevens; NOT what the Savage name costs. The Stevens is a Pre-Accutrigger gun, albeit with a 2-screw trigger. Easily adjustable, or replaceable with aftermarket parts. For THAT price, the Stevens is a value. The current centerfeed Savages don't have the aftermarket support for stocks, that the staggers do. So stocks are limited somewhat, Also so is the capacity.

The crown is what all "standard" sporters have. The heavy barrels are different, they are a recessed target type. For hunting to 3-400 yards they are about the same as any other sporter. How many times have you seen an F-class shooter wanting to win, get a 22" pencil barrel?

This is just my opinion, many will see it differently I'm sure.

Last edited:
I'm sure some marlins are good (and I have a 336 which shoots 3/4" @100), but I cant see buying one right now, because of the lack of QC they have been showing recently.

The Marlin X7 series is a bolt action rifle.
Barrel nut and threads the same as Savage small shanks. Accu-trigger, which unlike savage won't drop. It is a little heavier than Savages, but unlike them has ZERO creep.
The scope bases and stock spacing is the same as a model 70.

I have a Pre-Cerberus rifle, and a brother in-law has a Post-Cerberus rifle. There is no QC difference, and they will shoot equally. From what I hear on Marlinowners, and have personally used; the QC complaints SEEM to be stemming from the lever folks.

Thanks Darkker.

I have looked at alot of different rifles, but my question now is..if I do my part, would the Savage 11 I had originally asked about ,be capable of good accuracy out to 400 yards? Not just on steel....this is gonna be my coyote rig.

I'm not to worried about the trigger, because I would replace it with a rifle basix trigger.

Last edited:
FYI Cabelas has the package deal at $499 right now and the one w/out the accutrigger at $399. They will ship to your FFL also.

Back