Beat a dead Horse What Method on Load Development

Originally Posted By: ScalloperWould it be advisable to use a lead sled or similar with an air plunger to push the trigger so you could at least eliminate shooter era while working up loads?

Absolutely. Remove the variables. If the system is producing excellent groups, then when you are shooting, you know it is you and not the system. You can begin to work on your technique to improve your shooting.

Originally Posted By: NitromanOriginally Posted By: ScalloperWould it be advisable to use a lead sled or similar with an air plunger to push the trigger so you could at least eliminate shooter era while working up loads?

Absolutely. Remove the variables. If the system is producing excellent groups, then when you are shooting, you know it is you and not the system. You can begin to work on your technique to improve your shooting.

You will ALWAYS have variables no matter what you do!

Use that trigger time to better yourself!!

As Hooked said maybe it's time for a new hobby??

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleQuote:people sure like to make things into a whole lot more than they are. If you're worried about shooter error, pay more attention to technique....Ackman, Not trying to change your opinion or mind, but in answer to the original question,
Quote:Would it be advisable to use a lead sled or similar with an air plunger to push the trigger so you could at least eliminate shooter era while working up loads?...If your technique is questionable (as many are), why would you not want to reduce 'human error' out of load development when it comes time to make the test shots...??? I'm asking for my own edification...since that is the concept that I've always applied..

Once I know the load is the best I can do, then I know that anything with lower results has to be my shooting skills and I can work on them from that point...If my initial load is bad, effort toward improving my technique is really a waste of time and becomes an exercise in futility....
Thank You that was my opinion as well.

FWIW- I hope my comment about taking up a new hobby was not offensive to the OP or anyone else.
I can respect the `idea` of removing variables.
I agree with dmpowder and that you will ALWAYS have variables. I also question if getting too carried away with gadgets and gizmos wouldn`t actually be too much different than any type of shooting you will encounter away from the range.
Regardless of what a person wants to try the important thing is to have fun and enjoy the hobby/sport.

Quote:I hope my comment about taking up a new hobby was not offensive to the OP or anyone else. ...I was a street cop too many years to have that thin of a skin...Stand in front of a bunch of Liberal Welfare rioters and you will learn to get a tough skin...Or get charged with Manslaughter...

Originally Posted By: dmpowderOriginally Posted By: NitromanOriginally Posted By: ScalloperWould it be advisable to use a lead sled or similar with an air plunger to push the trigger so you could at least eliminate shooter era while working up loads?

You will ALWAYS have variables no matter what you do!

Use that trigger time to better yourself!!

As Hooked said maybe it's time for a new hobby??

So us "shakey" people that enjoy shooting, but may not have the time, absolutely steady nerves or $$ to throw hundreds of dollars into each and every load for each and every weapon for each and every time of year and each and every use had best just do it your way or get the [beeep] out of shooting and reloading and learning, I guess, huh?? Nice, really nice, guys. Great way to encourage those that will come after you to keep up the shooting sports after YOU are gone.

I see usefulness in all of these techniques, and a lot to be learned here in general, but severe attitude in some responses here - this is kinda like talking to liberals. Some details WITHOUT the tudes would help more of these less knowledgeable folks much more. 'Course, maybe helping is just MY assumption here.

Originally Posted By: NitromanOriginally Posted By: ScalloperWould it be advisable to use a lead sled or similar with an air plunger to push the trigger so you could at least eliminate shooter era while working up loads?

Agreed!

Removing variables is how we make accurate loads. OF COURSE if you want to get the best reflection of the ammunition you must remove the variables! Otherwise we would all shoot offhand, with no scopes, and while talking to other people while we yank on crappy triggers.

Some folks are drinking some pretty iffy kool-aid. If one has the desire to find the most accurate load for some reason, they need to eliminate every variable possible, until that load is located, THEN they need to learn to translate that load into real world use. Anything else, as already stated, is a waste of time. Anyone that does not see the logic in this needs to reevaluate why they want a clean trigger, a scope, or a certain length barrel, for that matter. Heck, just use a handgun snubbie and go for it. Amazing....

Last edited:
Call it what you will, but you are not testing anything but your wallet unless you have a stable platform to shoot from. Maybe it's old socks filled with sand, to fancy leather bunny-ear bags, right on up to all sorts of high-falootin contraptions, but one thing for sure if you can't hold the gun on target when things go boom, you are just burning powder.

Myself I have a leather "bunny" bag and an assortment of other home-made bags to suit the situation. Also have a caldwell steady table, bi-pods, and a mechanical sled. Of all of this, I grab the table, bunny bag, and bipod 99% of the time. [beeep], I won't even take a shot over 150-200 yards at deer unless I'm on sticks. But I know I'm good for < 2 MOA and that will cover that range, past that the gun is sitting on something, and usually even for those ranges.

Originally Posted By: BubbaChickenOriginally Posted By: NitromanOriginally Posted By: ScalloperWould it be advisable to use a lead sled or similar with an air plunger to push the trigger so you could at least eliminate shooter era while working up loads?

Agreed!

Removing variables is how we make accurate loads. OF COURSE if you want to get the best reflection of the ammunition you must remove the variables! Otherwise we would all shoot offhand, with no scopes, and while talking to other people while we yank on crappy triggers.

Some folks are drinking some pretty iffy kool-aid. If one has the desire to find the most accurate load for some reason, they need to eliminate every variable possible, until that load is located, THEN they need to learn to translate that load into real world use. Anything else, as already stated, is a waste of time. Anyone that does not see the logic in this needs to reevaluate why they want a clean trigger, a scope, or a certain length barrel, for that matter. Heck, just use a handgun snubbie and go for it. Amazing....
That was my thought. Find out the loads ability then that would give me somewhat of a idea how much I need to work on my shooting skills. All in all this has been a very good topic and I found some very informitive info posted here.

Originally Posted By: BubbaChickenOf course, one should be careful not to fall into the trap of thinking every rifle should place every shot in the same hole....

They aren't supposed to?

Originally Posted By: BubbaChicken
Agreed!

BubbaChicken: I love the fact you think trigger time is a waste of time!
rolleyes.gif

$hit I must have supper dupper rifles with out of this world shooting skills! All I have ever used was a bipod and rear bag.

Cracks me up guys can shoot over 1 mile and hit a target. Yet some think they need a fancy rest and a dilly wackier to pull the trigger at 100 yards to shoot a group!
lol.gif
lol.gif

Learn to shoot with the variables and stop trying to take them out!!!! It does not matter if the rifle can shoot perfect rounds if the shooter can't drive it too!

Stop over thinking $hit and K.I.S.S! Step away from the PC for a week and spend that time shooting! More rewarding then trying to prove something online!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mike B
So us "shakey" people that enjoy shooting, but may not have the time, absolutely steady nerves

OK if you have shaky hands and you know it what is the point in trying to put 3+ rounds into one hole? If it's for a target for bragging rights let me know I will send you however many you need!

Originally Posted By: Mike Bor $$ to throw hundreds of dollars into each and every load for each and every weapon

But yet you can throw hundreds of $ towards a rest that will make you think you are something your not??

Originally Posted By: Mike Bfor each and every time of year and each and every use

Luckily you won't have to if you do the OCW! That is why it works and is nice! But see people wanna make it to be something it's not!

Originally Posted By: Mike Bjust do it your way or get the [beeep] out of shooting and reloading and learning, I guess, huh?? Nice, really nice, guys. Great way to encourage those that will come after you to keep up the shooting sports after YOU are gone.

Now your reading too much into it! Let us play the "Let's just sit here and think about it" game k? If you need a rest that does everything for you except load the ammo and aim. What good would that do you while hunting? Let me get you started. You miss placed the shot on a animal because YOU didn't want to learn the correct way and now this animal is off running with a bullet hole in it. Well YOU didn't want to learn how to shoot correctly so what makes me think YOU are willing to put in the time into track a wounded animal?? So then you come onto a public forum and tell the story about how great your rifle shoots off a rest but yet YOU couldn't kill a animal with one shot and now your not sure if you can find it. See where I'm going with this?

Also it's not our way or the highway! Think of it like this.

WE (the ones that say no rest) teach people how to do math the right way by using your brain, pen, and paper.

YOU (fancy rest guys) like to teach people how to do math with a calculator.

There is the correct way that makes you better and then there is the lazy way that blows smoke.

Originally Posted By: Mike BI see usefulness in all of these techniques, and a lot to be learned here in general, but severe attitude in some responses here - this is kinda like talking to liberals. Some details WITHOUT the tudes would help more of these less knowledgeable folks much more. 'Course, maybe helping is just MY assumption here.

Glad you are learning something from all this. But the "tudes" come in when people try and teach/tell someone to do it the BS way! Just saying!
thumbup1.gif

Really politics??? Come on now don't let it bug you that much.

You think maybe this can get back on topic???

DM. you are missing the entire point I am attempting to make here. Instead of getting all ridiculous about it, take a look before you start pissing on fireplugs here.

First, not all rifles are able to print single hole groups at all ranges, because SOME OF THEM are not freefloated or have crappy triggers, or never WILL be accurate with certain bullet designs or lengths, or loads. Sure we can fix those, but that is my point, get rid of those variables.

Second, if your rifle IS one of the above that needs physical work, a rest (even a CHEAP one, I never advocated an expensive ANYTHING in my post) and attention to elimination of mechanical problems that exist even in factory new rifles will address those issues, BEFORE you send $200 downrange in ammo. DM, maybe you just got lucky on every rifle you have gotten and they all shoot perfectly with every load you have tried, congrats, you should be playing the lottery, or you are not being entirely candid. By the way, YOU are using more rest than I was suggesting too!

Third, I said nothing about all trigger time being a waste of time AFTER THE VARIABLES ARE HANDLED, I said that until you know what the variables are doing, the time on the trigger is wasted, primarily because until those variables are handled, or at least noted, you don't know it is NOT you, it is the crappy job the manufacturer did in creating the rifle. If you change anything with the rifle, you often also change what it does downrange, but it takes some changing of the rifle to see that, of course.

Don't get upset because I called out politics, I am making a simple comparison, and it does not take a slide rule to figure out if a rifle is printing well, once you have it held solidly. It takes a few (a VERY few) shots, then you shoot on sticks or whatever from there, knowing what the rifle CAN do when unafflicted by YOU. At least you have some idea of whether you are making mistakes or if there is something else amiss, that is all I am attempting to say. The OP was clear, and I thought I was plenty clear, but maybe I was not as clear as you needed somehow. I don't know of a more basic way to state it.

Dm, also what size target are they shooting, what kind of rifle, with what modifications and special tuning, and what sort of field conditions are they having for those shots at over a mile as you stated? I think you need some field time too. I know they are not hitting those ten inch targets with tight groups of one-hole or cloverleaf status with factory rifles that have not been modified, as you are intimating. They also got rid of all the variables they could, just as I said. However, some of them ARE using a slide rule!

Originally Posted By: dmpowderOriginally Posted By: Mike B
So us "shakey" people that enjoy shooting, but may not have the time, absolutely steady nerves

OK if you have shaky hands and you know it what is the point in trying to put 3+ rounds into one hole? If it's for a target for bragging rights let me know I will send you however many you need!

Originally Posted By: Mike Bor $$ to throw hundreds of dollars into each and every load for each and every weapon

But yet you can throw hundreds of $ towards a rest that will make you think you are something your not??

Originally Posted By: Mike Bfor each and every time of year and each and every use

Luckily you won't have to if you do the OCW! That is why it works and is nice! But see people wanna make it to be something it's not!

Originally Posted By: Mike Bjust do it your way or get the [beeep] out of shooting and reloading and learning, I guess, huh?? Nice, really nice, guys. Great way to encourage those that will come after you to keep up the shooting sports after YOU are gone.

Now your reading too much into it! Let us play the "Let's just sit here and think about it" game k? If you need a rest that does everything for you except load the ammo and aim. What good would that do you while hunting? Let me get you started. You miss placed the shot on a animal because YOU didn't want to learn the correct way and now this animal is off running with a bullet hole in it. Well YOU didn't want to learn how to shoot correctly so what makes me think YOU are willing to put in the time into track a wounded animal?? So then you come onto a public forum and tell the story about how great your rifle shoots off a rest but yet YOU couldn't kill a animal with one shot and now your not sure if you can find it. See where I'm going with this?

Also it's not our way or the highway! Think of it like this.

WE (the ones that say no rest) teach people how to do math the right way by using your brain, pen, and paper.

YOU (fancy rest guys) like to teach people how to do math with a calculator.

There is the correct way that makes you better and then there is the lazy way that blows smoke.

Originally Posted By: Mike BI see usefulness in all of these techniques, and a lot to be learned here in general, but severe attitude in some responses here - this is kinda like talking to liberals. Some details WITHOUT the tudes would help more of these less knowledgeable folks much more. 'Course, maybe helping is just MY assumption here.

Glad you are learning something from all this. But the "tudes" come in when people try and teach/tell someone to do it the BS way! Just saying!
thumbup1.gif

Really politics??? Come on now don't let it bug you that much.

You think maybe this can get back on topic???

I was going to ask, by the way, How exactly did someone else get this off topic? When did anyone say they wanted you to impart your vast knowledge of woodsmanship to track their wounded game? That entire diatribe is not even relevant (hence, you proved my political statement, thank you) and you are slinging crud around and insulting people. Relax, have some coffee (or better, don't) and read the posts again. Imagine for a minute the guy wants to know something similar to what he originally asked, perhaps? And stop insulting people, it is rude.

I just put up some .25DTI wildcat loads in the sticky & found this thread.

For wildcats, I also use a one shot "ladder" to determine pressure threshold.
Pick a bullet, pick a powder. IF you can, start in the lands.

Load ONE round of each powder charge in ~10% increments of case capacity. IE, .17 calibers 0.2gr, .25DTI, 0.3gr, .243 0.5gr etc...
Shoot this pressure testing "ladder" at the same target.
Once pressure signs are encountered, STOP. Pull bullets on anything above that, there will only be a few
wink.gif

Noting uniformity of the group will give a good indication of a 'tolerant' powder.

Once pressure is determined, for a HUNTING LOAD I will pick a charge just at, or slighly below max and load 5. (I like to get all I can out of killing loads, so I run them hard) Shoot for group. If accuracy is acceptable TO ME, that's my hunting load. DONE DEAL...

If I'm trying for an ACCURACY LOAD, I will load 5 a bit further off max, to where I saw no pressure signs. Shoot for group. If accuracy is outstanding, then I got lucky and I'm done! If not, load 5 at another increment & try that...

Granted, this is not the be all, end all of load development. And if my HUNTING LOAD is shooting to my accuracy expectations, then I will go with the warm/hot loaded max. fps over trying to eeeek a bughole out of it.

Buuuut, if I AM trying to eeek a bughole out for an ACCURACY LOAD, then I will take things a step further and load 5 @ more of the increments below max and pick the best shooting group of the lot of 'em. And that is still a pretty quick & easy way to find what I'm looking for...

Good luck & have fun!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BubbaChickenDM. you are missing the entire point I am attempting to make here. Instead of getting all ridiculous about it, take a look before you start pissing on fireplugs here.

Not so much!!

First, not all rifles are able to print single hole groups at all ranges, because SOME OF THEM are not freefloated or have crappy triggers, or never WILL be accurate with certain bullet designs or lengths, or loads. Sure we can fix those, but that is my point, get rid of those variables.

Really never knew that... Triggers have nothing to do with how accurate a rifle is. They help the shooter not the rifle. How are you going to know if your rifle likes a bullet until you shoot it???? IYO that's wasting money....

Second, if your rifle IS one of the above that needs physical work, a rest (even a CHEAP one, I never advocated an expensive ANYTHING in my post) and attention to elimination of mechanical problems that exist even in factory new rifles will address those issues, BEFORE you send $200 downrange in ammo. DM, maybe you just got lucky on every rifle you have gotten and they all shoot perfectly with every load you have tried, congrats, you should be playing the lottery, or you are not being entirely candid. By the way, YOU are using more rest than I was suggesting too!

Nope my Creedmoor gave me some fits but I think I got it going now. Plus I don't play the lotto as I would rather "waste" my money down range! Huh... that's strange I'm "wasting" my money downrange but at the same time giving me trigger time...I see no waste here.

So what type of rest do you use while doing load development??? Remember this is a question on the type of rest for load development not hunting?????

Third, I said nothing about all trigger time being a waste of time AFTER THE VARIABLES ARE HANDLED, I said that until you know what the variables are doing, the time on the trigger is wasted, primarily because until those variables are handled, or at least noted, you don't know it is NOT you, it is the crappy job the manufacturer did in creating the rifle. If you change anything with the rifle, you often also change what it does downrange, but it takes some changing of the rifle to see that, of course.

So it's just a waste up until you handle the variables??? So all those (myself included) that say a 22LR is a great trainer are full of $hit. I mean we all know how accurate the bulk 22 ammo is.

Again trigger time is never a waste! plain and simple, if you know your groups suck use that time to work on your form!

Don't get upset because I called out politics, I am making a simple comparison, and it does not take a slide rule to figure out if a rifle is printing well, once you have it held solidly. It takes a few (a VERY few) shots, then you shoot on sticks or whatever from there, knowing what the rifle CAN do when unafflicted by YOU. At least you have some idea of whether you are making mistakes or if there is something else amiss, that is all I am attempting to say. The OP was clear, and I thought I was plenty clear, but maybe I was not as clear as you needed somehow. I don't know of a more basic way to state it.

A rifle will ALWAYS be affected by the shooter! SO yeah your clear as glass that you have no idea what your talking about!

I don't get upset when bring in politics into the thread. Just rather annoying that people now days always have to bring the $hit like it's a insult or something????
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Dm, also what size target are they shooting, what kind of rifle, with what modifications and special tuning, and what sort of field conditions are they having for those shots at over a mile as you stated? I think you need some field time too. I know they are not hitting those ten inch targets with tight groups of one-hole or cloverleaf status with factory rifles that have not been modified, as you are intimating. They also got rid of all the variables they could, just as I said. However, some of them ARE using a slide rule!

I wish I could give you a strait answer on that one but the truth is everything from stock to full blown "customs". I get plenty of field time as I'm sure I shoot 3 times more then you do in a week. They are also not trying to shoot one hole groups at that distance because at that distance it's more on the shooter! Again it shows you missed the point by a mile! That was stated for the plain and simple fact that guys can shoot at that long of a distance and hit a target but yet some think that you need a fancy rest to shoot at 100 yards! Which leads me to think that you yourself have never shot at what maybe 500 yards??

Originally Posted By: BubbaChicken
I was going to ask, by the way, How exactly did someone else get this off topic? When did anyone say they wanted you to impart your vast knowledge of woodsmanship to track their wounded game? That entire diatribe is not even relevant (hence, you proved my political statement, thank you) and you are slinging crud around and insulting people. Relax, have some coffee (or better, don't) and read the posts again. Imagine for a minute the guy wants to know something similar to what he originally asked, perhaps? And stop insulting people, it is rude.

Who is missing the point yet again? I never once, not a single time was I ever bragging about my tracking abilities! I would never give them help tracking their wounded game. I would be the one calling them a "Jack A$$" for their actions for shooting off of a rest the whole time and then not having that rest when hunting. In turn not being able to place the bullet where it needs to go because their crutch is gone! But since you show your vast brain size you already know that a rifle shoots different off of a rest, sticks, bipod.

Learn to do it the right way!

Again if it weren't for some people trying to say do it this way because that way is a waste. I would not be insulting people who ever it may be I insulted?? Either get off the internet or get some thicker skin! It's the net stop taking it so serious and take the dress off and stop loosing sleep over it!

The OP question has been answered twice already! But some think that certain ways are a waste and no good! Hence for some reason I'm still talking to someone that has no idea of what they themselves are talking about!!! So to you I say don't have a cup of coffee. Go find someone that knows how to shoot and hit the range with them and listen. Take some notes and THEN and only then when you have a idea of what your talking about you can type your words online.

Back