1 Week to go... WOW this summer went fast!!!

elks

So next Saturday is opener of archery Elk here for me. Lately it has been hot and dry... I mean all year it has been hot and dry. Needless to say I am feeling the pressure to get all my stuff ready etc. Moving this summer has put me way behind on everything else. Regardless I am setting camp tomorrow and shooting my broad heads this week.

So ultimately ready or not here I come....

Normally I would be washing and packing in compression sacks all my sets of microtex, wool and fleece hunting clothes. Setting up the base camp and spike tents to air out and check for leaks. Cooking, vacumn packing and freezing camp meals. Making summer sausage, granola bars and trailmix. Servicing and maintenance on the truck. Filling a tool box with every thing I can think of for basic mechanic work on the truck. Putting the chains on to make sure they fit new tires. Re-stocking the bow repair/maintenance tackle box. I shoot my bows year round, so they are always ready to go. Checking and re-stocking the first aid kit. Sharpening knives. Picking up batteries for camera, gps, flashlights and rangefinder. Picking up propane bottles for lantern, cook stove and heater. Re-stocking my day pack with all the little necessities like paracord and game bags, little survival, first aid and rescue kit, headlamp, raingear, gps, compass, calls, maps!(even though I've hunted these areas for years and my hunting partner many years more than me), Small diamond stick for resharpening the skinning knife, extra batteries.
All this stuff and a thousand other things I've forgotten to mention and your ready for a elk hunt! Man I'm glad we're not going this year! Not really. The planning and getting ready is part of the fun for me.

We've decided instead to do a late fall, multi state coyote calling/wolf hunt. Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota and ending in Montana for hopefully a crack at a wolf.
I wish all you guys chasing elk this year good luck. And be safe!

Archery Elk season starts September 1st for me but I am not leaving until early morning of the 12th. Never really seen things heat up until around mid month anyway. Most of my bulls have come between the 10th and 20th of the month and my trip is scheduled for the 12th thru the 30th. The excitment is building but I am more focused on my cardio routine to get my self ready for almost three straight weeks of foot pounding the high country. Got two tags this year. One any elk and one Cow/Calf tag. Hoping to stick a cow first so I can hold out for a 330 plus bull. Best archery bull is a gross 328" so I would like to top that this year. Last year I could not kill my cow first because a 300" six point gave me a perfect 30 yard broadside shot on the 4th day of the hunt I just couldnt pass. Dam the luck
w00t.gif

Back