When your bug spray fails

RJM Acres

A picture is worth a thousand words

IMG_0839.jpg

That's just 1 ankle.
Both legs look like that all the way up and then some.

I told you how to prevent that from happening... permanone. What is the old saying... "you can lead a horse to water...?"

Originally Posted By: GCI told you how to prevent that from happening... permanone. What is the old saying... "you can lead a horse to water...?"

I used some spray with that where you spray your clothes down
and let them dry. Also used other spray on my skin.

And quit insulting those horses.

That’s curious. I don’t know what you used or what you did but I have never had Permanone/Permethrin fail - period. I've used it for a couple of decades now both as an outdoorsman hunter/fisherman/camper/hiker and professionally as a Missouri Department of Natural Resources State Park Naturalist doing trail and survey work in the summer months and as a Drug Task Force Officer working remote marijuana patches and meth labs in the summer woods and fields. Never looked remotely like that – ever. Rarely ever had even a single tick after wading through head high brush all day on the job. It is a standard for many professions that work the woods in the summer months. I was talking with a surveyor last week about the ticks this year and he mentioned permanone and we compared our results with it, he loved the stuff and his company buys it by the case. Weird you should have that trouble.

Edit: BTW, sorry 'bout your situation. What do you do to ease the itch?

Last edited:
Wow....that looks Awful. Yikes!!!!
frown.gif

I've never had Chiggers that bad....now we have regular mowed paths on our Farm and along the field edges,plus I sprayed my clothes down with the Repel "Permethrin" spray and I also spray the regular Repel spray with 40% Deet I also wear socks and the Muck ankle-high rubber work boots and tuck my pants inside the boots!

I bet You wore shorts from the looks of all those bites? Hmmmm!

I used Sawyer Products Premium Insect Repellent for Clothing and Gear. Got it at walmart.
Maybe I need to reapply it to my clothes again.

I was wearing overhauls, socks and my hunting boots.
The picture is the bite marks that were under my socks.

Maybe I shouldn't have sat on that rock ledge for so long.

Anyways, to relieve itching I experimented.

1 leg I used white viniger
Other leg I used rubbing alcohol.
Both worked fairly well for a short period of time.
I do use the rubbing alcohol several times a day just to
keep the bites from getting infected after I've scratch the
"stuff" out of them.

For real relief I use Sarna lotion. Got that at walmart.

I think I'll try a different brand of spray.

Hey Randy what did those bugs look like when your legs got done with them? Just be thankful you weren't sitting down when they started biting. Could have been a real ugly picture if you know what I mean. After the last few adventures you've posted I'm surprised your man leash hasn't been shortened by a few links.
Take care and try and stay out of trouble for a while

Kevin

Well, I was sitting down for quite some time while out in the
woods. I usually sit on my little 3 legged stool but since I
was on the top of a ravine, it wasn't level enough so I sat on
a big rock. After that I was in thick trees and undergrowth
tracking a wounded coyote.

Trust me, it wasn't just my legs that got chewed up but I didn't
think anyone would want to see those pictures.
Might want to rip your eyes out if you did see them.

And you don't ever want to put Sarna lotion on your privates.
Or maybe you do, it was like a date in a bottle.

Wife has me grounded so I doubt I will get in much trouble for
awhile. Maybe. But then again, she is going out of town for
a few days next week.

Well it is good to know you will heal over time. I think we ought to get you a t-shirt that says " Adult Supervision Required". Take care

Kevin

I have sprayed the bitten areas with deep woods off after the bitin began and it shut them down big time. Sometimes it does have a little burn to it, but better than the itchin.

Originally Posted By: 5194Well it is good to know you will heal over time. I think we ought to get you a t-shirt that says " Adult Supervision Required". Take care

Kevin

Wife got me a shirt awhile back that says "Can't fix stupid".
She knows.

Originally Posted By: bigbird243I've found that Witch Hazel helps dry those critters up quickly. You can find it at about any drug store.

We stock pile witch hazel.
Rubbing alcohol burns better.

A good cold case of Coors Light will help relieve the itching to. Those RED BUGS eat me up if I forget to spray before getting in the tall weeds also. Good luck heal up fast.
Daryl

Mix salt in with your vinegar next time then put it on the bites. Works wonders for poison ivy. Might have the same effet with this. Worth a shot.

Originally Posted By: GCI told you how to prevent that from happening... permanone. What is the old saying... "you can lead a horse to water...?"

I always make sure I spray the inside of the cuff of my pants also.

Back