Caring for my RCBS Single Stage Rock Chucker Supreme Press?

d2admin

Administrator
I've been using my single stage press a couple years now and it is developing a little rust spots on the silver surfaces of the tube that goes up and down when working the handle. Squeeks a little too. Although my basement has a dehumidifier it still gets humid sometimes in the summer. How should I be caring for my press to prevent and remove these issues. Thank you.

Since I'm a G96 user on guns, I just give the ram and pivot points a little shot of the same from time to time. Big thing is to keep dirt, etc off it so moisture doesn't have a place to collect and begin it's fun. A little fine steel wool and G96 will work wonders on that light rust.

Originally Posted By: travjcbetter than nothing. Whatever you do don't use wd40! It turns to varnish.

I learned that the hard way...

CLP works well. Or MobilOne synthetic.

Anything that will keep a film instead of evaporating. Then I throw an oily towel over it to keep the dirt off.

Use 0000 steel wool and get the rust off. Lots of oil will protect. Lube the shaft with a heavy grease, will protect from wear also.

Originally Posted By: 17FireballI've been using my single stage press a couple years now and it is developing a little rust spots on the silver surfaces of the tube that goes up and down when working the handle. Squeeks a little too. Although my basement has a dehumidifier it still gets humid sometimes in the summer. How should I be caring for my press to prevent and remove these issues. Thank you.

Sounds like to me your just not using it enough!!
thumbdown.gif

Any decent gun lube or general purpose oil should work. I don't trust clp - one size does not fit all in shoes, hats, socks, or gun cleaners/lubricants. I use Weapon Shield on most gun related stuff. It works great on the press as well.

I also have some old home brew lube that's a mix of 5w-40 synthetic motor oil and moly paste. I use the home brew stuff as an assembly lube for mc engines. Works on things like presses as well.

Originally Posted By: 17FireballWhat are the "links"?

The two side arms that make the long thingie in the middle, go up and down
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: KlrDrvr I use Weapon Shield on most gun related stuff. It works great on the press as well.

Well, yeah, that's what I'm using as well. It never loses the film. I'm pretty sure Break Free CLP is good to go, also.
Anything that works here will work anywhere short of the Amazon jungle.
cry.gif

Back