Anyone want to try calling bears?

Scalloper

I have hunted bears for almost 20 years here in Maine but I have never tried calling. The season here opens Aug 27th- Oct 31. PM me if any of you experenced callers want to give it a shot. We are loaded up with them.

The best time here is a week or two after the fall feeding frenzy starts. The last one came in on a simple cottontail call. blue

Last edited:
I called one in a few years ago used the primos hot dog and used just the tip so it was a high pitched squeal they arent for the faint of heart though, he came from about 600 yards out and closed to 20 in a minute. Pretty much scared the crap out of me, I have tried it on other bears and they took off some bears are more aggressive than others. It works better when you have one spotted and need to get them closer never tried to blind call one. I bow hunt for them mostly so I want them close. Good luck to you.

I have thought of trying to call a bear. Seems, like it could get real interesting. Here in NC I would have to use hand calls as electronics are legal for crows and coyotes only.

If hand calling bears is any tougher than calling coyotes, I am in for a tough row to hoe. As my success calling coyotes has been very limited. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or just not doing it right. I'm not getting "busted" that I know of, so, I might just be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Originally Posted By: drhartIf you weren't all the way across the country, I'd be interested. I think that would be a rush.
I think so too. A guy from Washington sent me some PM's on calling he says "be ready because most that he has shot are 30' or closer"

I have a Wildlife Tech E-Caller with bear vocals but I have yet to try it. Seems like the cub in distress might be worth a shot as I have seem large males chasing cubs while on stand.

We've been having some luck, buddy of mine has quite the video collection going on now. He's hoping to make a sale here real soon.

In a couple of weeks, hope to be hitting it hard, even more to be getting my boys out...haven't had much time this summer to do much, but fall is coming.

Originally Posted By: littletoesWe've been having some luck, buddy of mine has quite the video collection going on now. He's hoping to make a sale here real soon.

In a couple of weeks, hope to be hitting it hard, even more to be getting my boys out...haven't had much time this summer to do much, but fall is coming.
By all means PM me when its for sale. Thanks

Back