Montana Rifle Company actions.....

still nope on real life experience, but im waiting on the mini actions to get finished, have plans for a 20 Practical build on there action.

It would be interesting to compare the quality of one of the factory Montana actions to one bought from them directly for a custom build......

I sold several dozen of the Cz model 3's six years ago when I got them on closeout. They were built by Montana Rifle using their 1999 action. Pretty much model 70 clones with a couple small changes. Yes the receivers are investment cast by Pinetree castings (a ruger co).

I took one of them to Africa, a 300wsm. It was the most difficult rifle I've ever had to find an accurate load for. Finally did get good accuracy with Federal premium 180tsx's.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, filmit.

I have been impressed with the plain actions that I've seen recently, which is what I'd be buying. On the other hand, I've heard varying thoughts from good to fair to horror stories about some of their barrels from people who have used them, so I'll pass on that part and go with a proven barrel maker. In addition, the actions I have seen recently are much better in terms of overall metal finish from what was on the CZ rifles.

Several years ago I bought one of the same CZ rifles that you mentioned in your post and it was ho-hum for good accuracy, but it was serviceable for a hunting rifle. I traded it off a couple of years ago.

Thanks again.

i have a model 3 CZ in 300wsm. i bought it to replace a kimber 84 classic select that no matter what i did, i could not get it to shoot better than a 5 shot 1.5" or so group. numerous powders, numerous bullets, numerous loads, primers, seating depth etc... just could not get it to shoot close to moa. i sold it off. the CZ i bought to replace it is not as highly refined, and is not even bedded, and the trigger is not as nice as the kimber was. BUT the CZ would put all my different loads into a smaller group than the kimber would with one load. i got easily sub-minute groups with the CZ, and it only took one powder and one bullet, and 1 trip to the range.

Back