savage 11 trophy hunter xp

eddieg

Hey guys im new to coyote hunting and need a good gun to start out with. Im on a budget and cant spend more than $550. I want a 223 and thought the savage 11 trophy hunter xp is a good choice. If anybody has shot it or has any other suggestions please tell me. Thanks-eddie

Last edited:
Remington,howa,stevens,ruger all can be bought at that price but do you want new or used.I have shot one in 308 not a big fan felt cheap to me but also I'm not a big savage fan so take it for what it is worth.

I want a new one. i know ruger and remington make good guns but i dont know much about howa. do they make good accurate rifles?

Yes they do had a 22-250 heavy barrel-shot real well. Sold it; stupid move. Other guys will tell you the same thing.The one I had the action was butter smooth.Only thing I did not care for the hoge stock.Did't care for how sticky it was.

Savage model 11 trophy hunter in .243, comes with a Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff. Retails for 499.99. 58gr v-max for coyotes and 100gr projectiles for whitetail and hogs, best of both worlds.

Chupa

The savage package model 11 .243 is $379 in this area and while i own a bunch of .223's i would go with the model 11 .243 over the .223, simply because it gives you more options when hunting and much more range. blue

I bought the exact combo, except for it being left-hand for $525 OTD. The rifle is a good shooter and the package scope is worth keeping. I love the Accutrigger and detachable magazine. All my other Savages are internal box and it can be a hassle loading and unloading the mag. I highly recommend this package. You may want to consider .22-250 and .243 also- they are available in the same package.

Other rifles to consider are the Stevens 200 for about $300 and then buy your preferred scope and do a trigger tuning. Also the Model 11 Hunter package is inexpensive, but the scope is not very good and you would have to do a trigger job also. The Stevens has an internal box and the Hunter has the detachable mag. I believe that both these rifles have the same trigger that comes on the Axis. BTW, the Axis sells for $267 at the local WalMart.

Last edited:
I'm going to agree with Chupa and Blue on this one. I bought the Nikon savage 11 243 package in a lefty, which is what I wanted from Cheaper than dirt, with only 10.00 shipping...what a deal... and then I sold all my right handed 243 rifles. I own 223, 22-250, like most others do... but my main focus at this moment is working up a load with this 243 and 58ga vmaxes... she's a shooter at 3850 fps.

BUT....this same rifle should be a real winner in 223 as well.

Thanks for all the help everybody. I think ill get the package in 223 because i already have a deer rifle in 270. They have it on sale at bass pro now. ill look at som howas there too. thanks for the advice- ed

Back