22.250 bullet

rnream

I have never shot a 22.250 and i bought one, a howa. What is a good bullet, factory loads and also to reload what is a good load. Shooting coyotes, fix, badgers and maybe lions. any help is appreciated.

Same here 50gr nosler bt and imr4064. With this load I get the exact same tiny groups as the hornady superformance useing the 50gr v-max fired from the same rifle.

Last edited:
Give the 52 Gr Sierra MK a shot for accuracy shooting and also they will do the job on Sage Rats and P-Dogs.

For yotes I would use the 63 Gr Sierra SMP if I was to use my 22-250 for yotes. It did the job on a forked horn Mule Deer one year. This bullet has shot under 1/2 MOA @ 100 YDS from my rifle but can not say how accurate it will shoot at longer yardages as I have not tested them at other than 100 YDS.

Good luck.

I prefer the .243 Cartridge for coyotes. Not that it is superior to the 22-250, It is just what "I" prefer.

DAB

Originally Posted By: rnreamI have never shot a 22.250 and i bought one, a howa. What is a good bullet, factory loads and also to reload what is a good load. Shooting coyotes, fix, badgers and maybe lions. any help is appreciated.

I would give IMR-4007ssc and a Hornady 53gr V-max a whirl. Nasty good combo.

Anything sierra will do good. I prefer the 55gr hpbt gamekings butive recently tried the 60gr hp varminter and it has been real good for me so far. I use AR comp for powder. Imr 3031 has been good in the past for my bolt guns

64gr winchester power points. cat to left was killed with them. Where i hunt Bear, Cat and coyote may come to call. And I'm not shooting a 400lb bear with a 50gr varmit bullet. Blowing fist sized chunks off is not my goal.

My 250 is a 1 in 12, and it loves 52 Berger Match Target hollow points with Varget and Fed210 primers. I also just picked up some Sierra 55 Blitzkings. These have a better BC than most other .224 bullets out there for the 22-250, plus I want to make a little more splat on the ground-hogs I hunt.

I tried Varget and Reloader 15 powder both on my first day out and either would have been great, it just happened that the Varget load came together as a one-holer at the highest charge of either powder I had tried. 36.5 Varget w/52 Berger. These are traveling just over 3,600fps I believe.

Originally Posted By: rnreamI have never shot a 22.250 and i bought one, a howa. What is a good bullet, factory loads and also to reload what is a good load. Shooting coyotes, fix, badgers and maybe lions. any help is appreciated.

What is a fix and how big are they?

Try Sierra #1365 55 gr spbt and Hodgen's H380 in a book recommended load. H414 is a close powder substitute if you can't get the H380.
This load has been good to me for years. Not so terribly explosive, always works good.

I have had great accuracy w/ IMR 4064 and IMR 4895.

For bullets, try the 40 gr Sierra HP, and Speer 52 gr HP. The Sierra 55 and 60 gr. HPs for coyotes as well.

I have never [beeep] at a lion, but there consider the Speer 70 gr SP if you have a 1x12 twist or faster.

Scan_Pic0001.jpg

howa22-250.jpg

Howa 22-250 M1500 action - Win Brass, Fed gold primer, Varget 35.1, V-Max 55gr - 250 yrds -I couldn't be more pleased with 6 round group!

Back