arrow speeds by chronograph, not advertised

How do those shafts that are so light hold up as far as penetration goes when the distances get out there (conservation of momentum)? I have not tried to shoot an elk with a bow, so I have no real idea other than what I read. Do you get full passthroughs, and are you using fixed or mechanical heads? I understand that some states used to not allow mechanicals, but hasn't that changed? I have been out of it a little while... My hunting setup was normally 65 lbs (or 60 when cold, 70 when warmer or when I was feeling froggy). [/quote]

Bubba, going by the numbers he posted 355gr arrow at 300fps his kinnetic energy would be 70.962ftlbs.
Although his arrow is a little lighter than what I prefer for"(conservation of momentum)" at 70ftlbs it's packin' a punch and is capable.
My elk set up is exactly the same bow i use for whitetail. 384gr arrow, fixed blade, 315fps, 84.62 kinnetic.
The last elk I killed was the farthest I've shot, 37yards. The arrow passed through ribcage and stuck in the dirt 6 inches. Steep slope dirt wasn't too far past the bull. It was a huge bull, right at 400lbs packaged meat. I know this because I shot it on the second day of season and we were staying for the month or until all three of us tagged out. So I took the bull to town to be processed. Over the counter 6x6 that scored 331.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243Funny thing was I thought I shot plumb thru the target. Thanis for the heads up. I was thinking about switching from the velocity pro to the Hunter pro. I love the speed for the simple fact of yardage estimation error.

Yote, most of the time I run the XT Hunters. But every once in awhile I'll set up a bow and have to use the Velocity to get the 300 spine. The Velocity 300 weighs almost identical to the 7595 XT Hunter so I dont see much if any speed gain. Now if I could shoot the 400 or 500 velocity the 28 grain difference would be significant. The Pro's are nice but to be honest, most people dont shoot well enough to see the difference in accuracy from a .003 to a .001 straightness in a hunting set up. These days myself included.

I agree with you, I ran then numbers and I'd only gain 11 grains. When i was ordering my arrows I kept going between XT and PRO models wish I would of saved my money and went XT.

Shooting bear legeion 2012. 62 lb. 28" draw. 398 grain with tip. Hitting 276 fps. Plenty fast for me. It is accurate and easy to pull when cold

the numbers posted above sound more realistic to me based on what i have seen from advertised to reality.

the new bow madness just showed up. package deal already assembled. all i had to do was raise the front sight and i was dialed in. sure has a smooth draw and a defined wall. supposed to be set at the same draw weight as my old bow, but sure seems like it draws with less effort.
have not had the time to run some arrows over the chronograph, but seems quite fast.

only downside so far is that the arrows for my old bow are about 1" too short for this one. that sucks as i have 5 cut to length ready to go.

shooting a 2010 pse omen at 28/61, with a 462 grain arrow shooting 291 fps(strings and tune by johns customs)...thats screaming for the heavy of an arrow...it is perfectly matching with the 366 fps ibo speed(listed speed), but shooting a 157 grain over ibo arrow will slow it down of course...but it shoots plenty fast for me, and hits like a ton of bricks

Back