The ALL NIGHTER and nuttin to show for it!

Dead Down Wind

Yep we did the all nighter:-(

I loaded up my hunting rig with 2 cases of assorted BOOZE, 1 case of wine and headed East early in the day, i stopped off at 6 different ranches prior to meeting 5spd at the ranch we were to hunt Friday night into Saturday morning.

The ranches i stopped at were some of my better honey hole areas and i let the ranchers come out to my Jeep and asked them what they wanted too drink or share with their friends & family. The booze and wine is gone!!

I had small talk with all of them and they are always happy to shoot the Bull when anybody will listen, so, i obliged them all.

I got to the 20K acre ranch which in retrospect i believe we have hunted too hard prior to this all nighter, i sighted in the new Savage dead on at 100yds. It seems to me when i miss a Coyote i usually shoot over the shoulder so i decided dead on at 100.

It's now 5:30pm and 5spd is at the ranch waiting for me. Doug the Ranch manager was working on a piece of farm machinery and was waiting for his family to show up because they were having a family BBQ and is kids were going to do some roping. Friday night my girlfriend made Steak, Baked Potatoe's, Corn on the cob and salad. I took the meat scraps with me so i could give them to his dog(s) and he said sure as long as the dogs didnt fight over them so i had to keep them separated while they inhaled the beef.

Now it is 6pm and we head out the door, go to the first spot and we see 5 different coyotes wandering around the area we call the bowl, i spotted one of the coyotes about 800 yards away in some sage with a group of Antelope, he stood up because an Antelope buck was about 300 yards northeast of us blowing his freakin horn, coyote worked his way to the North never to be seen again and the group of Antelope came to investigate the Buck blowing his nose!

We then worked our way to the NE for an area we call the Pet shop, we call it this because it is prime Coyote habitat and the land owner does not allow hunting period! This area holds a lot of coyotes, we think they are fed Alpo and groomed by the landowner. I did a few howls and they lit up like gang busters. at least 3 different groups coming from Pet land and it got dark on us.

We then walked back to the rig and changed into our night time gear. 5spd carried the lights, i carried the rifle with the laser genetics nd3x50 sub zero, the krakatoa and a fanny pack with gatorade and snacks. We decided early on that to be safer at night with only 1 rifle and 1 person running the lights.

Unbenounced to 5spd i also put on my snake chaps so i could walk at ease for the next 8 hours in total darkness. Fortunately once again - NO SNAKES:)

Full moon and the coyotes were not very vocal once again, tried the Locator and Cals Siren to no avail, it seemed that 10 minutes after calling a few different groups would start up. We saw quite a few sets of eyes and nothing came or stopped within 300 yards of us and i am sure many more that we never saw the eyes.

It is now daylight and we have walked many miles, we did not drive anywhere that night and all was done while walking.
Just so you know i had purchased a new pair of boots prior to this outing and the socks i brought were lightweight material, the boots fit great and the socks were the problem because my feet sloshed around a little and i ended up with a TEXAS size blister on each foot under my ankle bone on the inside of my heels.

I will definatley wear thicker socks next time out.

Back to the story, it is now daylight and i decided my feet hurt enough so we got the jeep and off to looking for some freebie road coyotes.

Driving down the road and i have my eyes peeled for any unsuspecting Coyotes and what do i see? 5spd is bobbing his head like Monica Lewinsky, and then i see a Coyote walking around mousing a piece of prairie within some cattle.

I wake up sleeping beauty and say we got a coyote on your side, i stop about 200 yards down the road behind a hill, the wind is perfect, coming out of the South and we are North of the Coyote. We get our gear and off we go walking down the road, slowly coming around the hill were i first spotted the coyote. There it is, we then walk back 50 yards towards the jeep and crawl under the fence, we start crawling through the yucca's and i spot a 2nd coyote. they are about 300 yards out and we decide to wait for them to mouse around coming closer plus we had cattle in the background. Needless to say the one on the right mouses over a hill to the SW and the other is working his way into the cattle heading South. we did some Barks, challenges, pup scream and the star spangled banner to no avail. They both dissapeared and i was so tired and i think we may have been on the Pet Land so we scrap the stalk.

Come to find ot it was land i had permission on:-(

We then scratched each others heads in disbelief while walking back to the jeep.

We then drove around some more and spotted a Coyote pup (Dead) in the road that had been hit by a vehicle earlier in the day/night. It was probably 8 1/2 lbs and had a great coat on it.

We ended up seein 14+ coyotes, nothing coming close enough to the call so it is time to give this area a rest until the snakes are gone, it is now 11:30am, no sleep and off to Lakewood Colorado.

I went to bed last night at 6:30pm and i woke up @ 6:40am for work.

All in all it was a good Evening/Night/Day excursion and not a round fired from either of us.

One thing i can say is that the new Savage .243 is going to take a toll on the Yotes this Fall/Winter.

Happy Hunting all and stay safe!!

Kevin

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just sighted my rifle in dead on at 100, it's a Savage too. Scares the he!l outta me to think I have something in common with you!

Originally Posted By: SHamptonI just sighted my rifle in dead on at 100, it's a Savage too. Scares the he!l outta me to think I have something in common with you!

Hampt,

Now you a scaring me!!

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Originally Posted By: Dead Down Wind 5spd is bobbing his head like Monica Lewinsky,

^^^ THIS scares me!
scared.gif

Good recap of the nights adventure. Anybody that claims they kill a coyote every time out hasn't been out very many times or is lying.

I know you say you'll be giving em a rest till fall, but I'd bet against that. You got the fever. Got it BAD. I predict 2 weeks at the most.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotes
Dead Down Wind said:
5spd is bobbing his head like Monica Lewinsky,

^^^ THIS scares me!
scared.gif

Good recap of the nights adventure. Anybody that claims they kill a coyote every time out hasn't been out very many times or is lying.

I know you say you'll be giving em a rest till fall, but I'd bet against that. You got the fever. Got it BAD. I predict 2 weeks at the most.
lol.gif

Doggin,

I am going to get the Predator Patch! It is like the Nicotine patch for smokers, i am hoping it isn't too expensive.

[beeep] i might even get the gum too:)

I can say i did have some eyes in the scope and i was not 100% sure if it was a coyote, horse, cow or swift fox.

No positive ID = no shot!!!

I will get em next time, & when the Colorado DOW tells me it is now legal to use NV and Thermal, soon as they give the ok, i pull the trigger on some really cool toys for night hunting:)

Hey now so I was trying to keep my eyes open, but after 30hrs of no sleep and in the passengers side it was darn hard to stay awake. The eyes did not want to stay open and the seat is to comfortable.
We did see a lot, but as stated harder than heck to even get thier attention to want to come in closer.
Way to much food out there for them for easy catching, cottontail/ jackrabbits/ field mice & p-dogs galore on that ranch & water tanks all over for thirst.

I like how their is one landowner that grooms their coyotes and feeds them ALPO, there is always one like that...

thats shows once again that when their locked up, very little if anything will bring them in. the first night with Tony T we saw 13 and only 2 responded.

DD just wait till you get your thermal and NV you'll see a lot more the won't respond, LOL From now on when that happens I'll send lead down range, what the [beeep] at 300 yards they can't see me, might as well

Originally Posted By: SkyPupI like how their is one landowner that grooms their coyotes and feeds them ALPO, there is always one like that...
DDW & I always crack each other up with that statement when they are not coming to the call by said ranch.
Why would they when they get feed Alpo everyday, good watering holes to lay in when its hot and get scratched behind the ears by the rancher at that one place who says they are "his friendly coyotes".....hahahahahha

I've had alot of all-nighters that were blanks....ESPECIALLY on full moon nights. It's to the point now, that I won't even go night calling if it's a full moon. I made an exception for Phil and dealt with the slow responses from it.

Tony

TT,

I am in agreement with you on the full moon phase, never have i had any luck with hunting around a full moon. We could see our shadows from the moonlight and to be honest? It stunk! I am sure the coyotes could see us walking and moving around.

I was also wearing my snake chaps and they did rustle we i was walking. Very little wind and everything else was against us as well.

I am talking 2 months off to let the area cool down and let the pups get big and the educated coyotes to forget the sound of my calls.

C'mon cold weather:)

Kevin

Don't worry about the moving around or snake chaps rustling...they coyotes aren't moving anyways. I've had quite a few full moon nights, where we'd spot eyes in a mesquite bush, while on stand. After 15 minutes of calling, I would focus back on those eyes and give them the kitchen sink and burn it with the light....only to have a coyote stand up, yawn, stretch and walk the other way. This has happened 15 or more times in the past couple of seasons. I have hours of stories of non-responsive coyotes on full moon nights.

Tony

Originally Posted By: muledhunterMan I never have luck on the all nighters.... All i kill is about 3 energy drinks!! I've decided to no longer attempt them!

I think I killed 3 cans of Mountain Dew!

Back