Hunting, Family, and Success! (Pics)

Ursus21

My oldest son is now 22 years old and attending college. He's been along with me on many different hunts over the years. Here he is at a very young age holding my rifle right after I killed this coyote. It is one of my favorite photographs of him from when he was a child.
Aaroncoyote94copy.jpg

A couple years later when he was 6 years old he accompanied me on a bear hunting trip to Manitoba. This is the smallest bear I've ever taken, but one of the biggest and best hunting memories we have.
AaronBear.jpg

As he got older he was able to carry a rifle and hone his skills while hunting big game. Here he is with his little sister, along with a buck he killed on a cold, wet, rainy morning.
MuleDeerAaronDanielle-1.jpg

For a year or two he has wanted to come along with me and kill a called in coyote. Due to his college schedule and the fact he lives a couple of states away, those opportunities to call have been far too few. We have only been able to go out 3 or 4 times. Unfortunately all the stands have turned up dry. Such is the life of a coyote hunter. Here he is on a stand last year with me during one of his breaks.
AaronSept52011.jpg

As any avid coyote hunter knows the only way to success is to be persistent, and just keep going whenever you get the chance. Sooner or later, the stars will align and things will come together. I would like to add I've also taken my third oldest son and oldest daughter out several times to get them a coyote as well. While all the stands have not come up dry, luck just didn't work in our favor. None of my children have ever even taken a shot at a coyote let alone killed one. Frankly, a LOT of things have to go really-right for first time young coyote hunters to succeed. With that said, my oldest son (who is home on a short break before heading back to college), and I headed out into the field last Saturday evening. We snuck into our first calling location and ended up with nothing poking its head out and couldn't even raise a howl or anything. We had time for just one more stand before dark. So we hustled over to another section of the ranch, racing against the setting sun the whole way. We had to hike in a little over a half a mile and really had to hoof it. I was about half stressed we wouldn't make it in time to beat the sun going down. However we made good time and were able to get all set up. It was a perfect stand with the sun going down at our backs. We were leaned up against a large round hay bale and the wind was in our face. We also had a really good view all the way around us. Just after starting to call a pair of mule deer bucks (one of which was a definite shooter had the season been open) appeared on the ridge. I was using all coyote vocals and oddly enought those two crazy bucks came to us like on a string. They had to travel nearly 500 yards and ended up about 30 yards from us before they spooked. As those deer closed the distance I was constantly on alert scanning the area for a coyote. About the time the deer reached us a pack of coyotes to the East of us lit up the evening with a series of howls, they sounded close and just out of sight. This got our hearts racing. I was full well expecting one to show any second. Unfortunately they never showed, or possibly never had a chance to show, because just a few minutes after their howling things got even more exciting for us. Just as it was almost getting too dark to shoot, and with the occasional howl coming from our East, I spotted a coyote on the skyline trotting along to our West. She was on the complete opposite side of the field and from the area I least expected a coyote to show up from. (Isn't that the case about half the time?) When she showed I was in the middle of howling and throwing a few barks out there. She was running parallel to us. I quickly switched to a pup in distress and she made a right turn and came straight at us on a dead run. There's nothing like a hard charger to get one's heart in over drive. As she disappeared behind a round hay bale I told my son to hurry and get ready. He did, and suddenly she re-appeared boiling around the right side of the bale. I barked to try and get her to stop. She never slowed, but closed the distance a little more and then saw something she didn't like. She turned another 90 degrees and started to leave. I barked even louder and she paused for just a second, but that was all my son needed, he sent a 50gr Vmax through her shoulders at 103 yards. She went down like she had just been body slammed with a hammer. Normally I'm very quiet on a stand after killing a coyote, but this was the first of my children to finally get a coyote, and I couldn't contain myself. I let out a war cry that could likely be heard in 3 or more counties. My son and I had our own little celebration. Truth is, I'm usually very reserve and don't do the whole happy dance, first pound, jump up and down thing...but to heck with dignity, this success was a long time coming and I was happy. I was excited, happy, and glad there wasn't a video camera along as I'm sure I proved that this white boy can't dance, but it didn't stop me from trying. Was my son happy? Well I'll just let the look on his face in this photo speak for itself.
laugh.gif

AaronAdams1stCoyoteAug4.jpg

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That ^^ is what its all about! Congrats! You'll both remember that hunt for the rest of your lives. That's a great HOM nominee.

That is great. Exactly what I am looking foward to with a 5 year old daughter and 15 moth old son!!

I love these kinds of stories. I have a 14 month son that already has a lifetime hunting license and a .243 waiting for him.

Hi, I'm new to the board. My Dad is Ursus21 and that is me and my big brother in the photo with the mule deer buck. I was a lot younger then. I happy for my brother, but now I need to get a coyote!

Great memories and priceless family photos. Those are priceless times that pass far too quickly. (We've only got a few short years before college days are upon us for Kiz Jr. as well.) Thanks for sharing!

(I'd be interested to know what camo pattern that is too.)

And "WELCOME" to you Horsesandhunting!

Last edited:
SHampton and Miz Kiz (Love that name Miz Kiz!)

The camouflage is M2D camouflage and I have yet to find a better pattern for hunting in CRP, grasslands, prairie grass, or in the reeds while chasing ducks. As you can see in the photo of my son sitting by the barbed wire fence the stuff just blends in. It's hard to tell where his lower leg starts and stops with the grass around him. It's good stuff! I'd post a link, but I'm not sure the moderator will allow it so I won't. However a quick Google search for M2D camo will get you there pretty fast.

AMEN ! Awesome pics with an even better story, keep at it guys !
thumbup.gif

" As any avid coyote hunter knows the only way to success is to be persistent, and just keep going whenever you get the chance. Sooner or later, the stars will align and things will come together. " + 1 , Exactly... If at first you do not succeed- Try and Try again ! And it sure did pay off as you've showed us. Job well done ! Love it

Good job Troy. Its gonna take alot of hunting to top that day for you. I would bet you will have a story to post like this about Fred
smile.gif
before the season is up.

I haven't seen Aaron for a while, The poor kid is starting to look like his PA!
smile.gif

You are a blessed and lucky man Ursus 21! Great memories right there! I really enjoyed your write up and the great photos to go with it. That first photo of your son with his Mickey Mouse shirt on is priceless to a Father! Thanks for sharing!

Ursus.. these hunts will last forever for you and the boys. i well remember my sons fist gun and hunt with it. 410. he stel has it. my dad gave me my first 20ga 65 years ago. i still have it. the guns and hunts with my dad and son are priceless. i can see the love you have for your family. keep up the good work.

That is what it is all about. That is one of life's great moments. I reacted the same way when my son shot his first coyote and mule deer last year. He accomplished both in the same year.

I hope that his success will fuel both his and your other kids love and desire of hunting. Thanks for sharing with us.

HOM nomination.

Back