Magnum Research Ammo Warning

I was at the local Scheels and saw a Mag Research 22WMR on the shelf and so I picked it up to take a peek at it. It said only use 40 or 50 grain bullets, do not use 30 grain bullets so I went to the website and sure enough. "This rifle is designed to shoot 40 grain and 50 grain ammo ONLY. Firing 30 grain ammo will void the warranty." Why do you suppose that is? 30 grain has more pressure or what? I have one of these rifles but have never shot the 30 grain in it although I do have a box of the 30 grain ammo I bought to try out but now I am very nervous about that.

I've shot, 30gr vmax, and 33gr rem premiers and never had a problem. This is the first I've heard about the recall. I was planning on switching to Winchester 40gr anyways.

Thanks for the heads up.

Simple solution:

I called Magnum Research and asked their technical support.

Their response was that the warranty has nothing to do with safety or damage to the weapon, and that "firing 30grn ammo will void the warranty" was 'poor wording'.

The recoil springs in these rifles are meant to cycle with 40-50grn loads, and 30grn loads often do not cycle properly. Rather than "guaranteeing" their rifle will cycle with any WMR load out there (i.e., the warranty around sure-function), they basically say "this rifle is not meant to cycle with 30grn ammo, so if it DOESN'T cycle, we're not obligated to fix it". If the rifle wouldn't cycle properly with 40-50grn ammo, they WOULD however, warranty the rifle and willingly correct the issue.

So no, it's nothing you should worry about, it just means they won't do warranteed repairs to get your rifle to reliably cycle 30grn fodder.

Thanks for checking. I was thinking I would send an email if I didn't hear something. I agree the wording is somewhat deceptive isn't it.

On another note, anyone ever supressed one of these guns? That WMR has a snap to it and is hard on the ears.

Thanks for updating us Varminterror! To me it makes sense what they told you. I saw that label a while back it definitely made me wonder. Thanks for calling though and letting us know.

I ran my MR suppressed... I honestly prefer my 77/22 mag (bolt) much more with the can on. Way quieter. I think it is because the MR has a gas block. The Volquartsen does not have a gas block on their 22 mags. The MR is a nice rifle though. Mine was very accurate and it ran fine with the 30 grainers. I bought mine used and have no idea how much it was fired before. It killed a pile of raccoons. I just prefer the 77/22 mag more with a can on.

Back