Crow VS. Pellet gun

longbeard

I have read a few posts on here where people are talking about shooting crows with a pellet gun. On said the crow was out almost 100 yards. i was wondering what kind of pellet gun will shoot that far and have enough power to kill a crow. How many FPS. are they shooting. I have been looking at the Gamo 1000 fps air guns any good?

I'll tell you what I have, an RWS model 36 in .177 caliber. I have personally taken a crow at about 40-45 yards with this gun. I would call this the maximum or just beyond maximum for this gun.

If you are truely going to hunt with an air rifle, I think .20 and .22 caliber is better. My RWS is a springer and could by no means reach 100 yards effictively. I think a true 100 yard air rifle would be a pre-charged type, but I am not familiar with those at all.

I have personally never shot a Gamo, but some of the die hard air rifle guys don't seem to like them much. But that may be one of those Leuplod, Ziess, Tasco, type debates where some people will spend $1000 on a scope to shoot squirrels 50 yards away.

BillB thanks for the info. Have you ever used the polymer tiped hollow pointed pellets. I see them in Cabelas and they look like they would work good.

I was the one that made the post abot 100yd air guns and thay are very capable of dispatching a
crow at that range and 3/4inch groupsat 100yds
of a rest are the norm. The gun is a crow magnum
and it pushes a 14.5gr crosman premair @1163fps
as a mater of fact I have just shot my 12th
racoonwith it (just now ) in my back yard it was a 56yd head shot and he only needed one shot.
this coon was about 14lbs give or take a pound
......thees guns are not cheep but they shure are
worth it....as a matter of fact me and a friend are building four of them and are just trying to
get some Canadian gov. clearence ........thay should be in the 40-45 ft pound range... hope this helps
Jonathan

Where can you get one of those guns. And about how much do they cost. I am use to the crossman 760 power masters with 600fps. It is hard to believe that a pellet gun would have more power than a .22. I would like to get one because where I live I can't shoot a gun at my house and I have lots of crows and squirrels. Thanks for the reply.

long beard
There are much more powefull guns than that but for this one you should check out the Theoben web
site also check out the RWSsite there are air guns that can take deer sized game at 200yd no kiding .......$$$$$$$$the crow magnum is about2.000bucks canuk delivered.....ouch ...Jonathan

I've hunted/sniped with airguns (seriously) for the past 10yrs. With a daisy 10-pumper and scope I've taken dozens if not a hundred fox squirrels at yardages out to 40. Have also nailed a crow at 20yds with same rifle. The class of air rifle that you're looking into (1,000fps in the .177) is a good choice but there are many arguments and points to consider when comparing the calibre's and propelling systems. I have a cheap gamo 220 that has taken several coon up to the 20lb category, also crow and gobs of squirrels. It's accurate enough for what I use it for. You can get much better than the gamo for a bit more money but you wont find a more fun gun for the price. I have a 10/22 to fill the gaps.

Perf

longbeard,
The RWS rifle I have is a old model 38 (spring) and I can tell you right now that it will shoot a 17 cal. pellet to 200 yards and maybe a little more. The rifle is rated at 1100 fps, which it did do that when I first got it, but after 500 rounds thru it, it was down to 925 fps. Now after 8 years it is holding around 875 fps.

After the first 500 rounds, I dropped a couple drops of "spring oil" into the chamber and checked the velocity. What a surprise, the velocity jumped up to 1200 fps, but this only lasted for 2 shots, then it was backed down to normal.

I have probably shot around 150 crows with this .17 cal., but they were mostly at 35 yards from my house.

I might also mention that if you really want a good air rifle, one that will last you a long time and be trouble free, then go with either a RWS or Beeman. Some one mention the Crow Magnum here, I think that will be my next air gun, it looks like a dandy.

HEY FOR THE GUYS WHO DON'T HAVE A AIR RIFLE JUST A .22 TRY THESE BULLETS FOR THE .22 THERE CALLED CB LONGS FROMM CCI THEY COME OUT OF THE GUN JUST AROUND 1000 FPS BUT YOU CAN HARDLY HEAR THE GUN GO OFF!!!!!!!! I MEAN TWICE AS QUIET AS ANY QUIET AIR RIFLE JUST ASK THE 400 DEAD SQUIRELLS THAT LITTER THE WOODS JUST BEHIND THE HOUSE, THEY KEEP TRYING TO MOVE IN WITH ME AND WELL YOU CAN FIGURE OUT THE REST. OH YA ADD A 3-9 SCOPE ON IT TO!!! CITY BOY!!!! "THE ONLY GOOD TREE RAT IS A DEAD ONE"

I have a number of airguns and have been hunting for many years with them. Yes, there are air guns that can reach out to 100yds, and quite accurately. The Career 707 is a fine precharged airgun. This gun comes in .177,.20,.22,.25 and 9mm!

To see what airguns are really capable of, I'd suggest that you pick up a copy of Airgun Illustrated Magazine. All the info that you need can be found in there. The new issue is out now, and Ted Nugent is on the cover!

Also, it sounds like the airgun that you're looking for would be a Beeman R-9 (a spring airgun). These guns are great, and there are alot of after market things for them. They have adjustable triggers, Beech stocks and good bluing with match grade barrels.

Don't forget that although velocity is important, hitting the target is the name of the game. you'll find that the more velocity that a spring gun has, the more it vibrates and kicks. Yes, airguns do kick, not like a firearm mind you, but with a two way recoil.

The airgun will first come back into your shoulder after the trigger is pulled, then it learches foward from the piston rebounding off the air cushion that is created by the pellet in the breech. A spring airgun will last for literally thousands of rounds with little maintenence.

Pre charged guns are more costly and require a scuba tank or a special pump and filling adaptors. I would suggest a good spring gun to start, and then moving up if you like the sport.

The Crow Magnum is a gas spring gun that has , what is essentially, an airshock, for its power source. The "airshock" or "airpiston" is filled with air and then put into the gun at the factory. The air takes the place of the spring, which means you don't have to worry about spring wear. But, sometimes the seal on the air piston will fail, which then requires an airgunsmith to repair it.

Like I said, check out the Airgun Illustrated Magazine, and if anyone needs anymore help just ask. Dante'

Back