Mossberg 223

iowadogdown

Does anyone have a mossberg ssi-one? I just picked one up in 223. Wanting to know a little info about what additional barrels are worth and how accuracy has been for people.

Thanks
Travis

Originally Posted By: iowadogdownDoes anyone have a mossberg ssi-one? I just picked one up in 223. Wanting to know a little info about what additional barrels are worth and how accuracy has been for people.

Thanks
Travis

Travis, bought a Mossberg SSI in .308 about 5 years ago from a Gander Mtn store that had about 6 of them on clearance....think my final price was around $230 for it. Based on info from a Gander employee who worked there when it was first introduced, I learned Mossberg only made the rifle for little over a year and suddenly ceased its production and sold all its remaining unused parts and machinery for production to some other company. Employee had called Mossberg trying to obtain a SSI part for a customer and was told this....Mossberg person refused to reveal who bought everything. Gander guy was surprised by Mossberg discontinueing the rifle. The rifle had sold quite well for them. It was priced between a New England break action single shot Handi rifle and the Thompson break action rifle. Barrels on the Mossberg were supposedly interchangeable and part of the SSI selling point was Mossberg barrels in other cartridges would be available. But they never were.

Mine shoots fairly accurately (around a 1" 100yd group) and the few times I've taken the rifle to range to shoot, it has caused fellow shooters to ask me about it. Only gripe I have about the rifle is the trigger pull on it leaves a lot to be desired. Can recall doing some internet research on the rifle on various gunsites and did find an occassional post about the SSI and improving the trigger pull. However, no one ever explained what they did to the trigger. Never could find an explanation on how to disassemble the trigger group on the rifle. Asked a gent who has worked on firearms for over 40 years to see if he could do something with the trigger pull. He ended up taking the rifle to a licensed gunsmith friend to show it to him and seek his advice. LOL, neither one wanted to attempt a trigger job, they'd never seen the rifle before and were somewhat perplexed with its trigger assembly, removal and etc.

Anyway, you should have a problem finding another barrel for your rifle and have no idea on what price would be for one if you do find one.

Back