Is scent away hunting laundry detergent a must or a scam?

Originally Posted By: Vermonter 60I just wash my clothes in bacon grease.
lol.gif

WORD!

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorI don't buy into any of the hype. Between hunting experience, and professional knowledge as a chemical engineer that's done some work in that area, I really just don't buy it. All of it sounds great in theory, but the PRACTICAL advantage is moot.

Scent killer: anything that would ACTUALLY capture your scent would be consumed within minutes of application.

Scent Cover: Polish a turd, all you have is a purty turd.

Ever have a roommate in college that would go work out, then go on a date without showering, and just rub on fresh deodorant and spray down with cologne? That's how I feel about scent cover and scent killer. Yeah, you'll smell the cologne, but it smells like a smelly guy covered in cologne.

As far as the UV "glow" goes, if you use the RIGHT amount of detergent (about 1/3-1/2 of the recommended amount), and your washer drain isn't plugged, and you don't hunt under blacklight, you will NEVER glow.

The advertisements look very dramatic, when they show "ours vs. theirs" under blacklight, but remember, that's under HIGH INTENSITY UV WITH NO OTHER LIGHT SOURCE. With ambient UV under natural lighting conditions, i.e. the UV intensity is no greater than that of the other light frequencies.

Think about how blacklight/UV illumination happens on those CSI shows, or for your hippy roommate in college. When the lights are on, everything looks normal, but when you shut off the lights, the UV "reactive" stuff really shines. Under balanced light intensity, you won't notice anything, it's only when the UV intensity is overpowering the broadspectrum light frequencies that you will see a glow.

In layman's terms, no you WILL NOT GLOW to a coyote.

The single best discussion on the topic you will EVER read.

I used to use the detergent, the scent blocker and cover scents. Now I don't. And it hasn't made one bit of difference (except in my wallet).

I usually end up smelling like cotton candy perfume (stripper) and whiskey (drunk stripper) early Saturday mornings.

Seems to work, just look at my posts......

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYArm and Hammer baking soda for clothes wash. Big bag is real cheap and no smell. I had deer nearly walk into me while using it. I store the camo in it with a sprinkle in the clear plastic bag. It takes the odors out of the freezer and your clothes.
wink.gif

+1 here
been doing that for years,cant think of a time any deer have busted me,unless i move.

cant bet coyotes nose,if the get down wind your busted.

My argument has always been, what could you put on a ripe road kill skunk that would mask it's scent? I believe that's how vivid we smell to a coyote.

With coyotes and deer I believe it makes a huge difference if their territory is remote or if humans are a regular scent in urban areas. If they frequent barns and areas where humans are, their tolerance is much greater. They still scent you at a great distance but they have learned it's a necessary risk to survive.

I was he first to respond, and I opened with a very timid response, because, to be frank, I have had this debate before and it has went no where and I wasn't in the mood to make 7 pages of posts defending my position. But given the replies here's what I really think.
Don't waste your money on the scent killer products. Honest'y. just don't.
I use scent free tide, and only because I'm allergic to perfume, and nothing more.
After many many years hunting coyotes, I'm of the opinion of, smell like what ever you want.
Go out drinking the night before, smoke a cigar on the stand, put on some colonge for your date after the hunt. [beeep] carry around an open bottle of Islay scotch, it won't matter.
Now I say it won't matter not because scent control isn't important, but because it doesn't matter what you do.
If the wind is blowing from you to the coyote, you could wrap your self in scent control garbage bags, after using the body wash, the laundry soap, and the deodorant, and it won't matter at all. That coyote will smell you.
If the wind is blowing away from the coyote, then it still won't matter, he can't smell stuff that's blown away from you.
Now keep in mind I say this, fully convinced the coyotes nose is one of the finest analytical interments on the planet. And also you can ruin a stand just with your scent. I'm just saying their nose is so good there is no way you can possibly fool it with any sort of scent control.
But you can fool it by setting up your stands properly. And I stand firmly by the opinion you can smoke a cigar, and call coyotes, so long as you play the wind right.

Originally Posted By: CraigI was he first to respond, and I opened with a very timid response, because, to be frank, I have had this debate before and it has went no where and I wasn't in the mood to make 7 pages of posts defending my position. But given the replies here's what I really think.
I use scent free tide, and only because I'm allergic to perfume, and nothing more.
After many many years hunting coyotes, I'm of the opinion of, smell like what ever you want.
Go out drinking the night before, smoke a cigar on the stand, put on some colonge for your date after the hunt. [beeep] carry around an open bottle of Islay scotch, it won't matter.
Now I say it won't matter not because scent control isn't important, but because it doesn't matter what you do.
If the wind is blowing from you to the coyote, you could wrap your self in scent control garbage bags, after using the body wash, the laundry soap, and the deodorant, and it won't matter at all. That coyote will smell you.
If the wind is blowing away from the coyote, then it still won't matter, he can't smell stuff that's blown away from you.
Now keep in mind I say this, fully convinced the coyotes nose is one of the finest analytical interments on the planet. And also you can ruin a stand just with your scent. I'm just saying their nose is so good there is no way you can possibly fool it with any sort of scent control.
But you can fool it by setting up your stands properly. And I stand firmly by the opinion you can smoke a cigar, and call coyotes, so long as you play the wind right. I agree 100%

If I'm going out Hunting I usually take a shower with the scent-free soap,then I go outside and put on my Camo Clothes that has been washed in scent-free soap and dried in either earth scented dryer sheets or hang dried outside naturally.

Then I spray down with the Scent-killer spray,and I wear rubber boots and spray them down also.I try to stay as scent-free as possible....will it be 100% effective?Probably not but I try to do as much as possible to keep from being detected.

During Deer Season I'm even more cautious about my scent and have had Deer walk right up past me without them knowing I was even there....and each year that I have been working on keeping scent-free as possible I have shot a nice Buck...so it has to help to some degree!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CraigI was he first to respond, and I opened with a very timid response, because, to be frank, I have had this debate before and it has went no where and I wasn't in the mood to make 7 pages of posts defending my position. But given the replies here's what I really think.
But you can fool it by setting up your stands properly. And I stand firmly by the opinion you can smoke a cigar, and call coyotes, so long as you play the wind right.

...You can also fall asleep in your hide, and wake-up with them within arms reach..er, uh.... So I've heard
wink.gif

I've hunted coyotes in Kansas for years and have used Scent Away products religiously. When washing camos I make sure to rinse the washer tub first before using the Scent Away soap and I pack my camos after spraying them in plastic sealed storage bags. I admit that you will never completely fool a coyotes nose, but I do believe these products help. My greatest discovery in regard to scent control was when I started using the scent wafers. I pin a few on my camos and the cover scent does make a difference. Of course, I use the wind in my favor in approaching and setting up stands. I've been hunting coyotes for over 4 decades and my success ratio is 3 to 4 yotes per 10 stands and I think, with that success, I'm at the top of my game. Additionally, 90% of my coyote kills are within 100 yards and many in shotgun range, so I must be doing something right. Like they say..."if it aint broke, don't fix it".

I recently watch a television show in which a gentlemen sprayed down with scent killers then put on a ScentLok suit and attempted to hide from a dog. The man hid in one of numerous boxes. The dog picked him out every time very quickly.
Human scent can be reduced but never eliminated IMO. The best defense is to stay downwind of an approaching critter be it a whitetail or predator.

Originally Posted By: ScotI've hunted coyotes in Kansas for years and have used Scent Away products religiously. When washing camos I make sure to rinse the washer tub first before using the Scent Away soap and I pack my camos after spraying them in plastic sealed storage bags. I admit that you will never completely fool a coyotes nose, but I do believe these products help. My greatest discovery in regard to scent control was when I started using the scent wafers. I pin a few on my camos and the cover scent does make a difference. Of course, I use the wind in my favor in approaching and setting up stands. I've been hunting coyotes for over 4 decades and my success ratio is 3 to 4 yotes per 10 stands and I think, with that success, I'm at the top of my game. Additionally, 90% of my coyote kills are within 100 yards and many in shotgun range, so I must be doing something right. Like they say..."if it aint broke, don't fix it". When you get in the vehicle to go to the next stand how do you keep from contaminating your clothes and boots?

Back