Boyds Gunstocks ??

I have 3 Boyd's stocks. One is a Boyds Evolution stock on a 10/22, LOVE it. It's a pretty spacey looking baracuda style skeleton stock, absolutely love it. The 2nd is on a Savage Mark II BSEV .22lr, the exact same stock, different inletting.

The third is a featherweight thumbhole on a Ruger M77 Mark II .30-06. A horse fell on me a few years ago and broke my factory stock, so I needed a quick, cheap replacement, and I've been really happy with this Boyd's stock. Naturally I had to do some finishing inletting, especially to pillarblock and glass bed the action, but that's a given for any rifle stock.

I'm a big fan of thumbhole stocks. They're not as comfortable slung over your shoulder, but they certainly do point more naturally.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun The 2 Boyds I bought had the worst inletting of anything I have ever seen. Maybe they are better at it now, not sure.

I think they might be.
I bought a Boyds 98% about ten years ago that needed so much work I seriously thought about throwing it the wood stove and carving one from a 2X4 with my pocket knife. Would have saved allot of work if I had.

Ten years later the bad taste subsided so I tried another on a SPS "Budget Build" I'm in the middle of, and was pleasantly suprised. Needed a little work in the bolt handle area but not bad. Also the Lazer checkering was far better than I'd expected.
Some pillars and a little MarineTex, and I'm happy as a clam (for now anyway).
005-3.jpg

007-2.jpg

Only Laminated stock I have is one of Darrel Holland's pieces, and I can tell ya, it is one NICE stock.

RePete- Your rifle looks very nice. About the only reason I've been looking at the laminates is there about the only thing a fellow can get without a long wait. I don't mind the TH stocks, have one on a Remmy XR-100 and like it. Rather have a varmint composite, just can't seem to run one down.

Thanks PD
I was going for a classic thing with this one so the Walnut Boyds fit the bill nicely.
It started life as a 223 but after some testing to make sure the barrel was worth messing with, it's now at the smiths getting a blueprint job and the barrel set back and rechambered to 222Rem.
How's that for "Classic"?
smile.gif

Laminate's pretty heavy, but mine's a single shot 700 in 17Rem that only gets carried from the truck to the Gopher shooting bench and as you can see, that ain't very far.
DSCF6072.jpg

Never owned a TH so I can't comment.
Luck

Originally Posted By: RePeteI think they might be. I bought a Boyds 98% about ten years ago that needed so much work I seriously thought about throwing it the wood stove and carving one from a 2X4 with my pocket knife. Would have saved allot of work if I had.

That was my experience also. For the relatively cheap price, it was no bargain. Next one was no better. Lots of work. Then it ended up warping in the cold and the laminate pulling apart on the tip of the forend. That was pretty much all I needed to see to turn me off from Boyds forever. That and the fact that I don't prefer laminates anyway.....

Don't blame ya.
There's no reason laminated wood should come apart.
Heck, the fruit bowl I made in high school wood shop (yea,,, back when lathes were steam powered) is still stuck togeather.

I like the Holland Lam my 17Rem's in, but doubt that I'll buy another laminated stock. I'm over em.
I would buy another Holland stock though, if he just made em in Walnut

Quote:(yea,,, back when lathes were steam powered)...Charlie, you were really privileged...We had to operate ours with a foot treadle...
rolleyes.gif

I have a Boyd's Laminate on my .308 and the only problem I've had was the cheek comb was too high to allow my bore guide to enter the rear of the receiver...I had to Dremel out a small channel for it..

I have a Boyds varmint stock on a Howa that was marketed as the Supreme Varminter I believe.

Heavy stock with a high comb and palm swell, but it sure is comfortable to shoot lots of rounds out of out in the PD field.

The detail is less than perfect with some imperfections in the "air vents" under the barrel, but cleaned up easily. Other than that though, no complaints.

I don't like though that just about anything they sell these days that supports a varmint barrel contour is thumbhole.

Freinds, brothers, and I have purchased probably a dozen or more of Boyd's laminates for Rem and Rugers over the past 5 years. We have had nothing but great service and the stocks were wonderful...I am pretty picky.

what ever issues they had have obviously been worked out.

Originally Posted By: RePete
Heck, the fruit bowl I made in high school wood shop (yea,,, back when lathes were steam powered) is still stuck togeather.

Oh C'mon now, really.

Was steam invented that long ago.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Coyotejunki

Was steam invented that long ago.
smile.gif

Hey, watch it!!!
mad.gif

Truth is, it might have been pre steam, but it was definatly after fire was discovered.

I can tell you that I do like their stocks, or at least the one that I just bought 6 months ago, but I was NOT impressed with their staff. I called to ask some questions about their stocks and I had a younger gentleman answer the phone. Every question that I asked was countered with a response of "I don't know". All he could tell me about the stocks was the price and NOTHING else. I took a chance anyway after a lot of looking and listening to other satisfied customers. I am glad that I did, but Boyds definitely needs to improve in some areas.

Back