Savage?????

DriftingOkie

Looking for a new rifle chambered in .223.
I am looking at a Savage package deal. There are three models that I am looking at.

1. Model 11/111 Trophy hunter XP

2. Model 11/111 Hunter XP

3. Axis XP

The trophy hunter has the accutrigger and a Nikon scope. $468
The hunter has a regular trigger and a Bushnell scope. $390
Axis has regular trigger and the web site does not say what brand of scope.

Just wondering if the Nikon scope and the acutrigger is worth the $80 difference?

And I dont know what to think about the Axis. What do you all think of it?

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks

The Nikon and AccuTrigger are worth the differance. I'm still undecided on the AccuTrigger myself, but I have grown used to it. The no name scope is said to be a bushnell, unbranded. It's basically a throw away. MOST package deals are this way, the bases and rings are not too glamorous, but work.

In your case, I'd elect the Nikon package.

The Scope being a Nikon and the Accutrigger are definitely worth the $80. DO IT!!!!!
smile.gif

If you want a package deal, then the Accutrigger and the Nikon will be money well spent. The Nikon will be good enough to get you started and it will more than likely get your money back in resale value for what the difference costs on the package deal, so the Accutrigger is FREE in the end and is well worth it. Some people will HATE the Accutrigger though and you may be one of them if you haven't used one before, but it is a better trigger than the plain trigger that Savage offers on their basic rifles and it can also be change out later for a better trigger if you choose to do so. Plus, you will probably be able to sell the Accutrigger and recoop some of the money. I think it is a win win situation.

Get #1, sell the scope or keep it on it. If you decide to get a better scope you can use it on a 22 like I did. I was not impressed w/the packaged scope on a gun that I wanted for coyote/antelope hunting.

I just bought the Trophy Hunter XP in left hand .223. I paid $15 more for the package than I paid for a left hand 7-08 three years ago. Unless you have an aversion to the Accutrigger go for it.

The Nikon scope is the only package scope worth keeping on the gun, so unless it is nowhere close to the quality and power range you want it is a great deal. BTW, the Nikon seems to be a late first generation Prostaff. I don't care for the BDC reticle, but that is a small issue. I just use the duplex and forget about the BDC.

Well, good thing all of them are Savage, I don't like the looks od the Axis... but I have the 111 and it shoots great, defiantly worth the $80 more for the accu trigger and nikon scope... Just like everyone else has said...

Thumbs up for Savage though!
thumbup1.gif

I have a Savage Model 12 and I really like the Accutrigger. I do have to admit that it was the first light trigger I have ever owned and I have little to compare it to. I think it would be difficult to replace a regular trigger for less than $100. As for the scope, I agree with everyone else. I never really look at gun and scope packages when buying because the scope leaves a lot to be desired. I would rather pick out my own scope. But I know money is always a factor. I'd go door number 1 as well.

If you get the accutrigger and find you don't like it it is very simple to remove the fin from the trigger and then it is the same as every other and you can adjust to get the trigger pull you like.

I did the hunter xp. Put the Bushnell on my 10/22. Put a Rifle Basix trigger on it and love it. More money than the Trophy package, but I ended up with it setup the way I wanted it for a decent price.

I have a model 12 also and I like the acutrigger. As everyone else said you can always dump the scope and get something better.

The nikon and accutrigger are definitely worth it in my opinon. Although the accutriggers are not for everyone, I have four and really like them. Good Luck.

I just bought a 22-250 mod 11/trophy hunter last week with the accutrigger and nikon bdc scope. I like the accutrigger, mine is pulling on average around 2.3 lbs. I've only shot a box of factory hornady 50grain vmax through it right now to sight in and it shot about 3/4 to 1 inch group at 113 yards.
justin

1. Model 11/111 Trophy hunter XP

My vote!

I just got one in a Creedmoor and love it! Was going to sell the scope but then bought another Savage 22LR and now it wears the Nikon.

As far as the Axis! I love my Edge but the only downside is no stocks are out for it yet. My Edge trigger is better then the Accutrigger but I would still suggest the THXP over the Axis. Just buy the Axis later on if you still want one but the 11 is easier to build on.

Last edited:
Back