Illuminated scope suggestion please...

d2admin

Administrator
Been using a German IV recticle illuminated VXIII 1.5-4x quite successfully for fox hunting for a few years. I am now hunting areas that have coyotes and shots will be longer. Looking to move to a higher magnification in an illuminated variable scope. I would appreciate advice on specific scopes from those of you who hunt with a red light at night with illuminated scopes.

The VX-Rs are good scope, I've been looking hard at the new VX-6 with the German with illuminated dot. The 2-12x42 would be a great all around scope. Also the Burris LRS are great scopes. My all time favorite scope for calling is 1.5-6x40 Burris Signature Select with Electro dot but like everything thing else something great they always discontinue it.

Howdy Brian. I spent the last couple hours researching. I amj leaning towards the VX-6 with the German with illuminated dot or long range recticle in 2-12x42. Gonna have to sell a few of my other Leupold scopes to pay for this one as I can't find it much below $1,000.

Buddy i have a leupold vxiii 3.5x10-50 30mm tube duplex and love it!

S5030086.jpg

I don't think you NEED another scope the 1.5X4 will do nicely to about 200yds. I think most of us are over scoped.
I have 2.5X8 Leupy's on all three of my calling rifles. I am considering putting a 1X4 Or 1.5X6 on one of them.
I'm hunting woods and field edges. A 300 yard shot would be a Loooooong poke for me. Most of my shots are 100yds or less.
Consider how far you are realistically gonna shoot.

I have loved my VX-III German IV Recticle 1.5-5x illuminated scope but I am selling it in the classifieds for the higher power. I don't need the higher power to shoot but there are alot of dogs around and I need to be able to crank up the scope to make sure it is 100% a yote I am shooting at. Guess I could just bring binoculars but don't like to carry stuff.

I like my VX-R 3X-9X 50mm CDS FireDot Duplex. For me the 3X is just right in tight quarters calling situations and I can crank it up if necessary.

CoyoteFence.jpg

I have 3 with Ill. Dot reticles and love them all. The nicest is the Alpen optics Apex XP 1.5x6x42 Ill. Dot. Next is the Elite 4200 1.25x4x24mm Ill. Dot and then a Bushnell Trophy 1.5x6x40mm Ill. Dot. The Tropy glass isn't the best but useable out to as fare as I can shoot.

Back