need a scope!!

mightymosin

i have a Palmetto State Armory AR-15, 16" barrel, 1-7 twist, free float UTG quad rail, houge ar grip, Magpul CTR stock. an im looking to convert to a 3-400 yard coyote gun. is the Nikon Coyote Special really the best scope for that setup or can i go with like the M-223 or a Leupold Mark AR?

There is no "best" and you CAN put anything you want on it.
The mag, and clarity of the the glass, and what you want to spend should be how you decide.

hmm i didn't know since some scope can be calibrated for the round, "Leatherwood CAMputer, Nikon Coyote Special" what you guys would choose for a AR setup for coyotes.

I just use a Nikon BuckMaster on mine. No need for gimmick stuff. Of the ones you mentioned, the Coyote special is a good scope, of you can learn to like the reticle. I won't touch a leatherwood.

ok no leatherwood i didn't know about them. i am looking at the coyote special in matte or the Burris Fullfield II since they do come with a free rimfire 3x9x40
smile.gif
give me a excuse to buy a .22 hehe

Hopefully Guys with the Coyote special will chime in about shooting coyotes at the ranges you mention while looking through a circle. 3-400 yds without a crosshair would be a stretch for my shooting. Good luck with your choices.

I shot a coyote special out to 500. It actually worked just as I was said to, the circles lined up well, and I was just about MOA out to 300, 400, 500. Never did try it on coyotes, though. It is certainly not a bench rest scope, but will get the job done.

The target is shot at 500. The center circle is a 3" circle. The holes in the top were a mis-judged distance. Bit, the CS is capable of long range performance when someone is willing to spend some good trigger time. It's different, but not impossible.

3shots, 500 yards, bi-pod, prone, rear bag.

1eed8fb4.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Nikon Coyote special and i am not comfortable at long ranges.

It is my short range scope on my .243 Remington.

I just bought a Savage .243 for long range and i added a Burris XTR Tactical 4x16x50 so i can reach out and touch something.

i talked with the shop via facebook im an they are holding me a Burris that they said would go good with my twist rate an heavier grain rounds.

Originally Posted By: mightymosini talked with the shop via facebook im an they are holding me a Burris that they said would go good with my twist rate an heavier grain rounds.

Wow, and you believe them!? A scope, calibrated to a twist rate, hmmmm.

If you can do simple math, any BDC reticle can work with any load.

i never said i believed them i just agreed lol, im goin to look at it thursday. i think all it is is just a fullfield or somethin like that.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I shot a coyote special out to 500. It actually worked just as I was said to, the circles lined up well, and I was just about MOA out to 300, 400, 500. Never did try it on coyotes, though. It is certainly not a bench rest scope, but will get the job done.

The target is shot at 500. The center circle is a 3" circle. The holes in the top were a mis-judged distance. Bit, the CS is capable of long range performance when someone is willing to spend some good trigger time. It's different, but not impossible.

3shots, 500 yards, bi-pod, prone, rear bag.

1eed8fb4.jpg

So that hole at the top comletely off of the circle was a fouler? Just kinda curious here.

There were 2 different 3 shot groups. There is another hole, just out of frame. But it was about the same size group. We didn't figure the down hill trajectory on the first shots.

I have a 4.5-14x40 Coyote Special. I have shot coyotes out to 150 yards with it. I agree with Dead Down Wind. I like the reticle better for closer ranges. Anything over 100 yards and I prefer a crosshair reticle.

Originally Posted By: scottmilk9I like my US Optics scopes!

thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

Thinking they are way more then he is wanting to spend though!

I love the Nikon 3x9 with the BDC ret and find it perfect coyote scope! Gives you the cross hair for the shoots you need and circles for you longer shoots.

I bought a Nikon P-223 a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with it so far. 5 round group under a dime! Of course, that was at the 25 yard indoor range. I have not gone for distance yet, I need more hours in the day.

I bought a Springfield Armory 4-14x40mm with the ranging reticle for my DTech upper'ed, Colt lowered .223. Haven't had the opportunity to get to the range though.

Back