Is NV or Thermal legal on PP in Colorado??

Do not rely on the internet for that kind of information, call your regional Game and Fish Office and speak directly with a game law enforcement officer.

They will be more than happy to give you the lowdown, as you as a taxpayer, deserve to have the honest truth, not some second or third hand internet opinion.....

The Colorado State Statutes and Constitution must specifically spell this out in black and white in the laws of the state, although sometimes the fish and game laws are in the Administrative portion of the laws and regulations. Search the current State of Colorado Constitution, Statutes, and Laws, they have to have it listed online....

There would have to be someone at the Game & Fish office who is a bonded law enforcement officer who would know the laws perfectly since they are the ones charged with enforcing them?

Colorado

Night Hunting: Allowed, artificial light may be used to hunt coyotes, all foxes, bobcats, skunk, and beaver on private land with permission of the landowner. A special permit is required to use artificial light on public land.
Contact the Colorado Division of Wildlife for exact permit details.
In all cases the hunter should contact the specific regional officer in charge to verify the presence of any additional restrictions that may be applicable to that region.

Night Vision: Not Allowed, use of any electronic device not specified in “legal methods of taking furbearers” is prohibited.

Phone: 303-297-1192
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Pages/Home.aspx

I just spent an hour at the main headquarters and felt like a Pin Ball from office to office.

Here is what i found out and i am keeping this person's card and having it laminated and i will carry it with me at all times.

I was told that on page #9 of the 2011 Colorado Small Game Guide section #9 it states; On private land, artificial light is allowed at night (Night Vision and Thermal falls under this category) to hunt Beavers,raccoons, coyotes, bobcats, striped skunks and red, gray or swift foxes with permission of landowner or agent.

For hunting public land at night, (page #9, section 10) same rules apply however you must obain a permit from the DOW officer in the specific district.
Permits will not be available during big game season.

I am still going to make sure i have something in writing from the Colorado DOW prior to purchasing any NV or Thermal equipment.

Good idea, also check to see specific weapon and ammunition regulations both on private lands and on public, they usually vary widely.

DDW,

I researched this for all 50 states last year. I actually verrified this with the CO authorities but....I know some game wardens tend to give the green light on such issues especially when dealing with nuisance species. Here is what they verrified for me last year as "accurate". Kevin

Colorado
Night Hunting: Allowed, artificial light may be used to hunt coyotes, all foxes, bobcats, skunk, and beaver on private land with permission of the landowner. A special permit is required to use artificial light on public land. Contact the Colorado Division of Wildlife for exact permit details. In all cases the hunter should contact the specific regional officer in charge to verify the presence of any additional restrictions that may be applicable to that region.
Night Vision: Not Allowed, use of any electronic device not specified in “legal methods of taking furbearers” is prohibited. Above verified with Colorado DNR.

Originally Posted By: HTRN57DDW,

I researched this for all 50 states last year. I actually verrified this with the CO authorities but....I know some game wardens tend to give the green light on such issues especially when dealing with nuisance species. Here is what they verrified for me last year as "accurate". Kevin

Colorado
Night Hunting: Allowed, artificial light may be used to hunt coyotes, all foxes, bobcats, skunk, and beaver on private land with permission of the landowner. A special permit is required to use artificial light on public land. Contact the Colorado Division of Wildlife for exact permit details. In all cases the hunter should contact the specific regional officer in charge to verify the presence of any additional restrictions that may be applicable to that region.
Night Vision: Not Allowed, use of any electronic device not specified in “legal methods of taking furbearers” is prohibited. Above verified with Colorado DNR.

so you are showing NV to be legal or illegal in Colorado?

I know of a well known hunter from Colorado that used NV in Colorado on some of his episodes....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

DDW,

According to my research last year, coyotes, foxes, bobcats, etc are all defined to be furbearers in CO. There was also a provision in the CO regulations that stated "use of any electronic device not specified in legal methods of taking furbearers is prohibited". If you look into the legal methods regulations there is no mention of night vision or thermal. I did verify the posting with the CO DNR who advised it was accurate. That said, it is now 2012 and some of these restrictions could have been changed. I provided the link to the CO DNR website so you can do the research and see if there has been a change. You can also call the number listed in the previous post and call the enforcement division. I know many states also have a permitting process whereby you can get permission to use otherwise prohibited equipment to take nuisance species so you should also check into that posibility. If you find something different than what I have noted please let me know and I will change the posting on my website. Hope this helps. Kevin

According to Statute 33-6-127 it is unlawful too use NV or Thermal at anytime in the state of Colorado.

This is a revised Statute from 2011 so if you are using this method in Colorado you are BREAKING the law.

I have been told that this issue will be brought up to the committee for possibly allowing NV & Thermal in Colorado.

It should be on the Ballot in mid - late August 2012.

So for now i will stick to my Kill light and LD ND3X50 laser for night hunting.

DDW,

Make sure you check out the availability of nuisance permits, many states seem to be very liberal about giving those out. Also, if you know who is on the committee (and get their email addresses) you could probably start a petition drive right here on PM and have members email petitions directly to the committee members. Good luck, Kevin

Originally Posted By: HTRN57DDW,

Make sure you check out the availability of nuisance permits, many states seem to be very liberal about giving those out. Also, if you know who is on the committee (and get their email addresses) you could probably start a petition drive right here on PM and have members email petitions directly to the committee members. Good luck, Kevin

Kevin,

You Da Man!

I will stop by the Colorado DOW office tomorrow to gather some information and hopefully get a petition started!

After all they are Coyotes correct? And we have plenty of nuisance coyotes that want to be shot:)

You can spotlight in Colorado but that is it. I would think the DOW would want night hunters clearly identifying their target and what better way than 3G NV and Thermal.

I believe they will allow NV and Thermal in a "DAMAGE" control situation for land owners and their agents, they told me if i were to witness a coyote eating a calf/cow that would be considered a Damage control issue, now we all know that the above situation is not gonna happen as often as one would think. I am sure ranch owners have witnessed this in their travels and they are in the pastures 24/7. I would probably have a better chance at winning the Colorado Lottery. * And i don't even play!

I appreciate your advice and i will start on it tom orrow.

Have a great night!

Kevin

Back