Learning to use the MRAD reticle in Vortex Optics??

Trapper Luke

Been thinking really really hard bout putting one of Vortex's Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP with the MRAD reticle on my Howa 270. The one and only problem thats holding me from buying one is not knowing how easy it is to learn how to use the MRAD reticle? I've never been around these type of reticles before all I know bout them is what they tell you on Vortex's website explaning the MRAD reticle. For you guys that use these type of reticles how hard is it to learn how to properly use them?

Thanks,
Luke

It's not really that hard Luke. There are basically 2 subtension units in that reticle--1 mil, and 1/2 mil. 1 mil=3.6 inch per hundred yards [IPHY] or 3.44 minute of angle [MOA]. That optic also has a turret that adjusts in .1 mil clicks. This is really nice since it's very easy to click from one line to the next. In other words when you run a ballistics program for your load, and fine tune it, then if a 575 yd. shot calls for 4.7 mils. you simply go up 2-.1 mil clicks and aim at the 4.5 mil mark.

Or if it's quite windy and the dope calls for 3.5 mils elevation and 2 mils windage, then crank up the entire 3.5, and aim into the wind 2 mils from x-hair axis.

Very simple system really.

Rangefinding is also made easier since you don't have to guess [interpolate] the entire 3.6 IPHY opening. The .5 mil mark is there which makes breaking up the unit easier.

The formula is

tgt. size ["] x 27.8 / mil. reading = range [yds.]

A 1/2 mil unit can actually be used for rangefinding even more accurately but the math becomes a bit more complicated if anyone's interested i can detail it, but the above will certainly get you started.

If you have no experience with MIL or MOA then there is no difference in the learning curve. It's all going to be new regardless. Make sure the turrets match the reticle, which Vortex does on both counts. If using one in MIL, set your range finder to meters if shooting MIL or yards if shooting MOA and spend time afield using the system you buy. First round hits require a dope chart to be verified either way. Correction shots are based on what you see in your reticle either way. If you're ranging based on the reticle, either build your chart based on the target size being in yards or meters and it works the same way. After that it is just a matter of which you like better or which you and your spotter can agree on if using one. A properly built dope chart or data book with your target size and holds will be more important than your choice of MIL or MOA.

Last edited:
You guys are confusing me.
unsure.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707You guys are confusing me.
unsure.gif

Me too but that ain't too hard. Why would you set your rangefinder to meters?

Originally Posted By: venaticOriginally Posted By: fw707You guys are confusing me.
unsure.gif

Me too but that ain't too hard. Why would you set your rangefinder to meters?

And why would you dial up .2 mil and hold the other 4.5 mil on the reticle?
I've got a couple of mil/mil scopes and I've never done any of that.

Where's skinney when we need him?
lol.gif

Last edited:
Keep everything on the same plane for simplicity. If you have a reticle calibrated in a measurement, and knobs that match, then set your LRF to the same. Whether it is MIL, MOA, squirrel tails, fathoms, milk jugs, etc. As long as you stay consistent, then it stays simple. I think a lot of confusion is created trying to force people into thinking one is right or wrong or trying to speak half one or the other due to our individual preference. If my dope chart says the chest on an elk is .5 fathoms at 100 fathoms, and my reticle verifies this and my chart says my hold is verified to be +1 fathom of elevation, and my turrets and reticle are in fathoms, then that is what will work. I think where the consistency shows most is plotting the points that are not verified along the path of the bullet. We're not born knowing MIL or MOA or which is easier. They are arbitrary angular measurements. It is all geometry and units of measure are pretty irrelevant as long as they are consistent. Sure you can make it harder and have a Mil reticle, MOA knobs, and range in yards, but why? It would be like doing math adding fractions to decimals without trying to convert one or the other first. Maybe I'm not doing a good job of explaining it
huh.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYIf you have no experience with MIL or MOA then there is no difference in the learning curve. It's all going to be new regardless. Make sure the turrets match the reticle, which Vortex does on both counts. If using one in MIL, set your range finder to meters if shooting MIL or yards if shooting MOA and spend time afield using the system you buy. First round hits require a dope chart to be verified either way. Correction shots are based on what you see in your reticle either way. If you're ranging based on the reticle, either build your chart based on the target size being in yards or meters and it works the same way. After that it is just a matter of which you like better or which you and your spotter can agree on if using one. A properly built dope chart or data book with your target size and holds will be more important than your choice of MIL or MOA.

Sorry Buddy. Mils and MOA doesn't have a dern thing to do with meters or yards. It's all about angles.

Originally Posted By: Trapper LukeBeen thinking really really hard bout putting one of Vortex's Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP with the MRAD reticle on my Howa 270. The one and only problem thats holding me from buying one is not knowing how easy it is to learn how to use the MRAD reticle? I've never been around these type of reticles before all I know bout them is what they tell you on Vortex's website explaning the MRAD reticle. For you guys that use these type of reticles how hard is it to learn how to properly use them?

Thanks,
Luke

If I can learn it, anybody can. Buy yourself a Mil dot Master if you intend to use it for ranging. It might take you 20 minutes to figure it out on your own. If you're smart enough to make enough money to buy one, you're smart enough to figure it out. There are instructions all over the net.

I have a couple of mil scopes as well and I just range in yards and if it says 600yds and my dope says 3.6 mils for 600 yards up I dial it a shoot. Since MIL is not metric I don't follow the logic but maybe I am missing something.

Jerry posted before i could type but what he said. +1
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: venaticI have a couple of mil scopes as well and I just range in yards and if it says 600yds and my dope says 3.6 mils for 600 yards up I dial it a shoot. Since MIL is not metric I don't follow the logic but maybe I am missing something.

grin.gif

My rangefinder reads in meters only and my scopes are a mix of MOA and MilDot. All my dope cards are stated in meters. Not a problem.

I guess my explanation got scrambled somewhere between my chair and keyboard
laugh.gif
. I should have not used the range finder reference the way I did in my previous example. My main point is that with your FFP setup, a hash mark is a hash mark is a hash mark. Regardless of what you use or at what distance or magnification. If you know how many hashes a specific sized target ranges at, and know how many hashes of elevation it takes to get to that distance, and you know your wind deflection in hashes, and your turrets match your hashes incrementally, then you can either dial or hold or do some of both if you wish, and you will be just fine. Don't get too wrapped up in MIL, IPHY, SMOA, MOA, etc... The choice is mostly irrelevant when your turrets match the reticle.

Originally Posted By: sscoyoteAnybody besides me ever regret being the 1st one to show up at a party?

Yep,
it's happened to me a bunch of times!!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: venaticI have a couple of mil scopes as well and I just range in yards and if it says 600yds and my dope says 3.6 mils for 600 yards up I dial it a shoot. Since MIL is not metric I don't follow the logic but maybe I am missing something.

grin.gif

The miliradian system and the metric system share a common denominator: they are both base 10 , using 1/10ths instead of 1/4s like MOA or IPHY.
Being a base 10 system is where their similarity both begins and ends...

How to use mrad?

Make a dope chart in mrad.
Range target with an LRF, or use mildot master to SWAG it.

Dial turret to your dope, figure the windage, hold & fire
smile.gif

If you miss, use your reticle as a ruler and correct for the second shot accordingly.

IN short, using mrad is no different than any other unit of measure. The application is the same, mrad just simplifies the dope values and the base 10 system is inherently easier to break down the reticle & target subtension. For me, at least...

What I'd like to see is an MOA scope with dots like a mildot reticle placed every 3 - 3.5 minutes apart. Then I could range in good ol merican inches. Don't need none of that French metric crap fogging up my shooten.

Originally Posted By: JerrySchmittWhat I'd like to see is an MOA scope with dots like a mildot reticle placed every 3 - 3.5 minutes apart. Then I could range in good ol merican inches. Don't need none of that French metric crap fogging up my shooten.

Jerry,
If you get a scope with a standard mil-dot reticle, wouldn't the dots be 3.6 minutes apart?
You can get that scope with MOA turrets.
Is that what you're looking for?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: JerrySchmittWhat I'd like to see is an MOA scope with dots like a mildot reticle placed every 3 - 3.5 minutes apart. Then I could range in good ol merican inches. Don't need none of that French metric crap fogging up my shooten.

Jerry,
If you get a scope with a standard mil-dot reticle, wouldn't the dots be 3.6 minutes apart?
You can get that scope with MOA turrets.
Is that what you're looking for?

I was looking for a smiley face but couldn't find one.

If you have an iPhone download an app called: Mil-Dot Ballistics. They have the Vortex MRAD reticles preloaded as well as a variety of ballistics data for various manufacturers. Lots of other reticles are preloaded also.

You will be able to visualize POI data on an actual Vortex MRAD reticle display.

http://www.mildotballistics.com/

Last edited:
I would also suggest to check out shooter ready. They have a demo on their website that will let you shoot a simulated 10 target session at different ranges. It helped me learn how to "mil". It also has the equations and a information that will get you familiarized with the usage of mrad measurements. Quite a useful tool.

Back